Home Forums The Think Tank Art History Discussions Productivity of famous artists

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    eonworks

Some 3 years ago I started a thread on this forum about the productivity of famous artists. I listed several artists along with the number of paintings and drawings each had produced. Since that time I have researched over 50 artists but could only find reliable information on 31 of them. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to find information on the number of drawings many of these artist produced. In some cases I could only find a total of works created with no distinction between drawings and paintings. I’m sure the data I’m looking for is out there somewhere, but I could not find it. I have compiled my findings into a table which I posted on my website:

http://www.art.eonworks.com/archive/2018/how-prolific-were-famous-artists_20181204.html

Comments, corrections, and critique is welcome.

Interesting. I just thought I’d pass on that according to Christian Nebehay, in his book “Gustav Klimt, from Drawing to Painting”, there’s over 3700 of Klimt’s drawings in a recently published catalogue raisonné. I think he actually did far more, but he was rather careless about them, and lots were lost after his death. But if you could get hold of a copy of the catalogue raisonné, as well as similar for other artists, it might help you along.
        Cheers,
        Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
        I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
        Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

eonworks

Thank you caldwell.brobeck. I have updated the table with the information you provided on Klimt. And you are right about catalogue raisonné, but unfortunately such books are too expensive for me.

:lol: I think they’re too expensive for most of us. But they are sometimes available to view through university libraries or private foundations, or those institutions might have people who could provide the information you’re looking for. Using Klimt as an example, perhaps the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts:
            https://kadk.dk/kadk
            could help you. Or perhaps the (private) Klimt Foundation?
            https://www.klimt-foundation.com/
            There’s similar for a number of artists, 20th century ones in particular.
            Anyway, good luck, it looks like an interesting project.
            Cheers,
            Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
            I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
            Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.