Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SarahJane0203

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and a new artist although I have been painting here and there for years, I have only recently got serious about it. I live in Ontario Canada in an area that has an art gallery on every corner and is swarming with tourists. I love painting pets and wildlife and I have recently decided to start painting pet portraits and hopefully selling them. Any pricing advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my most recent painting. It is 16 x 20 Acrylic on Canvas.

Thanks Sarah

Robin

Hi Sarah! Cute doggies, I like the one on the left especially and admire anyone painting in acrylics, I just don’t get them!!!!

Anyway, when I was starting out, I looked online for artists similar in style and ability and priced just below them, and just kept increasing my prices as the demand went up. You will find word of mouth works really well.

One caution, though. Now you have people who print out a photo of a pet on canvas, then just texture it or paint over the print. They are easy to tell, they look “off”. Many of them price very low, since they can churn them out very quickly. So keep that in mind with pricing, and good luck.

Robin

SarahJane0203

Thank you for the advice and for the caution, those cheaters just out for a buck without any creative challenge/skill.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.