Home Forums The WetCanvas! Galleria Open Critique Forum Blackberries by Celeste McCall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Dear All,
    This is still wet and so it can be changed still. Any suggestions? Click on the url to see it bigger. :)

http://groups.msn.com/PPAACazenovia/ppaacazenovia2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=14

[FONT="System"]www.celestemccall.net

sorry, posted incorrectly. Please delete

Yokovich

wow celeste does this have an “old world” look or what! what a lovely bunch of blackberries and blossoms. It appears you have done this more than a time or two–your work looks confident–nice colors–how does this work on glass like this? do you have to use glass friendly paints? only for display? It looks amazing! wonderful choice of plate to paint onto. This plate looks like it’s from Germany and over 100 years old!

mfoxmelanson

Beautiful! That one flower really pops out! Great depth,detail..delicate-lovely!

M.

Dear Celestia,
            Thanks for all the kind compliments. :) My painting is an original and is painted entirely from my imagination. This is painted on porcelain. It is china painted. These are dry pigments that are mixed with oils and then painted on the tray; then they have to be fired in a kiln for them to become permanent. This art is over 1000 years old. Thanks again. And I try to make these look antique. :) So I was happy that you said that especially.

Dear mfoxmelanson,
            Thanks for the compliment. Also, would it be better to wash back the edge of the flower a bit?

Here it is before I put all of this wet paint on it. Maybe it was better before? I really appreciate the opinions.

Here is a picture of it before I added the other ‘stuff’. :)

http://groups.msn.com/PPAACazenovia/ppaacazenovia2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=15

mfoxmelanson

It’s interesting to see the other version. It was very very nice-but your final version is a knockout! The colors seem so much richer, too!

M.

Yokovich

I vote for the first version (the one without the wet paint) since it allows that lovely greenish background. Might be my monitor but the simpler version has a preferable clarity :)

Monalisagal

:clap: undefined

Dear All,
                        This is still wet and so it can be changed still. Any suggestions? Click on the url to see it bigger. :)

[url]http://groups.msn.com/PPAACazenovia/ppaacazenovia2004.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=14[/url]

Celeste:
                        I too paint on porcelain. I’m new to this site but see your input on PPIO. I’m a new painter so really enjoying all the good advice & looking at the beautiful work the different artists do. Your work on the blackberries is like one of he ladies said you could just melt into the painting & feel the heart you painted it with. Wish you lived closer so we could get you to come for seminar. Keep up the good work. Monalisagal from Ok.

Monalisagal

Dear All, thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate it. You are all sweeties!

Also, Monalisagal, Thanks also! And I wish that I lived closer too. I would love to move around Dallas one day as I love that area of Texas. I love the Oklahoma ladies. THEY can paint!;)

Thanks again everyone.

We took the picture off of the Caz site so here it is on this one. This is the tray before I added the other dark values and extra berries as in the one above.

giniaad

gorgeous painting!!…
                            definately and old time feel to this
                            very authentic looking…excellent!

can you tell me more about this china paint?
                            what oil is it mixed with?
                            what temp of firing does it take in a kiln?

I bought some powder china paint
                            (at a second hand store)
                            and do not know how to utilize them…
                            don’t take too much time answering this…
                            maybe a website with info?…
                            not even sure if I will keep these powders…

what are your plans for this beautiful tray?
                            loved your other piece as well…
                            delicate and beautiful…great colors

Dear giniaad,
                            Thank you so much for you sweet compliments. :)

Also, there is lots of information on this if you will go to
                            http://www.ppio.com
                            and read their information.

We mix the paint looser than toothpaste with an oil (mineral oil for some) and then thin it down a little with oil on our brushes and then paint with it. Next, we fire it to at least .017 in a kiln. One piece might take from 1 to 3 or more firings. Some can fire one time and it’s finished. But I prefer the American style and paint with layers of paint and fire in between. My pieces usually have 4 or more fires.

There are lots of websites and information at the PPIO.com

About the piece? I am planning on giving it or another one like it away at the end of the 3 day class in Cazenovia, New York at the school there in June. The link above will take you to view some of the other teachers’ pieces that will be taught by others at the school.

I hope that this information helps. And again, I really appreciate your kind reply to the thread. :)

Gorgeous, Celetse! A lot of work and it shows.

Thank you so much marilyn h!
                            I appreciate your message very much. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.