WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: QDC - our Quick-Dry-Cafe ..... come chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
Sheila....get yourself a tent, go out to Valley Forge this winter and live like George Washington....scenery, snow, etc.....

Sure Blue! I do love Valley Forge but where would I plug in my computer?

I did a lifetime of camping one day in Maine!

But I love Quebec City and I'd go there again- only with WARM winter clothing! I still remember the food I had there.... delicious! Food in the hotel and all around. I went down the mountain (and up too I;m sure) in a Funicular(?) I'm not sure what they are called in English or even French. In the lower city I went to a Italian restaurant with a BIG wood burned stove. I remember the pizza and the onion soup so well. Recently I found that I have a lot of biological family in Quebec. (I'm adopted into my all Irish family) Back then I felt like I was among family but I didn't know why.

(None of this will make sense when I come back to it in a few hours!)

-Helen Keller
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:49 PM
A Local Legend

Washington didn’t have a computer in Valley Forge...I think he utilized his ‘cell phone’.....ordered ‘take out’....
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
Washington didn’t have a computer in Valley Forge...I think he utilized his ‘cell phone’.....ordered ‘take out’....

Bummer Blue, I can't do take out due to the Celiac issue. I could bring loads of Kind bars and fruit. But there are so many deer at Valley Forge I'd be scared!

LOL
Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 02:46 AM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Yes they call it the funicular (funiculaire) to get from the Haute-Ville upper town to Basse-Ville lower town. They have at least two in Lisbon as well. Lisbon is built on a plain between steep sided hills. We stayed in a hotel on the "up" side and getting "down" from the "up" quickly is a challenge, so the funicular works very efficiently. Besides Quebec City and Lisbon I can't think of where else I might have seen a funicular, although I am sure there are others.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 03:07 PM
A Local Legend

If Washington had to eat ‘Kind bars’ instead of ‘Phiiy Cheese Steaks’, we may not have had the wonderful country we have today!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
Yes they call it the funicular (funiculaire) to get from the Haute-Ville upper town to Basse-Ville lower town. They have at least two in Lisbon as well. Lisbon is built on a plain between steep sided hills. We stayed in a hotel on the "up" side and getting "down" from the "up" quickly is a challenge, so the funicular works very efficiently. Besides Quebec City and Lisbon I can't think of where else I might have seen a funicular, although I am sure there are others.

Colin, I've seen some in In Italy where I learned the term and also in Chile. I'm thinking also maybe in San Francisco?
Just looked them up. There are three in Pennsylvania!

Sheila

-Helen Keller

Last edited by RoadLessTaken : 01-12-2020 at 08:23 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

lol Sheryl, you get more of a workout walking in a snowsuit.

Winter is annoying if you have glasses. If I cover my face I can't breathe or my glasses fog up.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:04 PM

Hails from Canada

Anything in life is annoying when you wear glasses. A walk in the sun means a dilemma over sunglasses. A walk in the rain means you need windshield wipers. A walk in the cold can give you foggy lenses. As does even opening the dishwasher!

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Enthusiast
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
Anything in life is annoying when you wear glasses. A walk in the sun means a dilemma over sunglasses. A walk in the rain means you need windshield wipers. A walk in the cold can give you foggy lenses. As does even opening the dishwasher!

So true but not as annoying as not being able to find one's glasses and trying to squint thru life!

-Helen Keller
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 09:55 AM
A Local Legend

Sheila...be very careful going out in Philly...I read in the paper this morning that 7 people were killed and 12 were shot over the weekend...and 1400 over the past year...those are alarming figures...maybe you should pitch a tent in Valley Forge!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Philly sounds horrible. I don't like big cities and crowds and traffic anyway. I'd prefer a small cabin in the wilderness with a wood stove, even in winter. Lots of wildlife here, even in winter but usually no bears! Bears are a real bane to people who like to walk and hike the trails, like me. Moose can be a problem, but getting in to the trees is enough to discourage them, not so the bears. They're usually asleep now.

It's -39c this morning (too cold for walking, dressed in anything) but going up this afternoon. I'll be walking again today. Mon is suppose to be a balmy -12!

Colin, I really hate the rain. I don't think I could live in the rainy coastal region. It's not too cold to walk here very often. The rest of the winter is walkable here. The town keeps the sidewalks cleared very well most of the time. Lots of cross country ski trails too, although I don't ski but am always thinking I might start...one day...lol.

I'm focusing on spring now. I'm making spiral beaded sun catchers. Its a nice break from painting. I'm also putting in a cutting garden in the spring and am casting about for seeds to start early now. Will be "winter sowing" soon for those seeds that need some winter to germinate - gives me a chance to dig in the dirt mid winter . I plan to start another painting in a few days.

I wear glasses too but I don't wear them when out walking for the fog up reason. I'm also careful with the glasses due to the cost. Also, extreme cold and heat will degrade the coating so it starts to peel off. That happened to my last pair so I don't wear them to cook, open dishwasher or outside in these temps. I don't even take them with me as they will freeze, even in a pocket or purse.
- "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:14

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 03:20 PM

Hails from Canada

I quite like Philadelphia. It has great old buildings and such a storied history. And a truly outstanding Museum of Art.

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2020, 04:11 PM
A Local Legend

Colin...you are so right about Philadelphia, especially that beautiful art museum...excellent colleges also..but like a lot of cities, crime has raised it’s ugly head!...it’s to bad!..
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I'm with you Sheryl, don't like the city. Or being in the rain lol. All those people who like walking in the rain don't wear glasses. And I don't have the option of not wearing them, pretty blind without them. I've only had the problem with the coating coming off with one pair though.

Yeah, should think about what seeds I need to order soon. Too bad we never finished setting up the greenhouse. My husband has a bad habit of starting things and not finishing.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2020, 02:44 PM

Hails from Canada

No rain here! A lot of winter arrived last night.

Now I must go out and shovel!