Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching Need help for a boy around 9 years old who wants to be an artist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    budigart

My neighbor boy, who is about 9, wants me to teach him art. He’s serious and devoted. But, he’s just a little too young/naive to accept or understand the kinds of serious stuff I try to show him, and honestly, I don’t know how to “dumb it down” to better fit his age.

I’m wondering if anyone has an idea of an age appropriate web site, or book that I could suggest to him? I appreciate any help or ideas.

DecompressArt

My neighbor boy, who is about 9, wants me to teach him art. He’s serious and devoted. But, he’s just a little too young/naive to accept or understand the kinds of serious stuff I try to show him, and honestly, I don’t know how to “dumb it down” to better fit his age.

I’m wondering if anyone has an idea of an age appropriate web site, or book that I could suggest to him? I appreciate any help or ideas.

I actually think 9 is old enough to understand most of the core concepts in representational art, like light/shadow, shapes, values, edges, colors. What did you try to explain to him that he didn’t quite understand? Maybe more demonstration and less theory would help?

I’m very interested in this topic because my son will be born in May and I’m already imagining what I could teach him at what age :lol:

I make concise videos explaining the key concepts in representational art. ;)
            I'm self-taught so I make these videos as a way to teach and motivate myself.
            https://www.youtube.com/c/DecompressArt

~JMW~

What about library books on drawing in his age range..
                or print out some basics info and work sheets from online sites..
                the cubes , fruits & shading and such…
                or if he want to do specific subject look for those with beginner info.

~Joy~

budigart

It’s not so much that he’s not understanding. He is having trouble getting his new knowledge from his brain down his arm to the shape he’s trying to draw. He’s grasping concepts, but having a difficult time getting them down on paper under his own steam.

Right now, I’m spending time showing how simple shapes (circle, square and triangle) can be stuck together to make the basic shape of, say, a puppy/kitty etc.

I could show him a lot more, but for now, I feel he needs to have some success making simple drawings. Nothing succeeds like success.

I’ve taken time to explain very simple ways of measuring so that what he sketches has a basic look to it. He’s having trouble with this.

On the other hand, I keep encouraging him, telling him that the most important aspects of art (drawing) is practice, practice, practice.

I remember many years ago seeing books that were just right for young beginners. Anyone know where I can get one or two of these? I think something like that would be helpful for a young beginner. It’s too easy for me to slip into a lecture on something that is over his head.

Ellis Ammons

My nephew is 7 *i think.. Hes interested in painting and drawing as well. I just give him some materials to play with and we draw and paint together. I dont try to force him or burden his mind with “seriousness” hes a kid.. The most important thing is to have fun and let him learn to use his imagination to create something.
                        I just show him how i work and sometimes hell ask me questions like how to mix a color.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
                        oil and acrylic paintings..

I was seven years old when I realized I was able to draw horses and trains. At the age of nine I got interested in drawing people. Of course, I drew anything and did not have any idea of the basic principles of drawing. Later on I wanted to work on oil and watercolor. No body guided me since I had a “teacher” who had no clues about art. I wish someone would have guided me in the right direction. At the beginning of secondary education an art teacher became interested and showed me how to paint using oil. I guess that was too much for me. In fact he painted me at the age of 10. My portrait is shown below. However, since he was not my real art teacher I lost interest and I abandoned art later on. Well, I guess is never too late to learn art.
                        At this young age drawing still life and to learn composition and values would be a major step for a talented child and to be persistent and be guided by an adult in order to avoid giving up a good and promising career. I still believe that children understand very well at this age, but they still need to be guided by the right person.
                        I will never forget after I had my first communion at the age of eight our teacher told us: “Now you should know what is right and what is wrong”. I understood very well what she meant to say. However, the proper guidance of a dedicated adult is always needed.

budigart

Thanks for your comments. I understand what your saying. If he were a relative it might be a little easier. But he’s a neighbor, so we don’t have that “familial” connection . . . that familiarity, so to speak.

