Home Forums Explore Subjects Classical Art Instructional Video–Review and critique

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    dhonegger

I recently purchased an instructional video on classical still life painting, “Art of Painting” by David Leffel ($110 + $8 shipping) from Liliedahl Fine Art Videos online. I am extremely disappointed :( and have given them the following feedback:

[FONT=Arial]I am writing to give you feedback on my recent purchase. I understand that you have a no-return policy and I also understand and respect your reasoning. However, I also feel you need to have feedback regarding the quality of your product. Up front, I need for you to know that I am not a beginning painter.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial]At issue is the DVD “Art of Painting” by David Leffel. He rambles, often making no sense or repeating himself idiodically, while he is painting, rather than talking about his painting application and the picture he is working on. When he doesn’t have something nonsensical to ramble about, he is totally silent, giving no instructional information at all. I recognize that it is difficult to talk and paint at the same time, but he should not have tried. A voice-over, with related instruction to what he was doing, would have been a better resolve. I find it hard to believe that he represents the quality of art instructor at the Art Student’s League.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial]A specific case in point: he took advantage of a student’s question to take off on a self-directed, non-related tangent about painting in watercolor and pastels. This information bore no relationship to the student’s question nor to the video’s painting project whatsoever, no matter how hard I tried to find a cross-over relationship. I’m sure, if I continued to watch this video (I stopped before Session 2), I would find other specifics, but they would only be reinforcing the generalization I have given that covers the entire problem.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial]I found this expensive video non-instructional, non-informative, and a total waste of my time and money. This was my first purchase from Liliedahl and it will be my last as I don’t believe I can trust the quality of the products, based on this experience.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial]Rest assured that I shall not reprint, reproduce, or otherwise make copies to sell to hapless artists. I would be too embarrassed. I will, however, pass the word along on my art forums that I do not recommend this video as a learning tool, no matter who they buy it from. If I get feedback that, on the whole Liliedahl carries quality merchandise, then I shall reconsider a future purchase from you, but only after checking with forum members first, as I should have done in this instance.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
        [FONT=Arial]Thank you for your time and the fast delivery.[/FONT]

Their basis for no refund or exchange is “to protect Artist’s copyright”. I find this puzzling:confused: . An inability to return it for refund or exchange has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not I wish to break the law. I can break the law with an owned copy. But, in a perfect world…..sigh. While I find their policy baffling, I’m forced to respect it. But, that said, I must share with members that I do not recommend this video for serious artists, as I stated to Liliedahl.

My question to forum members is: Has anyone here purchased other still-life videos from them (or some other vendor) and had a good experience? If so, would you recommend one (or more) of them to me? Thanks a bunch for your input.

dhonegger

Following is a reply from Liliedahl and my complaint retraction.

>>>>>07-19-2008, 02:43 PM
            ArtVids
            New Member Join Date: Oct 2007

Re: Glad to have to you join, WC! Lilledahl

We received your very negative critique of Mr. David Leffel’s performance when we filmed his painting demonstration, named “The Art of Painting.” It may be helpful for you to know that Mr. Leffel is the person to whom you should aim your criticism and not Liliedahl Video Productions. He was doing a demo in front of a full class of 20 students and it was not our job to direct either his painting or his comments during that painting demonstration.
            Our job was, to the best of our ability, to film his performance in such a way as to provide the best possible reproduction of his performance, which we feel we did.
            Considering David’s painting ability, we feel that simply having the opportunity to see David paint is worth the price of the video, his commentary aside. If you take issue with his comments during his performance, then you are unjustly criticizing us since we had nothing to do with it, just as the national Portrait Society of America had nothing to do with what he said, or how he performed, while on stage during their latest national conference.
            Sorry you were disappointed in David’s performance, but you really should direct your comments to David Leffel, not to us.
            I should tell you that we have sold, literally, thousands of that video since it was filmed in 2000 and you are the only person who has taken issue with the performance of an artist who is acknowledged as being one of the world’s best artists.
            I can say that by you are missing out on some of the best art instruction videos on the planet, featuring some of the best artists on the planet, by directing your anger at us, instead of the performer. I would remind you, again, that we did not direct Mr. Leffel. We simply recorded his performance so that those who cannot attend a workshop with him would have some idea how he works.
            We sincerely hope your future art education doesn’t suffer because of your perception of David’s performance.
            Ralph Liliedahl, President, Liliedahl Enterprises, Inc.,
            Manager, Liliedahl Video Productions and Liliedahl Fine Art Studio.<<<<< I was unable to find a way to contact Mr. Leffel to personally share my issues. I could not find an online link to him and he does not show up in the current list of teachers at the Art Students League of New York. However, I re-visited the video with a more open mind and sent the following apology and retraction to Liliedahl: “Your comment “simply having the opportunity to see David paint is worth the price of the video, his commentary aside” caused me to re-visit the video with that in mind. Having done so, I retract my scathing criticism. You are so right and I want to apologize and thank you for opening my eyes to an aspect of learning that I had not considered. Had I not complained and given you the opportunity to guide me to this level of thinking, I would have missed an important learning opportunity. For that I thank you and will highly recommend Mr. Leffel’s DVD. I will share with the Classical Art channel your response to my complaint and include a retraction based on this new and enlightening information. Thank you for this opportunity to grow.”

