Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone I Wish Someone Had Told Me That…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Marshall

A couple of days ago I was trying out a Youtube painting tutorial and I got very discouraged with my paint brushes. I had bought several sizes of synthetic squirrel brushes and it was my first time using one of them (actually use two). I had problems with bristles pulling out and sticking in the paint on my paper. I also noticed that one of the brushes had a very sticky feeling. Very discouraging and I was beginning to think that I had wasted my money on some bad brushes.

But I’m not a complete idiot and the starchy/sticky brush got me thinking so I rinsed it under running water and I liked the feel of it better. I then did some Youtube searches on how to break in a new brush and I found some that set me straight. I just finished cleaning the gum arabic out of all of my brushes and I am happy once more.

I’ve seen lots of stuff about not jamming your brushes into the bottom of the water cup or leaving them standing on their bristles. But I had never seen anything about having or how to break in a new brush. In hindsight it makes sense but I just never thought of it.

Now I am wonder what else I am missing. So what do you wish someone had told you when you first started out that would have made your progress better and increased your enthusiasm for painting.

Marshall
        Living the retired life in NE Florida

indraneel

It is strange for a synthetic to have gum or lose bristles… :confused:

to answer ur question: I wish they had told me to make my own ultramarine and iron oxide colors from pigment powder !!! It saves money and u can paint like a millionaire !

Marshall

to answer ur question: I wish they had told me to make my own ultramarine and iron oxide colors from pigment powder !!! It saves money and u can paint like a millionaire !

All I know is that the brushes were stiff and when I tried painting with them they felt sticky after getting them wet. Once I held them under running water until they softened up they were fine.

Marshall

janinco

…don’t leave masking fluid on for more than a few days and remove with a crepe eraser.

Jan

mcolman

Really focus on learning about paint to water ratio in terms of moisture on the brush and moisture on the paper and how they affect each other. THIS IS CRUCIAL!!!

Marian Colman
                        mariancolmanart.com

Kaylen

The most important thing I know now and not way back when is about fugitive pigments, but they didnt know it then , so they are forgiven…the next most important(probably) is color theory , I was mainly a value painter and still mostly am, but understanding color relationships is becoming helpful

Kaylen Savoie
                            https://www.savoieartist.com/
                            At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Kaylen

By the way good topic Marshall

Kaylen Savoie
                                https://www.savoieartist.com/
                                At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

briantmeyer

There is a watercolor handbook, has links to a lot of past discussions listed by topic. ( we do discuss gum arabic in new brushes repeatedly here, but don’t see that specifically in the handbook )
                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310721

This 7 week class regarding the basic techniques, 7 different lessons, 7 homework threads too.
                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20718856&postcount=4

Marshall

There is a watercolor handbook, has links to a lot of past discussions listed by topic. ( we do discuss gum arabic in new brushes repeatedly here, but don’t see that specifically in the handbook )
                                        [url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310721[/url]

This 7 week class regarding the basic techniques, 7 different lessons, 7 homework threads too.
                                        [url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20718856&postcount=4[/url]

Thanks Brian. I had looked at a lot f the stuff in the handbook but I didn’t see anything on brush breakin.

The 7 week class is new to me so I’ll have to check that out.

Marshall

calvin_0

since they are synthetic squirrels, perhaps it’s a mop brush (the most common brush to use squirrel hair), i been told that it’s normal for mop brush to lose bristles, especially when new.

Regarding the original post’s mentioned problem — many synthetic brushes come from the factory with a bit of seizing in the bristles, just to keep them stiff enough that they won’t get all mucked up during shipping or while resting in inventory at the shop. Just rinse it out with some gentle soap and water, should be no problem, like you said.

Regarding what I wish they had told me:

1. You can’t re-wet.

For me, just don’t try to re-wet dried up blobs of paint. If you squeeze out some tube-paint, paint with some of it, don’t use it up, then let it sit overnight until your next painting session, it might dry out. If this has happened, then, do NOT just try to just swab at it a bit in hopes that it will be useful. The dried up blob of paint will NOT act the same as freshly squeezed tube paint even if you THINK you’ve re-wet it adequately. Rather, to get that dried up blob back to adequate consistency, you must really go the whole nine yards with mixing and stirring and adding water (or glycerine) at the right times, before it will be as easy and pleasurable to paint with, as would a new worm just squeezed out of the tube. This has been a consistent problem for me, and I’ll bet it is for many other beginner painters, too, that I can’t get yesterday’s paint blob to be half as vibrant or half as much dark value on today’s paper. So, unless you are a master of re-wetting, squeeze anew every day! And don’t even buy factory-made pan paint! Or, my new solution to this problem, get an airtight palette container such as the Mijello brand’s “Fusion,” which folds closed with a gasket seal kind of like Tupperware. It has been a game-changer for me.

2. Don’t buy the rainbow.

Owning every pigment known to man is fun. But it’s not helpful to learning to improve your painting. In fact, it could be a distraction. I’m glad I have experimented with tons of tubes of oddball unfamiliar pigments, but they seem extra now, taking up space. In exchange for several of my umpteen nearly-identical yellows, for example, I now think maybe I would instead want six more tubes of the same few old-standard colors (pigments, really) which I could use and re-use and use up and replace, in order to really get familiar with those few mainstay paints and pigments. Having one tube each of seven different reds just means not knowing how the red which I AM using will act; I’d rather have seven tubes of one single red, which I really master. Or maybe two reds. Or well, I guess three. Three is enough. Four? Maybe five … ?

