Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Art Instruction DVD suggestions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I’ve been soaking in the title suggestions for landscape painting books over in the landscape forum. Is there a thread that collects DVD suggestions?
    If not lets start one! The local library has many art books but only one DVD/tape on art instruction. I know many titles have been mentioned but they are scattered all over the place in several forums. BillF

JamieWG

Great idea, Bill. I’ll start by saying that I don’t have any. hehehe….So I’m eagerly awaiting recommendations too!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
        [/url]
        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

You and me both. Can you believe in this day and age that I have not seen any art instruction videos/DVDs? BillF

mipleinair

Bill
            There is a great site called smartflix. They rent art dvds. I just watched the Kevin Macphearson studio one and its one of the better ones I have seen. I also got the scott christensen field study dvd and felt like he was just copying paintings that he had already done. A friend has the Matt Smith DVD and said it was great. Hope this helps
            Mike Clark

I agree with Mike, SmartFlix is a great site, I’ve rented many dvds from them.

Though I usually stick with the portrait and figure ones, I was among the first to rent both of Jay Moore’s landscape videos. I’d read great things about them elsewhere, but I was disappointed myself. “Painting the Way the Eye Sees” was one of the most poorly shot art videos (in every way) that I’ve watched. “From the Field to The Studio” was shot indoors on making a big painting from a study. Very large painting, lots of detail, better lighting, better quality shots, etc… overall the better of the two but I still didn’t get much from it.

The Richard Schmid Landscape Videos are pretty good, different but good.

I almost rented the MacPherson DVD this week, but went for another portait DVD instead.

Edit: These are the videos I have rented or am renting. I’d review them all if I had more time, but for now I could answer a few questions if anyone’s curious about particular ones.
            Best
            Scott Burdick: Peru Colors (Amazing)
            Scott Burdick: Painting the Figure (Love it)
            Scott Burdick: Rebecca Firelit (Love it)
            Dan Gerhartz: Warmth (Love it)
            Dan Gerhartz: Painting a Portrait (Very Good)
            Daniel Greene: Erin (Love it)

Very Good
            Richard Schmid Paints the Landscape: June
            Richard Schmid Paints the Landscape: November
            In the Studio With Moran Weistling ( deep )
            Gregg Kruetz: Mastering the Portrait of Rose

Didn’t care for
            Richard Schmid: The Captain’s Portrait
            Marc Chatov: Painting a Portrait
            Tom Browning: Painting a Figure
            Alice Williams: Painting the Figure
            Ramon Kelley: A Character Portrait In Oil

Coming this week
            Robert Johnson: Painting Pansies
            Robert Johnson: Painting Roses
            Raymond Kinstler: Painting a head, My Approach
            Greg Kruetz :Painting the Female Nude, Sandra
            Scott Christensen :Three Landscape Studies

JamieWG

Mike and Neal, wow, what a great start to this thread! Thank you both so much!

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                [/url]
                One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Didn’t know about smartflix, thanks a bunch for that info!! Recently bought Albert Handell’s DVD, oil, 2 DVD’s, just awesome.

Bill
                There is a great site called smartflix. They rent art dvds. I just watched the Kevin Macphearson studio one and its one of the better ones I have seen. I also got the scott christensen field study dvd and felt like he was just copying paintings that he had already done. A friend has the Matt Smith DVD and said it was great. Hope this helps
                Mike Clark

Thanks Mike, Neal and Jean. Exactly what I had in mind. I wonder, does netflix have instuctional videos? Is smartflix part of netflix?
                Bill

Thanks Mike, Neal and Jean. Exactly what I had in mind. I wonder, does netflix have instuctional videos? Is smartflix part of netflix?
                Bill

No, smartflix is unrelated, unless they were secretly bought out… though maybe they’re hoping for that with the name and their growing popularity. Don’t know if netflix does, I’ve never checked but I suspect they’d have much fewer if any because of the high cost of many instructional DVDs compared to regular ones. Might be worth checking out.

annabella2

some of my favorites, not mentioned- (I own a ton of videos! love them!)
                    >Ian Roberts– the one on painting plein air, best plein air instructional I’ve seen – not the composition one, the other one
                    >I agree about the Scott Burdick and and Dan Gerhartz vids- I have Rebecca, Firelit, and Warmth. Both excellent.
                    >Greg Kreutz, I’ve only seen the one with the brass bowl and fruit- wonderful still life video. He paints like David Leffel, only you can actually manage to stay awake during his video, unlike David’s. (He speaks in a low, hypnotic drone, which knocks me right out)
                    >Robert Johnson: the ones that Lilidahl puts out are very good. Robert is a wonderful teacher, and very good at teaching to paint flowers.
                    >Craig Nelson, Better Painting in 60 minutes I like this one because it teaches you the value of quick sketches, putting down a stroke and leaving it.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Anne Stickney
                    my webpage...

My blog
                    skipstah

Anyone offer up a review of Kinstler’s new one “painting the portrait, my approach”. I see it heavily adverstised now, but haven’t heard anything about it.

WEBSITE

mad mike

For landscape painting, I’m kind of surprised that no one mentioned our own Larry Seiler!

I have his first “eBook,” Landscape Painting – The Art of Seeing and Doing. This is a CD in pdf format. I’ve also just ordered his new one on painting waterfalls.

I love the first one, I’m sure the new one will be just as good. The prices on both are more than reasonable, too.

You can see them, HERE.

Mike S.

Sam Cree

Anyone offer up a review of Kinstler’s new one “painting the portrait, my approach”. I see it heavily adverstised now, but haven’t heard anything about it.

I went to Kinstler’s workshop last month and loved it. I love the dvd as well. My work became both more relaxed and more accurate after hearing what Mr. Kinstler had to say about painting.

Donald_Smith

Well, Jerry Yarnell is one of my favorite instructors. He has VHS and DVDs. You can buy them straight from Jerry at http://www.yarnellart.com/ I also buy used ones off of ebay. One of my favorites is the video on brush strokes. He talks about dry brush, using a rigger for making tree limbs, scumbling, and others. I’ve watched it at least 3 times, and every time I pick up a little something I missed the previous viewings. Sometimes it is on the same type of stroke. It’s also interesting to just watch him paint. He is a good instructor, and I’ve been to one of his workshops and enjoyed it too.

Don

"We are never really happy until we try to brighten the lives of others." Helen Keller
                                    A Painter's Quest

Derek C Wicks

My Power To Paint art instruction videos are also available to. I have attached a sample of the videos from my youtube page for you to have a look. Good luck and remember to always have fun painting!

Sample Video On Youtube

"I can think of no other feeling more glorifying than the pride of creation"
                                        View My Wildlife Art Website
                                        View my Art Academy Website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.