WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2019, 02:00 AM

I am stuck.

Good day. I figured the creativity forum would be the best place to post this. As you can see from the title, I am stuck. I'm blocked. However way I phrase it, there's no creativity coming from me. I think my mind is muddled with so many thoughts on trying this, mastering that, where to begin, where to go and so much more that I find myself not doing much or anything at all. It all hit me today when I sat at my desk from morning until 3 PM and all I managed to do was open a box I got from amazon and scroll through instagram. Then when 8 pm rolled around i was pretty unhappy with myself. I'm an abstract painter primarily but I do illustrations as well. I just can't find the motivation or the inspiration to pick up my brush and have a go. I have 5 blank canvases sitting around me and I still can't bring myself to get up and start creating. I think my illustration journey is where I find most of my creative block though. For all of the illustrators out there, where do you find your inspiration for a piece? How do you bring out your creativity to illustrate something that tells a story? Even if its just an illustration of random items? Also, for me, Im really feeling like every time I get an idea in my head for one, I talk myself into thinking its too daunting and why should I even attempt it? For those that struggle with similar feelings how do you overcome it?

Thanks for reading my rant/frustration (very frustrated over this!)

My website:http://www.jcarti.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: I am stuck.

Here's a still life challenge which may help.

Here's an index of challenges which may inspire you.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I do illustrative art. I do not illustrate some actual "story." The story grows as I "illustrate." There are 2 ways to this, you can get a story, and illustrate it or you can illustrate a story that does not exist (or is in planning stages). I watched a Star Wars "Making of" documentary. Ralph McQuarry, the man who first illustrated Star Wars, had no real idea of what the film would look like, what the characters looked like etc. He pulled together what was there, put his mind to the various planets, people and events that were described. So you can simply start with "an idea." I always think, "what do I want the final result to be like" (not look like), "what experience do I want a viewer to have?" What is the take-away. How does that take-away coincide with my artistic principles, and my stated artistic goals? How does this fit in with my "life's work?"

You could illustrate something that has already been illustrated as well. Re-do something you are inspired by. People learn by emulating (or you can also say "copying") Don't copy though, do it your own way in your own special style. Writers often grapple with this problem. To fit into popular genre writing, (for instance, science fiction, mystery, romance) you must do things that have been done before, use a template, or design that is typical of all other things of the same genre. In art, genres exist as well. Learn about the genre you are interested in. Use what you have learned from others and create your own special "voice."

As far as being "blocked." Cognitive scientists and others have studied this problem, so you are not alone. All creative arts are about making "something new." Education-- meaning the education that you have probably gone through is about conforming to a potential work environment. If you went to public school, the lessons were not about being an independent creator, they were about becoming an office worker or drone, taking instruction, and being a taxpaying "employee" of some corporation. That is the stated outcome of public education.

Cognitive dissonance exists between what you have been taught (conformance and obedience in preparation for entering an employment system), and being a self-employed independent creator (which artists are whether they work at another job or not).
Self-employment takes a whole different set of skills, and they are not taught at school (or at least, not to any great extent). Thus you must become autodidactic. In many cases this means you need to learn about learning all over again, and begin to change your behavior and habits in a way that you can move to your goles.

So, If I listened to my own advice, the first thing I would do is make a plan, and take a month off and look up information about re-training yourself regarding the best way to work without instruction, alone and on your own. As far as illustration, take out your portfolios and ask yourself what your next step would be? This is up to you. What is a natural progression between what you are doing now (or have done in the past) and what you believe your final goal should be. Are you ready to start illustrating for other people? Do you want to write a story and illustrate it? What do you want to do?

Anyway, this might help you out. I don't know because I don't know your work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Immortalized

I've been blocked very unusually for me cos I usually just keep painting or sketching till I get my mojo back, but this time because we' ve been having so many problems my ploughing through hasn't worked.I'm an absract painter and so I decided to shake myself up a bit and am actually doing a painting based on realism. It's keeping me interested and I'm painting and learning a bit too🙂. So for me it's a win win

laf-art.com | Prints | [url="https://www.facebook.com/LAF.Art"]FB[/U
Instagram laf.abstracts
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Denmark

Hails from Denmark

When I feel lack of creativity or desire to create and there is nothing obvious that could have caused it, then improper nutrition is the cause. I have experienced this so many times that I'm certain that the right nutrition has big influence on creativity.

However, I have a keen interest in nutrition and have been experimenting with diets, individual foods, vitamins, minerals, and herbs for about 30 years. Therefore I have a habit of paying close attention to how the individual foods and supplements affect me mentally and physically. After doing this for so many years, I can detect small changes in my mental functioning and attribute it to whatever nutritional changes I have made recently.

In my experience, lack of creativity or creative apathy is caused by nutritional imbalances. That is, either an excess or a deficiency of certain nutrient(s) in the body. For example, it is well known that depression can be caused by lack of magnesium, iodine, vitamin B6 and others, OR an excess of copper, magnesium, and others. I think the same principle is true of creative apathy. In other words, lack of creativity can be caused by nutritional imbalances as well.

