Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art Hate Abstract Art Maybe Not

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Retiree

I have never liked abstract art. I also thought there was no thought that went into abstract painting. I did not see why anyone would want to pay money for an abstract painting.

Calm down all you abstract artists who are ready to yell at me, I have had a revelation.

I was watching the Big Painting Challenge on BBC. There is an abstract artist named Jennifer. I wasn’t too impressed with Jennifer in the first couple of challenges. No surprise there, I don’ t like abstract art. Yet in 2 later episodes where she captured the ballet dancers in movement and also her rendition of the elephant in the drawing animals episode, wow, I was impressed. I have yet not watched the final episode on YouTube yet so please don’t tell me who has won.

Greggo

A common misconception about `”Abstract” art is due to ignorance of the wide definition of the word. Abstract has a very wide bandwidth, just Google it, study Wikipedia. Experts disagree about it. Non-representational abstracts are but a part of our wide wide world.

There are some styles of abstract I dislike, some artists I respect, many I am not knowledgeable about. I try to keep an open mind and not generalize and make sweeping statements.

Try to keep your mind as open as your eyes to what appeals to your senses, beauty is everywhere. and ignore the labels.

Welcome to the A&C Forum!

greggo

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Retiree

A common misconception about `”Abstract” art is due to ignorance of the wide definition of the word. Abstract has a very wide bandwidth, just Google it, study Wikipedia. Experts disagree about it. Non-representational abstracts are but a part of our wide wide world.

There are some styles of abstract I dislike, some artists I respect, many I am not knowledgeable about. I try to keep an open mind and not generalize and make sweeping statements.

Try to keep your mind as open as your eyes to what appeals to your senses, beauty is everywhere. and ignore the labels.

Welcome to the A&C Forum!

greggo

So true! And thank you for the welcome. :)

john

All art is abstract. None of it is real.

I used to have that same belief and prejudice about it, Christina, and it is true as john stated. None is real. I appreciate it more and more as I get older and paint daily. Abstract takes a lot of skill, thought, and design, more so than any other category. Welcome!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Retiree

I used to have that same belief and prejudice about it, Christina, and it is true as john stated. None is real. I appreciate it more and more as I get older and paint daily. Abstract takes a lot of skill, thought, and design, more so than any other category. Welcome!

Thank you.:wave:

cmallav

I am an abstract convert too! I took it up thinking that anybody can do it. Boy, was I wrong! It’s the most challenging, creative and rewarding form of art!

Colorado_Ed

I am an abstract convert too! I took it up thinking that anybody can do it. Boy, was I wrong! It’s the most challenging, creative and rewarding form of art!

Same here. I think that’s a common thought from people that haven’t tried making a decent piece.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
                                Instagram: edward_sherman

laf.art

I’ve never understood how anyone could hate an entire genre – I mean I don’t like certain chocolate box types of art but I can appreciate the work that went into it if nothing else.I would also say the majority of representational art bores me, again I appreciate the work that goes into it and there of course are lots of exceptions :)

laf-art.com | Prints | FB[/U
                                    Instagram laf.abstracts

Will86

I my self don’t understand abstract but I enjoy painting and colors that I seen some and looks nice even though I still don’t understand what’s it mean.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.