Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Hall of Fame Alizarin Crimson 6 months later

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Patrick1

After checking Brian’s lightfastness test in the Oil Painting Forum, which includes Alizarin Crimson, here’s mine. It’s W&N Artists’ PR83, indoors in a south-facing window, and mounted at approx. a 45º angle to better catch the sunlight. The right half is the control sample kept in a dark box. At the bottom is a tint with Titanium White. This is from April 2007 to Oct. 2007, though I’m not stopping any time soon, this is fun, I’m gonna keep it going.

By comparison, W&N Winton Cadmium Red Medium shows no visible fading, but I should’ve done a Quinacridone instead for comparison.

Super, thanks for posting this Patrick

This is from April 2007 to Oct. 2007, though I’m not stopping any time soon, this is fun, I’m gonna keep it going.

Hey, it’ll be no fun when it’s all white! :D

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Patrick1

Yeah, it’s getting close to the point where I wonder whether I should finish this torture test – if you let the samples fade too much, it can become difficult to compare the pigments to one another because there’s not much color left. But I’m only doing two pigments right now so what the heck.

I should note that lower down, the paint is intentionally applied extremely thin to get quick results; I thinned with artists’ thinner. But then again, I did the same for the Cadmium Red which so far is fine. The tint is applied thickly (perhaps a more realistic application for oils & acrylics), and it isn’t doing too hot either.

Brian Firth

Good to see your results. I am starting to think Alizarin Crimson isn’t lightfast! :) It looks like the 45 degree angle helped accelerate the tests even more. It is really apparent that Alizarin crimson is really fugitive in glazes, even worse than in tints with white.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
                -- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

Good to see your results. I am starting to think Alizarin Crimson isn’t lightfast! :)

:lol:

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Patrick1

Here’s Gamblin’s Alizarin Permanent vs. the real thing:

http://www.gamblincolors.com/artists.grade.oils/reds/img/alizarins.jpg

The description:

Alizarin Permanent: Cool, slightly bluish red with smoky glaze. Robert Gamblin has mixed lightfast pigments to form a true replacement for Alizarin Crimson. Slightly more intense in tint, but excellent match in masstone and transparency.

Pigment: Quinacridone red b, perylene red, ultramarine blue (PV 19, PR 149, PB 29)
                    Vehicle: Alkali refined linseed oil
                    Lightfastness I, Series 3, TRANSPARENT,

Even if the Permanent is slightly more intense in tints (I assume it means slightly higher chroma when tinted to the exact same value), are there any good reason(s) any more to use real Alizarin? (And I’m not asking rhetorically, I truly want to know if there are any good reasons).

Even if the Permanent is slightly more intense in tints (I assume it means slightly higher chroma when tinted to the exact same value), are there any good reason(s) any more to use real Alizarin? (And I’m not asking rhetorically, I truly want to know if there are any good reasons).

Unfortunately the answer to that is going to be subjective; anyone like us is going to say no (I think that anyway of course, regardless of there being a ‘suitable replacement’ :) ) but people in the other camp will generally continue to disagree from what I’ve seen – just look at the professional watercolourists that turn a blind eye to the issue.

Anyway, back to the Gamblin paint, I’d like to take the opportunity to repeat Richard Schmid’s comment, “as far as I can tell, it is a perfect match”. Now I’ve read one or two members’ opinions that disagree but hey, not like there are any guarantees in this world and we all know pigments vary (Ali Crimsons are by no means a single colour).

But all this is really beside the point: one does not need an equivalent colour as a replacement. The thousands of painters that don’t use a crimson paint, but do work of a similar type to those who do, show this with absolute clarity. PR177, PV19 of one type or another, PR264, PR N/A and of course PR122 could all take the rough position in the palette between red and violet; then it’s just a matter of adapting mixing routines/procedures, which really doesn’t take that much effort.

Einion

Patrick1

And then there’s the issue of tinting strength; if the replacement is higher in tinting strength, as long as it’s not excessive, it’s not difficult to simply change the mixing proportions a bit (just like you would anyways when switching from student grade to artists’ grade).

BTW, those artists that didn’t find Gamblin’s Alizarin replacement to be close enough, in what way did they say it wasn’t close enough? I don’t see a difference in the photo I linked to.

BTW, those artists that didn’t find Gamblin’s Alizarin replacement to be close enough, in what way did they say it wasn’t close enough? I don’t see a difference in the photo I linked to.

