Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Channeling Franklin Booth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    outsidelogic

Hi everyone, this is the first time I’m posting here, so I’m not sure about the protocols or etiquette, but it seems like I can start by uploading an image and asking for some critique. So here goes…

One of my major influences is Franklin Booth, and in this drawing, I think I’m guided by him even more than usual. It’s mainly markers, which is unusual for me (I do most of my ink work with dip pens), but I started with fine markers on the grass and just continued.

Anyway, there are a lot of accomplished inkers here, so if anyone has any critique or tips, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any suggestions for getting the most out of WetCanvas would be welcome as well. Thanks very much.

Glenn

katwalk

Welcome, nicely done, I esp like the treatment of the grass in the left foreground. I find the sky with the strong horizontal lines a bit distracting, but that is me, and it may be the look you were going for. I think I would have liked a finer nib, and the lines more on a diagonal, making the sky lighter in value, that would have left the foreground marks as the darkest which by convention they should be.

As for using WetCanvas be sure to check out a several of the different forums.

This forum can be relatively quiet, I often find it fun to try one of the monthly Pen and Ink Challenge images.

outsidelogic

Thank you for the comment. Interesting about the sky, because I was basically copying a Booth technique (see this picture of his: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wF-5B-g-YCw/S_U40qy1-RI/AAAAAAAABBM/7vTAHiuWgpE/s1600/04_booth_robertfrank_1925_prospect.jpg), but you’re right; now that I look at it, he used much heavier darks in the foreground. While his lines in the sky are fairly thick, they are somehow lighter in tone. I wonder if he used a diluted ink?

Glenn

Anonymous

Yes I like where this is going ,I too find the lines in the sky a bit too dominant. When booth was learning his technique he was of course copying wood engravings (unbeknown to him!), the important thing in engraving when depicting a large area of flat tone is to have your lines VERY accurately the same thickness & distance apart. That is extremely difficult to do in pen & ink, it is the work of an engravers burin to represent that flat grey rather than a pen. You really are setting yourself a challenge but if you insist upon it then you would find things a lot easier if you worked with a much larger piece of paper, at least double the size. Doing so would also allow you to use more pen thicknesses & therefore a much thinner & more rigid pen in the sky. Don’t forget Booth was working at least twice as big as any reproductions of his drawings you study in a book. Booth definately did not use any dilute ink in his work as the reproduction technology of the day simply couldn’t handle that at all.

outsidelogic

Thank you for the comment. That is extremely interesting about the paper size. I’m currently working with 11×14, and now that you say that, I can see how a larger paper would allow me to capture a much greater range of values. I will definitely try that. I knew Booth copied wood engravings thinking they were done with pen, but I had never heard that he worked in a larger format…or that he definitely did not use diluted ink. Thanks for that info.

I’m not too worried about the absolutely uniform lines. I think a little variation odds some more “life” to the image…but of course too much is just sloppy an distracting.

Thanks again for this valuable feedback…this is much more useful than the numerous “good work!” comments I get on deviantART (although I have gotten some very helpful and thoughtful comments there as well).

Glenn

Anonymous

Hmmm, I would think that 11x 14 should be big enough for your needs. Perhaps just using a finer pen for the lines would do the job ,perhaps the same thickness pen that you used for the clouds.
                            At one time I used to do very fine hatching similar to this & found it very helpful to rule a light pencil line every few lines using a square. Of course the lines were drawn freehand but it keeps things tight for a regular tone.

katwalk

I was looking at some of Booth’s images on-line yesterday prior to my commenting. He did some beautiful work, I can see why you want to base your work on his style. Anyway I wanted to see how he handled sky’s because the convention with pen and ink illustrators was to have breaks in long lines that are used as fill, breaks would be staggered so not to create a visual pattern, but the breaks would have made printing the lines easier back in the days of metal plates. It doesn’t look like Booth used breaks in his lines, but as many have mentioned he was copying wood cuts. Notice that in the reference you gave me the sky areas aren’t very wide compared to the rest of the image.

I did notice that his line thickness vary, of course he would have been using a dip pen and such pens run out of ink, also it is hard to keep pressure on a nib completely uniform, so there would be variations in the line regardless. I know you can’t get that with markers and probably do with your dip pen pieces so it is just something to think about when selecting a marking tool. It also looks to me that he used at least a couple of different sized nibs, one very fine and another (or several others) that made thicker lines, there is a lot of variation with his line thickness. Some of that could be pressure on the pen, but I would guess that he also used different tips.

