Home Forums Explore Subjects Illustration How to draw perfect curve lines?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mega_biscoito

Hello

I’m not a professional drawing.

In the next images, I would like to ask how to draw such perfect curves lines like in the illustrations.
        Should I use French Cruve? (they seem a bit time consuming and sometimes error can occur). Or shoud I use a flexible ruber? Or should I train my hand to draw in such a perfect was (it’s a bit difficult I think?)

Thank you

mdcampbellart

I’m a professional illustrator, so if I were drawing these kinds of images, I’d probably sketch out the linework very carefully and lightly first, then going over it again once I established the lines with whatever medium I was working with (marker, paint, pencil, pen, etc).

Yes, you can definitely use a French curve or maybe try a Flexible ruler which cost about $10-20USD, depending where you shop.

They are great for just sketching the linework out to finish later.

I do recommend practicing a lot, first, to get your hand and the muscles in your hand/arm to move in the ways that you want to draw.

Just my thoughts. Good luck! :)

My YouTube Channel is for inspiration, motivation, and education.
            My 9 Lives of Mercutio[/url] monthly blog is for intimate experiences in art.

talisman

With these curves a french curve would be perfect.
                The arch of the foot is very stylized.
                The details I think would be better free hand, like Soupcan said lightly then bold and embellish.
                Good Luck!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                C and C always welcome.
                My DeviantArt Gallery

Traffic NYC

Curves are in a great deal of things you’ll want to draw. And a lot of people struggle with them even when they don’t realise it.

There is one technique to draw perfect curve lines!

Draw straight lines followed by curves

[*]From the Pen tools group, select the Curvature Pen tool.
                      [*]To create the first anchor point, click or tap anywhere in the document.
                      [*]Click/tap again to define the second anchor point and complete the first segment of the path. Click once (default) if you want the next segment of your path to be curved. Double-click if you want to draw a straight segment next.
                      [*](Curved path) Using a mouse or on a touch device, drag the pointer to draw the next segment of your path. While the mouse button is pressed down, optimize the curve of the segment. The previous segment is automatically adjusted to keep the curve smooth.
                      [*](Curved path) Release the mouse button to drop the anchor point and complete the second segment.
                      [*]Draw additional segments and complete the path.
                      [*]When you’re done drawing, press the Esc key.
                    DSPIT

Like soupcan says, I always taught, draw it lite, until its right. Then go over it with your medium. practice will surely be your friend and don’t get upset over the learning curve. Personally I would use French curves with maybe some ellipse and circle templates. one huge note on this. If you are inking and using these tools, you need the kind that have either bubbles that raise the tool off the page or a special edge. if the tool you are using do not have this, the ink will suck in under the tool and ruin your work. an old drafting technique would be to put a couple pieces of tape on the side of the tool that is against the paper as to lift the tool off the paper. this may all sound difficult,,,but you will see,,,,if you don’t. good luck.

The only thing that surprises me anymore, is that I can still be surprised:D

Like soupcan says, I always taught, draw it lite, until its right. Then go over it with your medium. practice will surely be your friend and don’t get upset over the learning curve. Personally I would use French curves with maybe some ellipse and circle templates. one huge note on this. [B]If you are inking and using these tools, you need the kind that have either bubbles that raise the tool off the page or a special edge. if the tool you are using do not have this, the ink will suck in under the tool and ruin your work. an old drafting technique would be to put a couple pieces of tape on the side of the tool that is against the paper as to lift the tool off the paper.[/B] this may all sound difficult,,,but you will see,,,,if you don’t. good luck.

Bold mine, that is some smart advice!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                        Find me on Instagram
                        Find me on Facebook

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.