Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Talk Hard Pastels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Crechat39

Hello again.
        I normally work in a very loose fashion using my beloved Senneliers large and small sticks. However, I’m currently painting a view of Manchester, UK, my home town, from a wonderful photo taken recently during a heavy rainstorm. It’s very Lowryesque . I need to add some fine marks and need a harder type of pastels to do this.
        Suggestions please. I’d only need a limited range of colours for this painting. I can’t afford anything too expensive.

Margaret

terriks

Hi Margaret! A “harder” oil pastel that still blends easily would be the Mungyo Gallery Artists’ Soft brand. (Mungyo makes an even harder one, also called Gallery but without the word “Artist” in there, so look closely if you decide to browse.)

If you only need a few, these are available online in a typical set of 12 for under 10 USD.

There are certainly lots of inexpensive/student grade oil pastels available that will be harder than Senns, but might be so waxy and flaky they’d be more trouble to use for your purpose. These Gallery Artist are a very good value, and I can personally attest that Senns will glide over them easily. They play together very nicely. :)

A second choice would be Sakura Cray-Pas Expressionist. Student grade, very inexpensive, available in sets as well. Harder and waxier than the Mungyos, but might do well.

Hope this helps. Would love to see your final painting posted here!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Hi Margaret! We usually work the harder op’s first and then the Senneliers on top. You could try using Dermatograph markers or even graphite pencil for the fine details.
            Looking forward to seeing your painting.

Christel

Crechat39

Many thanks for your thoughts. I have today received a box of Cray-pas which i’ll try when I get to that stage on my current painting.

terriks

Wonderful – good luck with the painting! Hope to see you posting your work here. :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.