Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Sealing a tempera work

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gretacm

Can anyone advise me on the proper method of sealing a tempera painting. If there is a method I would appreciate the steps.
        Thanks
        Gretacm

Celadonite

I’ve sealed them with spray acrylic. Works well when the painting’s dry, though if ET isn’t perfectly dry, will develop “fog” beneath the acrylic, basically destroying the painting.

I’ve heard people have used damar to varnish ET with, but haven’t tried it and can’t be of help regarding that.

Iconographer’s have long used a mix of linseed oil and stand oil to seal their ET icons. The process is rather lengthy, involved and the paint can come loose, ruining the picture. Suggest you do a websearch for “olifa” or alternatively “olipha” to learn more about this.

Good luck!

I'm no longer able to paint icons, but am more than happy to answer such questions as I can, if you contact me.
            Bandbox

Golden’s MSA varnish and Liquitex’s Soluvar varnish will do the job if you want to use a varnish. However, you should let your tempera painting dry for 6 months to a year before varnishing. The Golden and Liquitex websites have complete specifications and directions for their products.

I would recommend testing out a spirit based varnish before commiting to it on a final work. No varnish is guaranteed to last forever, and in some cases they can alter the work and change the look rather dramatically. Once it’s applied to the surface it cannot be removed without removing the paint along with it. Some egg temera users coat the surface with a wax finish, which is a softer surface than a varnish but can offer some benefits.

David Blaine Clemons
                ----------------
                My Website
                My Blog

Bandbox

Yes, it’s a good idea to try any varnish on a test piece before using it as a final finish on an important painting. And if you varnish acrylic paintings, you should put down gloss acrylic medium as an isolation coat before the final varnish. Some artists use the acrylic isolation coat over casein paintings, too. Maine artist Alan Bray finishes his casein paintings with Soluvar, a removable varnish.

Celadonite

Has anyone tried Aqua Net hairspray? I’ve heard it can be used on watercolors, and wondering if it might be useable on egg tempera?

I'm no longer able to paint icons, but am more than happy to answer such questions as I can, if you contact me.
                      Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.