I had a huge problem searching for prior mentions of it with any negative comments about the colour specifically but here are two (from the same thread):

In spite of the fact that Schmid claims the Gamblin is a dead on match, I have not found it to be so…. The Gamblin and my Gamblin immitation mixes (from the same pigments Gamblin uses) came closest in value, [COLOR=”DimGray][b]but none matched the vibrancy and purity of the color alizarin[/b][/COLOR]*. Those that came closest in the vibrancy department lacked the dark value, though some were close.

What I noticed(my eyes only) is that the Williamsburg ‘Permanent Crimson’ retains the warmth, not as blue as the Gamblin, more like true Alizarin C.

I’m sure I’ve read others (since I don’t think I saw the thread the above quotes are from!) but it’ll have to remain hearsay if I can’t locate them.

Einion

*In relation to the bit you highlighted, slightly more intense in tint, I guess this must relate to tinting strength rather than chroma? I also read the wording to mean as you did, supporting the argument for clear, unequivocal language in paint literature. As far as I’m concerned intensity is a synonym for chroma or saturation or brilliance; if they didn’t mean that – i.e. if they did mean tinting strength – why didn’t they just say so?

Genuine aliz. crimson is very yesterday. It is rapidly disappearing from commercial watercolor and gouache. If one wants to flirt with danger, there are much more exciting fugitive colors with which to play, such as Opera (an aptly named color, as volatile and dangerous as Carmen herself); as well as less suggestively named colors, such as WN’s Primary Red Gouache(a fluorescent red, the color-equivalent of a potent central nervous system stimulant).

C&C is welcome.
                        Richard

JamieWG

Oh, this is so very unfair. I want to play too, and my samples aren’t showing anything yet! They’ve been in the window for 7 months. I think I’ll have to move them to an upstairs window, and tilt them too. I was up at the Golden headquarters a couple of months ago, and they had all their tests tilted to face the sun.

In my window are:
                            Winsor Newton Artist Alizarin
                            Grumbacher Alizarin
                            Utrecht Alizarin
                            Winsor Newton Artist Permanent Alizarin
                            Gamblin Permanent Alizarin
                            My own mix using the same pigments as Gamblin
                            Two other mixes of mine for permanent alizarin matches

I have found the permanent alizarins on the market to have equal chroma straight out of the tube, but less when mixed. The Gamblin perment alizarin is not as clean in mixes as the genuine. The Winsor Newton Permanent Alizarin turns more reddish in tints than the genuine. For me, either is close enough. I’m a little concerned about Marc Hanson’s tests for the Gamblin mix, and so I’m not trusting perylene PR149 at all anymore, until I can see for myself that it’s holding up in sunlight.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                            Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                            [/url]
                            One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Patrick1

Jamie, are your samples facing south (more or less) ? Yes, angling will help a bit. But perhaps the most important thing is making sure that the thinnest parts of the sample are drawn down VERY thin, which requires using thinner.

JamieWG

Jamie, are your samples facing south (more or less) ? Yes, angling will help a bit. But perhaps the most important thing is making sure that the thinnest parts of the sample are drawn down VERY thin, which requires using thinner.

Patrick, they’re in a south facing window, but it’s on the first floor, with a tree outside. LOL….Works fine in winter, but I probably lost quite a bit of sunlight in the spring and summer. I think it will fare better in an upstairs south facing window on the other side of the house. I was trying to avoid plastering lightfastness tests against the picture window in the living room. Maybe my husband won’t notice. ;)

I did not use thinner for the tests. I brushed squares of the samples three ways: thick undiluted, very thin undiluted, and cut half with white, medium application thickness. When I do more, I will take your advice and use thinner.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                    [/url]
                                    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Brian Firth

You don’t need to use thinner for the tests. It is more important to have tints with white. The purpose is to replicate how you would use the paints in a painting, and unless you are doing “stain” type paintings with extremely thinned paints, then the results wouldn’t be relevant to normal oil paintings.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
                                        -- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

Patrick1

You could do the entire test using white to lighten all the way to the lightest gradation, but as you can see you’ll be waiting much longer for the results; look at the tint on the right and find the same value of wash above it, and then compare the amount in fading in the tint vs. the wash. The light wash makes it easier to compare one pigment to another because it makes the differences much easier to see. Next time I’ll also do my tint in full gradation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
                                          • The topic ‘Alizarin Crimson 6 months later’ is closed to new replies.