Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Who’s heard of Devoe Pastels?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Devonlass

Does anyone know anything about Devoe Pastels? I just purchased an antique wooden box on e-Bay which I think will be great for carrying my Pleine Air pastels, and inside the box were 36 Nupastels and 30 Devoe Pastels. I have tried them and they seem similar in hardness and color intensity to Art Spectrum but I can’t find any information about them. All this was for sale for $10 (plus $10.66 shipping). They’re obviously old, but still in great condition.

Carol
        C&C always welcome
        My Blog

Lynndidj

I’ve got nothing. Never heard of them!

Lynn

Don Ketchek

Don’t know if this answers the question, but there used to be a paint and art supply company named F.W. DeVoe & Co. that started in NYC and then expanded to Chicago. All the Google references mention dates in the 19th century. No mention of pastels specifically.

Don

Tom Perry

They were a company in New York. F. W. Devoe. They carried all sorts of art supplies. You will find several references if you Google F. W. Devoe, Devoe Pastels etc. A lot of paintings turn up at auction on panel with the manufacture by F. W. Devoe afixed to them. I think the Company was around since 1874. I have seen adverts circa 1902 in old catalogs.

I don’t know if Devoe brand paint is a connection or not maybe you could pursue it.

Tom
                    See My Gallery

noctilio

I also recently picked up a set of 72 pastels from the Devoe and Raynolds Co. The company says that it was est. in 1754 and they’re out of New York and Chicago but other than that I’ve found out nothing else.

johndill01

A few months ago, I found a wooden box of Devoe pastels in an antique store, but decided to pass it up due to the price. Most of the pastels had been used pretty hard, so the only value was the wooden box. Maybe I made a mistake in passing on these. :)

John

Potoma

I would worry about their composition and them being light fast. Although I love old things, I prefer new when it comes to pastels.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
                                Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
                                beth15005

I’ve heard of them. Wish I could get some. I wonder what brand is most like them ( ?)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.