Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Acrylic on paper mounted on canvas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Could someone out there who does acrylic on paper mounted on canvas please let me know how the mounting is done or direct me to a thread, if this has been addressed before. I’m assuming the canvas is already stretched…please leave out nothing. Assuming complete ignorance on my end would be great.

thanks.
    Ilene

I know I’m just starting to paint in acrylics, but I don’t understand your question. I’ve done a couple acrylics on paper (watercolor paper 300 lb.) and I’ve done some on canvas. Haven’t heard of mounting paper to canvas.

Striving to create something pleasing and intriguing to the eye

www.marcasue.com

Msue,
    The technique is described just as I wrote it: such as, “‘Bobs Your Uncle’ by Robert Doe, 34″ x 24″, acrylic on paper mounted on canvas.” I always assume this mounting is done to get the price of a canvas work, but I don’t really know. I just see it more & more in the description of a work. I have a collage/acrylic/assemblage which I’d like to try this with but know no one personally who’s done it.
    Ilene

CarlyHardy

I’ve mounted other papers onto canvas to create a textured surface to work on….but have not tried mounting watercolor paper onto the canvas. With the other papers I coated the surface of the canvas with acrylic medium and the surface of the paper…to get a really good bond. The paper needs to soak in the bonding agent so it won’t lift off when painted. Then I coated the papers with gesso…a couple of coats which also soaked thru and formed a stronger base for the painting.

I know of a gallery which sells all of its works painted on paper…both acrylic and oils…but they are framed with the acrylic ‘glass’ in the same way a pastel would be framed. They gesso the papers with several coats before applying the paint also.

I’ll ask your question of some other acrylic sources…see if we can get an answer…
        carly

Greetings:

I paint primarily with airbrush, and have only ever used illustration board, after a few less than satisfactory attempts at airbrushing on drawing paper with watercolours, before I had a clue what I was doing.

I recently switched to a 100 percent acid-free illustration board surface, and have yet to complete a painting using the new board, so I’m not sure how it’s going to work out.

Illustration board is basically a piece of high quality drawing paper (textured or smooth) bonded to a cardboard (or, in the case of the acid free boards, rag) support.

I have never gessoed my boards, preferring the glass-like smoothness that the hot-press boards are manufactured with.

All my completed paintings are archival matted, and framed behind glass.

Keith.

——————
        Keith Russell
        Synthetic Sky Studios
        Science Fiction Fine Art
        [email protected]

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
        http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
        Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
      • The topic ‘Acrylic on paper mounted on canvas’ is closed to new replies.