I think that part of the problem is that this kid wants to come over once or twice a week so I can teach him to draw. I’m truly running out of things to “teach” him. I keep trying to find things to teach him in an age appropriate way, but after a few sessions, I’m repeating myself.

I’m hoping he’ll soon kick into the “Moises” mode where he begins piecing things together, picks one or two things that really interest him now, and become good at drawing them, and then, as he improves, branch out to other things.

I haven’t overlooked the likelihood that I am part of the problem. He loves dinosaurs, so I may put some encouragement on that pursuit, and encourage his branching out from there.

When I was his age, WWII was on, and I spent every spare minute drawing fighter airplanes. I understand the “need” to create art. I’m hoping this kid has the same bug so that even though I fall short at a teacher, he’ll keep on moving forward.

maryinasia

I think 9 years is a time for exploring media and drawing, painting, modeling, creating what interests him…perhaps drawing his action figures…

One book that is available as a free download is Stan Lee’s How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way…It introduces a lot of drawing concepts in a clear and fun way.

Most 9 year olds also like to do stop motion animation…which can be done with clay or play doh or whiteboard or toy or a combination. There are free apps to download.

budigart

Mary . . . is there a web site from which the book can be downloaded that your can post. Thanks.

Wassie

Amazon has drawing books for his age. I bought my 6 yr old granddaughter some books on how to draw animals.

maryinasia

just google: how to draw comics the marvel way pdf

one site is

https://classes.soe.ucsc.edu/cmps025/Spring11/Draw-Comics-The-Marvel-Way.pdf

talisman

Those how to draw books are great!
                                                The one I got was “How to Draw Horses” I loved it, simple shapes, oval, triangles and rectangles that become the form of the horse.
                                                I did move away from art after grade school and didn’t come back until my 40’s but those basic lessons came back fast.
                                                I think the boy is wanting a companion as much as an instructor.
                                                The best teacher is experience, so a quick lesson, not too much theory and set him to draw while you work on one of your projects. He’ll learn as much from watching you work as anything you could teach him orally.
                                                A picture is worth a thousand words and watching someone make a picture a is worth a million or more!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                                C and C always welcome.
                                                My DeviantArt Gallery

KolinskyRed

One very enthusiastic on-line tutor for kids (and the young at heart) is Mark Kistler. He’s been tutoring drawing for over 30 years, beginning with a show on PBS called Secret City for kids. A lot of professional animators today began their drawing bug as kids in the 1980s following along with the PBS show. If you were to check it out yourself, it may help conceive of how you may help the young fellow internalize the concepts you’re teaching, I think.

He has continued on, and has kindly posted over a hundred of his drawing videos ~ 10 to 25 minutes ~ online for free on youtube. Search in youtube for Mark Kistler and check out his playlists within his channel.

If you were to check out how he bridges the Renaissance drawing techniques and basic geometry shapes into kid (and kids at heart) drawings, it may help perhaps? Not that the cartooning necessarily be the end goal, it’s more a way of succeeding with the application and internalizing the concepts you would be teaching for success in a quick, fun, animated way – a quick turn-around, and then on to other drawings he might like under your tutelage. Hope this helps! Cheers

jmfletch

Two suggestions
                                                        1 If dinosaurs are his thing you might try https://www.dragoart.com/dinosaurs-c323-1.htm Which is free dinosaurs drawing tutorials geared to kids.

2 If he wants to learn more the lessons here are great, just adjust explanation to his educational level and let him see what others have posted.

Kinda sounds like he is interested but no one at home is. Good luck, you may have a future artist at your side. At 9 I could not sit long enough to draw for more than a few minutes,:lol:

Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

budigart

Thanks again, everyone. The Mark Kistler videos sound great. So does the dinosaur drawing site. I’ve sent the URLs on to the boy’s mother to review. One of the things that I like about it is that he can click into it whenever he feels like another lesson.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.