WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Computers and Technology for Artists
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2003, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
guestbook question

Wondered if anyone can shed any light on this. If so, please would you pm me?

I have a website - www.jackiesimmonds.co.uk - and on the gallery page, I have two links to a Guestbook - "view" and "sign". I had LOADS of wonderful replies in there, but someone wrote to me recently to say that nothing had been entered since 2002. I couldn't believe it. All my messages have disappeared.

I went to the website of Guestbook.com, and they seem to have a new system in place, initiated just this October without informing their members, where they only allow you to sshow 10 messages before you have to pay to upgrade.

I am happy to upgrade, BUT I WANT ALL MY MESSAGES BACK. Has anyone done this? I am waiting for their cusomter services to get back to me - as you can imagine, they arent exactly fast.

It would be a weight off my mind if I knew someone else had had this problem and had solved it by upgrading.
I am really upset. The messages were SO nice.
??
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Immortalized
L5

Well I have no experience with guestbooks.com, so I can't help with that, but have you considered putting your own guestbook on you site, using a cgi script, or a php script?
There are many free ones out there.
look at :
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/
or
http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/
they have all sorts of them under guestbooks.
They are a little more work to set up than what you're using now, but might be worth it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2003, 05:53 PM
atlanta

Hails from United States
I used to thrive on my guestbook, seeing a nice comment every other day on my art. But after about a couple of years I decided that I would rather not have one to the "GUESTBOOK SPAMMING" that goes on now.

SPammers have used Guestbooks to grab personal emails, submitt URLS (that you do not want) and use it send emails out.

I believe guestbooks are something of the first chapter of the internet, but I don't see them being popular in the future.

skinns
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States
Jackie,
I just read your message about the Bravenet Guestbook problem. I immediately went to mine (that is who I use, also) and all my message back to June of 2001 are still there. I don't seem to be having the same problem that you do. Are you sure about the 10 messages and then you have to upgrade? Where did you read that? I went to their web site but did not do any extensive looking but on first look did not see that notation.

I know it's been a month since you posted this thread, but have you done something else for a guestbook?

Marsha