3. Paper paper paper.

Get really nice paper. Really, if you have a shopping itch, start stockpiling different types of very nice high-quality watercolor paper. Comparing papers, learning which will do what, is much more productive, after a certain initial period, than fiddling with comparisons among varieties of anything else in your atelier, IMO.

-----
                                            Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

calvin_0

1. You can’t re-wet.

For me, just don’t try to re-wet dried up blobs of paint. If you squeeze out some tube-paint, paint with some of it, don’t use it up, then let it sit overnight until your next painting session, it might dry out. If this has happened, then, do NOT just try to just swab at it a bit in hopes that it will be useful. The dried up blob of paint will NOT act the same as freshly squeezed tube paint even if you THINK you’ve re-wet it adequately. Rather, to get that dried up blob back to adequate consistency, you must really go the whole nine yards with mixing and stirring and adding water (or glycerine) at the right times, before it will be as easy and pleasurable to paint with, as would a new worm just squeezed out of the tube. This has been a consistent problem for me, and I’ll bet it is for many other beginner painters, too, that I can’t get yesterday’s paint blob to be half as vibrant or half as much dark value on today’s paper. So, unless you are a master of re-wetting, squeeze anew every day! And don’t even buy factory-made pan paint! Or, my new solution to this problem, get an airtight palette container such as the Mijello brand’s “Fusion,” which folds closed with a gasket seal kind of like Tupperware. It has been a game-changer for me.

well to be fair, this isnt a problem that most watercolor artist has… so it’s not something would be told to someone who is new to watercolor, it’s more like something that the artist have to discover themselves since it’s more related to an artist preference then a problem with watercolor..

in fact most people are going to tell new watercolor artist the opposite as it’s ability to re-wetting is one of the best reason to use watercolor.

however, if you use gouache.. then you’ll going to be told not to re-wet even if it can be re-wet, it’s not ideal to do so.

sometimes, it’s just part of the journey to discover what works for you, for example, everyone told me sable brush is the best… I brought it, use it but later I discover squirrel mop brush which i fall in love right away and i never touch my sable brush again.

Harold Roth

2. Don’t buy the rainbow.

This has been big for me. I have lots of colors and will buy more, I am sure, because one can never have too many paints, but I end up using usually 2-3 paints plus a couple whites for a painting and that is plenty for me.

OTOH, color charts really help a lot if you have too many paints. Keeping track of all my colors with handmade charts allows me to choose exactly which red I want (and use that as one of my 2-3 colors).

Something I wish someone had told me is that you don’t have to stretch your paper. I’ve gotten in the habit of using 140# and just taping it to gatorbord. It might cockle if I use a lot of water, but then I dry it with a hair dryer. I used to practically soak the sizing out of it because that’s what I was taught. That didn’t help me, although I know some people swear by it.

…Now I am wonder what else I am missing. So what do you wish someone had told you when you first started out that would have made your progress better and increased your enthusiasm for painting.

I is/has been my experience that the vast majority of painters only want to learn how to render the scene before them. Paint a tree that looks like a tree with brown bark and green leaves. IIRC, it took about 6 weekly classes with a local watercolour teacher, for me to realize that there was more to painting that just making a good copy of a photograph of another artist’s painting. Les’ class was about technique and drawing skills. Nothing wrong with that to start with, but one needs to go beyond rendering skills.

Next up is composition and design. You can find hundreds of web pages of the 7 or so elements and the 8 or so principles of art/painting/design/composition. I know, as at one time I had over 200 bookmarks of these subjects. What you cannot find is many (any?) articles on how and when to apply the principles.

“Mastering Composition – techniques and principles to dramatically improve your painting” by Ian Roberts does provide an incomplete framework and outline process whereby you can use these elements and apply the principles. Good news: you don’t need to purchase his book to get this information. I reviewed his book on WC here and you get get the essence of his framework there.

It is incomplete in not providing framework/process for mode/lighting/colour and most importantly emotion, which is where you need to explore after/while you are digesting design and composition. What is the essence of the scene before me? What can I leave out? What must I include? How do I feel about this scene? …and dozens of other questions one needs to ask oneself before the brush hits the paper.

If someone had told me about composition and Ian’s 5 picture planes, I could have save 2 1/2 years of hard, somewhat fruitless work to find that, IMOSHO, gold mine of information. The emotional ‘picture plane’ was easy for me to posit once I started to have an understanding of design and composition.

…and there is one final notion that I still have trouble with: The student must be prepared to receive the masters lesson. I have forgotten the number of times I have discarded a book (the master’s lesson) as useless only to find some years later (the student) that there some hidden gems when I had a chance to re-read one of these books.

as they say in automobile advertising: YMMV
                                                    Enjoy your journey.

It is only on a basis of knowledge that we can become free to compose naturally. -- Bernard Dunstan
                                                    blog.jlk.net

Marshall

Thanks Claude. I would love to read the book but I am going to have to wait awhile. I’ve spent so much money on my art lately that if I spend anymore my wife will divorce me. After 36 years of marriage and finally reaching retirement age I can’t afford to start over. LOL

Marshall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.