Don’t know if besides studying Booth’s work you have also studied wood cut illustrations, but you might think about doing some research on them. Observing directly what he was trying to copy might give you some additional insights.

Whatever, keep up the good work. I keep telling myself that I need to get back to my dip pens and keep getting distracted with other projects, one of these days.

Hoplite

Booth had a lot of control over his line weight and line spacing – it’s just something you have to work at and acquire. Also, he was using scratchboard, and would sometimes be drawing lines and sometimes be scraping lines. You may wish to look at Bernie Wrightson, who would emulate Booth, but just with pen/brush and ink (as Booth was emulating Dore’s steel engravings with scratchboard).

outsidelogic

@pedlars pen: Thanks again for the comment. Maybe 11×14 is big enough, but now you’ve gotten me excited to try a bigger format. And thanks for the tip on the ruled lines…I do use those; my backgrounds would be even more uneven without them!

@katwalk: Thanks you for the thoughtful input. As a matter of fact, I just picked up an old (1907) book of Durer illustrations (450+ plates) for $10 at a thrift store! It’s a little water damaged, but the prints are high-quality. I’ve been studying that quite a bit. I’d actually like to try some sort of print making in the future.

Glenn

outsidelogic

@hoplite: Thanks for the comment. I wasn’t aware that Booth used scratchboard. I’ve got a couple of small pieces that I will play around with someday. It does make sense when I look at some his dark areas with very fine white lines. Also, I am a big Wrightson fan (especially his Frankenstein). I am in awe of his control with a brush. That’s another thing I would like to devote some time to in the future.

Glenn

Hoplite

[B]@hoplite[/B]: Thanks for the comment. I wasn’t aware that Booth used scratchboard. I’ve got a couple of small pieces that I will play around with someday. It does make sense when I look at some his dark areas with very fine white lines. Also, I am a big Wrightson fan (especially his [I]Frankenstein[/I]). I am in awe of his control with a brush. That’s another thing I would like to devote some time to in the future.

I completely forgot that I saw the originals to the Wrightson Frankenstein ($1100 each as I recall it, quite some time ago). But you can see that they were all adding ink to the page rather than scraping it away. It was a funny sequence in that Booth adapted one method to emulate another, and then Wrightson adapted a third to adapt the adaptation. So, you don’t have to go to scratchboard to get the look – but it is something to play with.

CrimsonChuck

This is excellent work. I don’t find the sky distracting or a huge departure from the look you were channeling. I really enjoyed the contrast between the clouds and the sky, had it been lighter the clouds might have been lost. I especially like the barbed wire. How long have you been doing pen and ink?

Anonymous

This may be a USA/UK difference in terminology, I don’t know, but in UK speech a woodcut strictly refers to a picture cut into the side of a plank (like Durer’s work) whereas a wood engraving is cut into the end grain of a very hard wood & is usually much smaller than a side grain cut woodcut.
                                                        The reason I mention this is that the two methods differ so much in their size & method of manufacture , tools used etc, that it is important to differentiate to understand the final resulting picture. BTW. have a look at Thomas Bewick’s wood engravings, he was a pioneer of the technique & took it to new heights that arguably have never been equalled since.

Hoplite , that’s very interesting that you say Booth used scratchboard – I’ve read many contemporary pen men & commentators specifically referring to his pen technique, usually in terms of its’ unsuitability for the pen ! Could you perhaps give me a link or book reference or even a drawing where scratch board was definitely used because I would like to chase this up for myself ?

mailwalker

AWESOME work/technique!

Hoplite

Hoplite , that’s very interesting that you say Booth used scratchboard – I’ve read many contemporary pen men & commentators specifically referring to his pen technique, usually in terms of its’ unsuitability for the pen ! Could you perhaps give me a link or book reference or even a drawing where scratch board was definitely used because I would like to chase this up for myself ?

Alas that a bunch of my books are packed away where I can’t get at them easily. The book I have (somewhere, dangit) is The Art of Franklin Booth (Nostalgia Press). There are newer collections out there. I believe in Franklin Booth, American Illustrator, it specifically describes his technique, which was a combination of traditional pen and brush ink, combined with scratchboard (whiteboard, where there is no ink already applied). The trick was to seamlessly combine the techniques so it was often difficult to tell where the one stopped and the other started. Virgil Finlay was another master of this, though his style was very different.

Most of the images on-line are simply too small to readily discern the technique used. Just put in “Franklin Booth Images” into a search engine and go spelunking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.