dhonegger

Thanks, Dana. Life is full of challenges…..sigh!

halthepainter

I wish there were reviews available on instructional videos before you’re stuck with the purchase. I have purchased many instructional videos many of which are marginally helpful. I haven’t looked at any of my collection in quite some time. I’ll try to look back and try to remember which were good.
                    They’re not still life and not detailed on technique but I loved the John Stobart PBS series of videos. He is an incredible marine painter and other subjects. He went to 13 locations around the world and produced a painting at each location. He works with a very limited palette and produces incredible paintings. Each the videos focused on some aspect of art instruction and the locations were charming. Not a heavy dose of instruction but very inspiring.

[FONT=Fixedsys]

dhonegger

I agree, Hal. I’m surprised Wet Canvas doesn’t have a channel to handle things like products and books and videos. Those subjects seem to be handled within the individual channels. Or maybe we just don’t know where to look? Dana?

dhonegger

I just found “Product Review” under “Content Areas” (in that blue strip above, here). It doesn’t include videos and books, but maybe we can request that those subjects be added. I’ll go there and see who to contact. It would be great to have one place to see comments about videos and books. Amazon does it and I’ve not purchased books based on reader comments. Saved me money and grief. I’ll report back with my findings.

dhonegger

I just went into that Product Review area and there is a click-button for Category Suggestions. However, when I clicked, it has an error read on it, so I reported it as a bug. I’m sure it’s among the many that are occurring with the changes taking place. I clicked on other product review subcategories and it seems to be patterned after Amazon’s–rate by clicking on a star, then leave specific comments. Books and videos definitely belong there. I’ll try to remember to check in occasionally and make the suggestion as soon as it’s up and running.

WFMartin

My gosh, I don’t believe I would have spent $118 on a “how to oil paint” video if Leonardo had done the presentation! But, that’s just MY take on it.

When I was first beginning oil painting, I checked out a book by David Leffel from the library. I did not find it very remarkable. I personally believe him to be rather a “putz”, although he presented a couple of rules regarding the center of interest that seemed to be quite valid, I believe.

Sorry you got “burned”. I don’t believe you should have written the second letter. First impressions are always the best.

Bill

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

atelier_m

Different strokes for different folks … that’s what makes the world go around. My grandmother always used to say (although she was talking about men) that it is a good thing we don’t all want the same thing or there wouldn’t be enough to go around.

A book/video review section would be good for that very reason. To take an arbitrary example … even a good book on color might not fit the needs of a tonal painter. But, reviews would steer us toward the book we do need.

I have not seen the Lilledahl video, so cannot speak to it. I have taken David Leffel’s workshops a number of times … and the book about him, “Painting Secrets from a Master” by Linda Cateura is on my very short list of recommended books for my oil painting class. Obviously, I consider him worth returning to for repeated visits.

