Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Arteza Gouache Paint Preview

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I came across an ad for this brand of gouache paint I’ve never tried before from Arteza. They’re running a special price right now that was too good to pass up, so I thought I’d place an order for the set, and since it may be a limited offer, I wanted to share the information here. The order included a small discount that came to $1 a tube with free shipping. If anyone here has already tried these, let me know.

Here’s a link to their website :
    https://arteza.com/collections/paint/products/gouache-premium-artist-paints-set-24-colors

I can follow up with a better review when the paint arrives in a few days, but there were a few things I could tell off the bat. Most of the colors are mixed, some are a bit peculiar. It was odd that there’s a Titanium White and another labeled just White, but both have PW6 on the label. The paints are only sold in a set, not individually. I got an email back that they are hoping to sell singles “in the near future.” There wasn’t a color chart on the site, but I zoomed in on the picture on their site, and added them to the image above. They said they’d try to send me an official list. The tube size is only 12ml, but at @$1 each you could buy 2 or 3 sets and still have made a good deal PROVIDING the quality is high. I should know that in a few days. If you’re looking to stock up, are new to gouache or a student, you might want to check these out. Not sure how long this deal will last.

BTW, they also sell other things, like acrylics that are listed at a good price. There’s a special packaging on their large size acrylics that come in bags, which looks interesting.

David Blaine Clemons
    ----------------
    My Website
    My Blog

Devorahdraws

I’ve seen some youtube reviews and the quality seems fine – I mean they’re not holbeins but they’re good and cheap and I like that well enough.

My Arteza paints arrived. I’d like to take a second to point out that the USPS tracking info was useless. It still says the package is “on its way to a USPS facility” even though I found it on my doorstep early this morning. It only took a week to get here by ground service, however.

I made the chart in the first post at the start of this thread off an image from their website, and added the PID# info as clearly as I could read it off their picture. They said they would send me an official list, but never did; however, now I can get it off the actual tubes. Unfortunately, some of the PIDs are different, so here’s a corrected chart:

I painted a chart of swatches on grey colored paper. It was only after doing so that I noticed the arrangement of tubes doesn’t match the PID chart. Sorry about that, but I added the PID#s to the swatch chart also.

At the top of each column I painted a swatch directly from the tube. Beneath that is a swatch diluted about 50% with water, and finally a swatch of paint blended into white. The white blend helps see the color more clearly, as well as any color shift that might happen, possibly drifting more warm or cool, but I didn’t notice any surprises there.

Lastly, this is a chart of brush strokes over a strip of black ink, painted right out of the tube to show transparency.

Although I’ve only painted this color chart so far, my first impressions are positive. The paint feels very smooth without any streaking from poorly mixed pigment. The pigment load seems decent. The most noticeable transparent color is the Lemon Yellow, but that’s expected of PY3. I don’t think I would have any hesitation using some of these paints in my art work.

I do have some complaints. You may have noticed I repainted the Ultramarine column, since I had accidentally grabbed the Prussian blue by mistake. The color printed on the labels for those two are nearly identical, but don’t accurately match the paint inside. Some other paints have that problem, too. Also, since these days I tend to paint gouache at a fairly large size, these tubes are too small at 12ml. However, they only cost me about $1 each, so I could get 2 or 3 packs, and have as much as I’d get from another brand for less money. Unfortunately, they are only sold in sets, not individually. I’d be buying more colors I don’t need or even use. I doubt I’ll ever use that neon Peach, but the black and some other colors are good choices to have.

David Blaine Clemons
        ----------------
        My Website
        My Blog

JaviJavivi

I’d like to try that gouache set, if only they sent them to Chile…

Gardenwife

Hello! This is my first post here after years of reading. I bought their 60-tube set in July to have extra convenience colors good for practice. I only have Royal Talens pan gouache for comparison, so my experience with the medium is limited. I find them creamy and we’ll-pigmented. I can tell you Arteza has fantastic customer service! I mentioned on a couple of social accounts my dissatisfaction with a couple of their products I bought and they reached out and refunded me the money, plus let me keep them. One was their hardbound coldpress 140# watercolor sketchbook. I bought a two-pack and will certainly use them for alternate techniques. It’s okay for drier methods, but wet washes buckle it a lot and blends don’t don’t go smoothly with it. It doesn’t hold up to scrubbing, but that’s not a surprise with wood pulp paper. I also have a pack of their 100% cotton paper, but I haven’t used it yet. I really like their large mixed media spiral pads. I love their EverBlend alcohol markers and watercolor Real Brush Pens. I’m happy with the gouache and can’t wait for them to carry it in large pouches like they do their acrylics. I’ve posted some paintings on my Instagram: http://instagram.com/gardenwife

otherworlder

I have been wanting a big gouache set so I can have all the convenience colors in the world. I was eyeing the Arteza set too but really bummed about their color selection. I can’t believe they load it with like 20 pearl/metallic color. That’s… not the point of a big set. In Asia most cheap gouache sets are made for art students, and they load it with grey/neutral of every imaginable hue and subtle shades of greens and brown, so that in studies/exam you have a lot of convenience colors to use as your base colors and don’t have to risk of making a mix for large areas more than once and ending up with inconsistent colors. Too bad so few options are available in US.

I absolutely love Arteza Gouache! I do monotypes on gel plates with this paint and the results are amazing. I just purchased another full set because I love the colors so much. There is a pale yellow that I use as a base color for almost all of my prints.

Debbie
                    C&C welcomed and appreciated...

One of my small monotypes, Arteza Gouache on canvas
                    This is very small, 3×5 inches.

Debbie
                    C&C welcomed and appreciated...

weidox

Just be careful with lightfastness ratings. Pink with PO13 must be fugitive, as it’s very light and PO13 is poor lightfastness. Other than that, there’s few more not so shining pigments, but no serious issues.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.