Correcting minor to moderate nutritional imbalances can often be done relatively easily, but it first requires a measurement of the body's nutritional status. This can be done through hair mineral analysis or cellular analysis. Such analysis will show imbalances (excess or deficiency) of the individual minerals in the body, and provide instructions about which minerals to take, at what dose, and for how long.

In my personal experience the following results in lack of creativity or desire to create:

Minor deficiency of one or more of the following nutrients: vitamin E, iron, vitamin B6, lecithin, choline. Excess intake of one or more of the following nutrients: calcium, zinc, potassium.

So for example, if for the last week or two my intake of iron has been low due to not getting enough iron through my diet, then I can start feeling lack of creativity. Which can be corrected by eating iron rich foods or taking an iron supplement for a short while.

Other things that help restore my creativity are: small amounts of dark chocolate (20-30g), 1-2 hard boiled eggs, dandelion root tincture, rosemary infusion, and sometimes canned sardines in sunflower oil.

Sci-Fi illustrator and concept artist | My Facebook

Last edited by eonworks : 01-21-2019 at 03:31 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

When it comes to fear of trying a project because it seems daunting - I've found a few things that help.

simplify the scene. Many elements you'll find can be eliminated without sacrificing. Others only need to be suggested. Others can be replaced. Then simplify again.

get instruction. On a particular part you have trouble with - drawing hands - rocks - color - whatever it is that particular part is almost certain to be covered by a youtube, article, book.

Find as many and varied examples as you can of the scene that inspired you.
You will see how others approached the problem.

start painting. Even though you don't have everything figured out, go ahead and start - you'll find a way. The painting process will reveal it to you. My best paintings are ones that had elements I only solved as I painted.

Remember when you first started painting EVERYTHING was daunting - yet you progressed.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2019, 03:11 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

JCMccool
I just looked at your work on Instagram.
FK man - they are SUPERB!
I'm a beginner, okay, working my ass off. I wish I had your technique. I love most of what you posted. But I realize you want to move on. We can't spend ALL our time, basking in our prior successes, now can we.

Is it that you can't think of anything to paint/illustrate? Or you know what you want to do, and just can't get the mojo? Smoke a bowl, put on some S. L. Weiss (Baroque Lute composer) or Bach (no introduction needed) or YOUR favorite tunes. You with me here? Oh coffee! You have to have some coffee in there. Get all that done, get it all together, put a pencil (or your weapon of choice) in your hand, and walk over to one of those five canvasses.
Then get back to me.
If it's still blank, you've still had a pleasant afternoon.
MarcF

Last edited by MarcF : 01-27-2019 at 03:20 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2019, 04:36 PM
New Mexico

Hails from United States

Here's another method I use to get going.
This is not to obtain inspiration.
This is after I've decided on a project, but it seems so overwhelming, I can't seem to find the energy/mojo/spark to move it forward.
This does not have to pertain to an art project. It pertains to ANY project. It would work with cleaning up your apartment or designing a spaceship. And it will seem obvious and we all know it, but it WORKS and here it is:
Think of ANY step no matter how minor - no matter if it's the correct step in the procedure (as long as doing it out of order doesn't create problems) - what I mean is, lots of times I do things in a set order, but breaking that routine often doesn't matter. The important thing is, pick ANYTHING that you would consider progress. And don't take much time deciding, because then you're still stuck. Pick a step, and complete it. Repeat. After awhile of that, you'll be thinking about your next project.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2019, 07:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcF
The important thing is, pick ANYTHING that you would consider progress. And don't take much time deciding, because then you're still stuck. Pick a step, and complete it. Repeat. After awhile of that, you'll be thinking about your next project.

Totally true. This is also why I think that working on more than one project is the best option because you have many more options. Sure it looks like a mess, and it is not the establishment view on how to work (linear, beginning to end).
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Immortalized

I also agree with Use Her Name - having several projects on the go at the same time almost always ensures that they keep the creativity spark going, and ideas feed off one another, at least they usually do for me.

laf-art.com | Prints | [url="https://www.facebook.com/LAF.Art"]FB[/U
Instagram laf.abstracts
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2019, 08:50 PM

I get myself moving by dividing a large sheet of paper into smaller bits and just doing whatever in each box....for me the "stuck" was knowing I had to fill a whole page but dividing it up got me going
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Manila

Hails from Philippines
Post Re: I am stuck.

Hey there,

I know how you feel. As an artist, I also get a lot of down time (sometimes lasting for months) when I am just out of it. I panic inside, but can't seem to do anything other than worry.

Here's what I learned: Every artist suffers from a seasonal creative block. Yet, the duration varies from person to person. Donít fret though, because creative blocks are not something to be fearful about. Rather, we must accept the universal fact that like our bodies, our minds also need to recharge and recover once in a while. Creative blocks are your mindís way of telling you that you need to get out there, rest your mind, and be inspired again.

This delay is often caused by a lot of factors, and though it might seem difficult to get over this phase, with the proper mindset and environment, you most definitely can! Beating creative blocks entail that we do what makes us feel relaxed, refreshed and rejuvenated mentally, whatever that may be.

Maybe this great article on how to find inspiration for art that I came across can help you as well.