Granted, he does like to philosophize and take esoteric rambles as he paints. I sometimes have to process for awhile before I find the connection. I have found that upon reflection and growth, his comments were not as random as I originally thought. I was given his new book, “An Artist Teaches”, as a gift. It is certainly not an easily accessible book, but I am finding it worth the time it takes to digest. It is good to keep in mind that we grow in levels, and what may at one point in time seem obtuse and useless, can later become enlightening and the very fact we are looking for. Yet, the source hasn’t changed. We have.

(As an aside, I also recommend “Problem Solving for Oil Painters” by Gregg Kreutz who was David Leffel’s student. It covers much of Leffel’s ground in a Q&A format and in a very approachable and clear manner.)

As to the Lilledahl response, I find it odd for a business to not have the goal of making a customer happy … or at least to make an attempt to get to the root of the unhappiness. In his workshops, David is always kind and thoughtful to every question. He is high on my list of workshops I have taken, and in part because of his personality.

I am glad that you have come to a good personal resolution of your feelings about the tape. :)

“Just because we do not hear, does not mean that they did not say … atelier_m”

dhonegger

My gosh, I don’t believe I would have spent $118 on a “how to oil paint” video if Leonardo had done the presentation! But, that’s just MY take on it.

I felt that I would have paid that or perhaps more to attend a 3-hour demonstration in person. It’s just that I thought it would be an instructional demonstration.

When I was first beginning oil painting, I checked out a book by David Leffel from the library. I did not find it very remarkable. I personally believe him to be rather a “putz”, although he presented a couple of rules regarding the center of interest that seemed to be quite valid, I believe.

Sorry you got “burned”. I don’t believe you should have written the second letter. First impressions are always the best.

Perhaps you are right about the second letter, but I felt a need to respond. I will gladly recommend the video…..with a description of the content:cool: . And I DID learn that, as suggested, if you turn the sound off you can get something out of it:wink2: . I hadn’t considered that to be a valid learning experience:confused: , but I acknowledge that one could make it work.

Bill

For some reason, I was unable to “submit reply”. It kept saying that my message here is too short and that I have to lengthen it by at least 1 character. I don’t understand, but hopefully this little paragraph will do it.

dhonegger

Different strokes for different folks … that’s what makes the world go around. My grandmother always used to say (although she was talking about men) that it is a good thing we don’t all want the same thing or there wouldn’t be enough to go around.

A book/video review section would be good for that very reason. To take an arbitrary example … even a good book on color might not fit the needs of a tonal painter. But, reviews would steer us toward the book we do need.

I have not seen the Lilledahl video, so cannot speak to it. I have taken David Leffel’s workshops a number of times … and the book about him, “Painting Secrets from a Master” by Linda Cateura is on my very short list of recommended books for my oil painting class. Obviously, I consider him worth returning to for repeated visits.

Granted, he does like to philosophize and take esoteric rambles as he paints. I sometimes have to process for awhile before I find the connection. I have found that upon reflection and growth, his comments were not as random as I originally thought. I was given his new book, “An Artist Teaches”, as a gift. It is certainly not an easily accessible book, but I am finding it worth the time it takes to digest. It is good to keep in mind that we grow in levels, and what may at one point in time seem obtuse and useless, can later become enlightening and the very fact we are looking for. Yet, the source hasn’t changed. We have.

(As an aside, I also recommend “Problem Solving for Oil Painters” by Gregg Kreutz who was David Leffel’s student. It covers much of Leffel’s ground in a Q&A format and in a very approachable and clear manner.)

As to the Lilledahl response, I find it odd for a business to not have the goal of making a customer happy … or at least to make an attempt to get to the root of the unhappiness. In his workshops, David is always kind and thoughtful to every question. He is high on my list of workshops I have taken, and in part because of his personality.

I am glad that you have come to a good personal resolution of your feelings about the tape. :)

“Just because we do not hear, does not mean that they did not say … atelier_m”

I agree with all of your points. Well said. Coming from a business background, I learned that when complaining about something, be specific about exactly what it is that you found wrong. I did just that and they chose to take it personally as my holding them responsible for what it was that was wrong; hence, their best defense was a strong offense. My complaint was not about their service or their organization, it was about Leffel’s video. Puzzling, I agree, for people in business.

I sent them a separate email that I was unable to find a contact link for Leffel, but they have not responded.

