Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Look Up- Way Up

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Reddyman

This is an oil painting of the CN Tower, in Toronto, Ontario Canada. The perspective was very tricky with the vantage point looking up from the Union Station platform.
        It was a large undertaking at approx. 22 by 54 inches
        The railcars in on the left is the Go Train passenger cars that is a busy mode of transportation for people commuting into and out of the big city from surrounding towns.
        The skyscrapers are done in a reflective glass creating illusions based on reflections of all the skyscrapers tucked in beside each other.
        The other area which proved tricky was again reflective light within the under ground lighted area on the right.

Hope you enjoy.
        John

CN Tower Looking Up From Union Station
        (the Tower stands 553 metres tall and is a major tourist attraction)

Anonymous

Excellent perspective and this may sound a little nuts but, I think those 3 or 4 little highlights on the lower left side of the train make this painting. Well done John.

Reddyman

Thanks Hans…there was lots of reflective light to work with in this painting.
                I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

JOhn

Humburger

Very nice. I love it. Very well done.

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

I knew you were Canadian when I read your title!
                    This is a very different and interesting viewpoint of that iconic tower. I like it a lot.

Wendy C&C always welcome
                    Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Wow! Love it!

Christel

Ohiohawk97

This is awesome John! The perspective creates a lot of interest and takes the eye back and up to the tower. I am very impressed with the underside of the platform and the train. Great work and I bet it looks even better at that large scale….

Wes

Aussiesrus

Hey John – You have done a great job on what I assume was a difficult subject all round. The variation in detail & the perspective issue must have been challenging. Such a change from your usual subjects. Well done for trying something different & achieving a great result. Super !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                            https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                            I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Reddyman

Ginny
                                Thanks so much, it was challenging with this crazy perspective but happy with the end result. To stand there and look up the street this Tower is massive.

Hi Wendy
                                Thanks so much and very appreciative of your comments always.
                                I see you are from the East Coast…beautiful on our coasts for sure…such great people and wonderful atmosphere.

Christel
                                Thanks again for the comments…it was a pretty large undertaking with lots of details. Hope you are well.

Wes
                                Always appreciate your comments and the reflective light in this one as well as lots of straight edges made it tricky. Yes it is a large piece on the wall for sure.

Michael
                                You are absolutely right my friend….this is something out of the norm for me. A friend was asking me forever to paint this. You are so right about the perspective and variation in light sources,etc made it a tricky piece.
                                Thanks again.

John

eoghan

Looks great. It would look fantastic hanging on a wall at the top of the stairs where the viewer would walk up towards it. I love animation and also movie matte drawing – and this has some of those magical qualities. I took some some photos in Prague Train Station last year to make a painting and forgot about them – but you have reminded me and so thank you for the inspiration for my next painting!!

oldnmartist

Neat idea!

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

Dcam

Love the dynamic perspective in this John.
                                            Great use of complementary colors as well, adding to the drama.
                                            NICE!

Dorrart

Good work here John. It all works well together. Interesting point of view and nicely done.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Reddyman

Eoghan
                                                    Thanks so much, I appreciate the comments and there is nothing better than to hear my artwork gave inspiration for you to try one of your photos.
                                                    Looking forward to seeing it.

Oldnmartist

I appreciate the comments always…thanks again.

Derek

Thanks again buddy… always a pleasure to see your comments. Looking forward to your next wonderful piece too.

David

Much appreciated always…. yes this perspective was tricky for sure and lots of light effects. Have a great day.

Stay safe everyone.
                                                    John

Bardo

John,
                                                        I am a big fan of the upward looking perspective, and I know it’s very tricky, especially with more horizontal lines driving into (or out of) the canvas. Really well done, I love the tight palette and restrained use of detail, it really makes the painting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.