Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching old master drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 219 total)
  • Author
    Wojdo

Anyone interested in doing copies of old master drawings, I did a search and couold not find any threads on old master drawings only master of the month for painting. I have not done any drawing in a long time, just been painting still life and landscapes with a direct method.
        But I am now interested in old master style figure and portrait drawing. Old masters would copy other masters drawings to learn from there work.
        I thought this would be a good idea to grow as an artist. It seem to work for the artists if the past. What do you think?

Painting is a never ending process of learning and observing. Joe Wojdakowski
        Get inspired.......Stay inspired........Inspire

Jolanta

Hi, this is how I learned how to draw. I want to learn from the best and since they are still around as the best I think this is the right way to go.
            I have bunch of art books with old masters drawing. You can go do the library and look around or to the book store and get books about Leonardo Da Vinci, Michaelangelo and such. You can do search on Google about old masters drawings and pick the artist you like and start from there.
            It is OK to do copies of others works for learning purpose. You can learn a lot.
            Most of the time they were using tinted paper and charcoal for darks and white for highlights which is the great way to draw. The color of the paper will give you middle value right away. All you have to do is put down darks and lights. Lighting is very important. Study it in others drawings – where it is coming from and how it is affecting the subject. Start collecting some good books or get them from the library and read and draw and study and analize. You can learn really fast this way. Classical approach is the best way to learn in my opinion. Once you learn how to draw realistically you can do anything you want – change your style, go abstract. I would recommend to start easy just black and white first and then experiment with colors. You don’t want to be overwhelmed with everything at the same time. Get yourself some charcoal in sticks and pencils, white pastel pencil or stick, some pastel paper in different colors and you ready……….
            Jolanta

Reinhard1

Following masters, as Jolanta wrote, is surely THE way to go. I found one problem though in graphite. Looking through art books, museums’ catalogues, etc. I found little that were not in colour and needed translation into graphite. Since I am still struggling rather strongly with this, I have finally found my answer. I bought the Bargue’s Drawing Course. A bok full of excellent graphite drawings which I am intending to follow. I am not saying “copying” although this is what this drawing course is all about – I think I lack the dedication to that point, but I might surprise myself. What fascinates me is seeing how in minute details drawings are executed.

In addition to Bargue, I’d like to follow with determination what masters here present but unfortunately the resolution is too low to really see what was done and so much information for my learning is lost. IMHO that is.

A real hires shot of one of Armin’s work would be a real blessing, but alas …….

In simple terms, follow old and new masters (if you can find really good and detailed drawings that is).

Cheers , Reinhard
                How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.

Wojdo

Thanks for some of the tips.
                    I have never seen any old master colored drawings most that I have seen are in charcoal or a reddish type color with white highlights. Copying old master drawings was the norm for 19th century art acadamies, it went something like copy old master drawings for two years then move on to cast drawings then to life figure drawing and only after you mastered that you could move on to painting. The immpressionists broke those rules and eventually tradition was lost, as you can notice if you look at 20th century art.

Wojdo

Is any one interested in doing a thread on old masters of the month drawings?

Judi1957

Funny I have been considering a WC Masters project for months on this-let me get it going.:thumbsup: It will take a few days.
                            Glad there is interest.:clap: :clap:

[FONT="Impact"][FONT="Arial Black"]Judi

gibson99

I would be interested in this . I have several drawing books with old masters drawings. I also own the Barque’s drawing course with great plates in there. Also withe the Barque drawing course there is a declaimer in the front allowing one to copy the plates.

Art is the result of a creative impulse derived out of a consciousness of life - John Sloan on drawing and painting.
                                www.soulyart.com

Judi1957

I need to edit-this will be in January. It would be much right now with the holidays right now.

[FONT="Impact"][FONT="Arial Black"]Judi

mauricar

Judi, that is exciting. How could go about getting that book? What is the exact title, etc. ?

Midge

"Do all your work as though you have 1000 years to live" Shaker saying.

Sustayne

The title of the thread hooked me right away. I would be up for this. One of my recent Ebay acquisitions is a folio from the Metropolitan Museaum of Art of 18th century Italian Masters. It blew me away. I had never seen anything like these pieces. Iwold gladly scan some of them for reference, in addition to some of the other traditional works of the Masters. This would be great fun for me.

jm

[FONT=Times New Roman]"From whom so much has been given,
                                            much is expected."

Now that you have discovered the secret message, please write to me as soon as possible at glasshalfempty at yahoo dot com. Thanks and congratulations!!!
                                            [/SIZE]

Reinhard1

Midge, if you are referring to the Bargue book, here is the information:

Charles Bargue, with the collaboration of Jean-Leon Gerome
                                                Drawing Course

The one I have is published by the Dahesh Museum in New York (where I bought my copy).

If you are interested, I suggest to visit their website and order it from their shop. The price is 75.- US$, far below what I find as a price at Amazon.

One little additional thought. When I was there, I got the book 30% off since they had a bad badge from the printers with a problem with the binding. I figured that with all the copying I am going to do, the spine will give anyhow so I might as well take those 30%. You might want to try to give them a call and see if this offer is still on and if they ship that as well.

I dearly love the book, the drawings in there are exactly what I was looking for and have only heard and read good stuff about it (with the exception of the binding).

Cheers , Reinhard
                                                How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.

Teea

Excellent :D

One of the best places to seek old masters works is Web Gallery of Art. Lets say you’re looking for Leonardo da Vinci’s studies- the works are clickable and it opens a new window, where you can zoom into the work up to 200% and even change the background color to be able to see some works even better.

Here’s a link to the artists list:
                                                    http://www.wga.hu/index1.html

:thumbsup:
                                                    ~Teea

Reinhard1

Teea, MOST excellent site. Thanks for sharing the link.

Cheers , Reinhard

Jolanta

Thank you Teea – I know what I am going to do tonight:D
                                                            Jolanta

Meisie

I’d be interested in the project too, come January :)

Charne
                                                                Website & Blog - Reflections
                                                                Prints

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 219 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘old master drawings’ is closed to new replies.