They must be making a small fortune off Leffel’s video. They state that they have sold “thousands” since it’s taping in 2000. Not knowing exactly how MANY thousands they are aluding to, just averaging 1,000 every six months for 8 years would bring in $1,760,000. And frankly, they belong in the Guiness World Book for never having even ONE bad review on it. The odds are staggering and totally unheard of in business. If they truly have never received any criticism, then people are simply not telling them, because you can’t sell thousands of ANYTHING and not have a certain percentage of discontent, no matter WHAT the product:confused: .

All of this aside, I’m so sure that their other video instructors do not have the same style (what are the odds), that I have gone ahead and ordered Sherrie McGraw’s video “Still Life with Onions”. On a good note, Liliedahl does good video work. That quality was excellent.

I need to stop. No more on this subject. I can go on WAY longer than patience can last, so…….Thanks for the book recommendations.

On another related note, I discovered an online source where one can rent instructional art videos: http://www.art-video.com. I have ordered a rental of one of Gregg Kreutz’s. If it’s good enough, I’ll purchase it. I’ll let everyone here know the outcome of that experience–rental process as well as quality of rental DVD (they also have VHS, and in alot of cases, ONLY VHS–only okay if you still have a VHS player, which we do; but I have a DVD player that I prefer to use in the studio, so this would mean I’d have to view it in the living room. Oh well).

Thanks for your input. Happy painting!

dhonegger

Ah ha, Bill. I discovered why using “quote” ended up with being told I needed to have at least 1 character. It wasn’t recognizing anything I responded to within the quoted matter. I’ve seen others do this successfully, but I guess I don’t know how. So…..sorry about all the jumble, Bill/folks, that will cause you to have to figure out what Bill said and what I said. Isn’t the learning curve fun?

atelier_m

Yes, keep us informed about the Sherrie McGraw video and the video rentals. I keep wanting to order Sherrie McGraw’s book on drawing, but it is a pricey one to buy unseen.

atelier_m:)

dhonegger

I just received Gregg Kreutz’s video “The Art of Still Life Painting in Oil” that I rented from Video Learning Library (http://www.art-video.com) and am so THRILLED with it that I’m going to buy it ($79 and the rental fee of $12 applies). Gregg is a TERRIFIC instructor!:thumbsup: :clap: I’m very eager to get to work on a still life using this technique! Happy, happy, happy dance!!!! :music: :clap: :clap: :clap: :music:

dhonegger

I’ve reviewed Gregg’s video and now I’ll go back and take notes. I will definitely share what I’m learning from it.

Also, yesterday, I received Sherrie McGraw’s “Still Life with Onions” video. She’s slower in her presentation than Kreutz’s crisp approach, but definitely has something to offer, as far as the brief skipping review I’ve done. She’s very contemplative (which causes more lag than I like) but keeps her verbal focus on the painting, which I do like. When she answers students’ questions, she stops painting and directs her full attention to the answer :thumbsup: .

As with the Leffel video (both videos follow the same format), the palette is laid out in the beginning with each color identified; but after that, she dips into the paints without identifying the colors (as does Leffel), so one needs to sketch out the palette and identify the colors on a separate piece of paper to follow along with the color combinations.

In this video, she masses the dark areas, (with more contemplation than I can stand–I want to reach out, take her hand, and say “just put the damn brush on the canvas” :evil: ), then immediately sets in the highest highlight on the pot; she then lays in the surrounding colors. She says she sometimes works this way, but not all the time. In this case, she thought it advantageous (but I don’t remember why, if she gave a reason, because I was only skimming the video). Again, I’ll be going through this 4-hour video and taking notes which I’ll share.

All in all, both videos are good, but for the price I’d recommend the $79 Kreutz video over the $150 McGraw video, if one were to select only one in this genre (classicial still lifes) to buy. The seriously budget conscious could just rent the Kreutz video for $12 ($45 annual membership in order to rent as many of their videos as you want during the 12-months the fee covers) for the 7 viewing days they allow before it needs to be returned to them (or pay another $12 for another week of viewing).

Well, that’s all for now. And like I said, I will share my notes from both videos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.