Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Trying out gouache, first painting and color swatches

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    monarch

I bought a set of Arteza gouache when it came up as a Lightning sale on Amazon for $29.99 for 60 tubes (0.4 ml each, or 12ml). At the price of 50 cents a tube, it seemed like it was worth a try. The paints are made in China and they claim to be lightfast, except for 4 of the colors in the set (peaches and pinks) which are rated at two stars instead of three.

I can’t really compare it to other brands of gouache since I’ve never used gouache before, but I enjoyed experimenting. I made a lot of mistakes but learned quite a bit about handling gouache in this bird painting. It’s pretty easy to make mud, lol! :lol: And clearly there is quite a learning curve.

I swatched out all of the colors so I’ve included my chart here, in case anyone is wondering about this brand. I put the twelve metallics at the bottom of the chart; their names all start with “Pearl” except for gold, silver and bronze.

I’d love to hear opinions of anyone who has used this brand, and I always welcome C&C on my painting.

C&C welcome and appreciated

Perry

I’ve only made about a dozen paintings in gouache,
            so my knowledge is limited. I’ve always been told
            to buy the best materials you can afford, no matter
            what the medium. But if you can get the colors in
            your paintings the way you want them to be by
            using these paints…go for it.
            Hopefully others in this forum who know a good
            deal about gouache will chime in.

Nice bird.

Yes, I got a set, they are fine.

Nice background to your bird.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

monarch

Perry, thanks for your reply. I figure this set is a good way to try out gouache to see if I like it, and if not, it’s something the grandkids would love to create with. They welcome any opportunity to be creative and make a mess! :lol:

Doug, how does this gouache compare to other brands you’ve tried? One thing that surprised me is that some of the colors are actually quite transparent. Maybe it’s that way in all brands. (?)

Arteza gouache is a touch more fluid tha W&N but until recently I was using Caran d’Ache pan gouache.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

monarch

Thanks, Doug.

There was an earlier review of the Arteza gouache by a knowledgeable member which I can’t find right now.

I think he said something like he was surprised at how good they were for the price.

The picture is a bit small but looks like a really nice painting.

AbA

Looks good to me. I will look forward to more paintings. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

monarch

Thank you, Gary! :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.