WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2018, 04:54 PM

Re: New to site--Hello!

Interesting...I live in Arkansas. The sculptures I have ready for the foundry are different animals. The Lion here is about 95% finished. I use Roma Plastilina for these guys. I would love to know what foundry you would recommend.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 AM

I got in a gallery!! 6 pieces accepted. Now if only I can sell em...fingers crossed.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Congrats! That is a big feat for most artists, to get accepted in their first gallery! You have very unique works. I am sure that your stylistic aquatic creatures will find a home! You could send your lion to a foundry that both Lynda and I love, it is in the upper corner of Oregon. Parks Bronze. The patina artist will make your sculpture sing!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:40 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Good for you! I knew you'd get in. Your stuff is so fun and original, they should sell well. And as SD said, Parks Bronze is great and their patina work is outstanding. Let me know if you want their contact info.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2018, 11:55 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Sorry I missed the lion post! I've been snowed under and haven't checked here as often as usual. That is a GORGEOUS lion!!

Parks Bronze - email [email protected]
331 Golf Course Rd.
Enterprise OR 97828
Phone 541-426-4595

If you can get up there, take a tour of the foundry and look at the various patinas on the work there. They can do wild and crazy, traditional French brown (like Sculpture Dolls' children on the bench piece), or more natural colors like my horses.

Sometimes Bart (the patina guy) will get an inspiration to do something different - he once told me that he could do a beautiful marbled patina on one of my black horses (as seen above). The marbled one sells better than the black one!

The guy who answers the phone is Tom - he's fun and a really good guy (as are Bart and Steve Parks, the owner, and the other folks there). Tell them I said "Howdy!" when you contact them. I just sent them a mold to make a new casting of an old piece. They do outstanding work and when I found them, their prices were 1/3 lower than any I had found in the Midwest, East and South. Yeah, the shipping is expensive to go that far (for me anyway), but overall, I think it's totally worth it.

BTW, on your lion - I often ask for the high edges of the hair on my pieces to be buffed back to bare bronze so they have that highlight (and to prove they aren't plastic horses - so many people over the years have asked if my horses were Breyers - GACK!!!!). You can see that in Maestoso (above), in his mane, tail and the feathers on his legs. It gives the hair more dimension and movement, IMO - and looks like the sunshine putting highlights on the hair. (in my opinion, anyway).

Some foundries will gold plate these edges - I've never asked for that, I like the softness of the real bronze color for my horses, so I don't know if they do that or not.

They can do your lion in totally natural colors if you want, or they can make the depressions in his mane bright pink or blue (patina, not paint) - whatever you want.

Keep up the excellent work!

Last edited by ArtsyLynda : 12-08-2018 at 11:58 AM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks so much guys! Love the marbled look on that horse Lynda! My goal is to use the proceeds from the found object sculptures to support the foundry work. (These fish cost me about one US dollar per pound to make, so quite a bit cheaper!). And thanks for those awesome foundry tips! Can hardly wait to explore that side of sculpting.

Here’s my latest in the gallery. Large Mouth Bass

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Wow, I wish I could work with such inexpensive materials! The new fish is way cool! Are you using copper wire or bronze welding rods for all those straight lines? I love the propeller at the bottom! What a fun addition!

I'm glad you like the marbled patina. There are a LOT of different patinas they can do. You'll just have to see what they can do that you like.

There are cold patinas you can use on your fish or other things you make at home, if you want. They're from Sculpt Nouveau, (https://sculptnouveau.com). You can use them on a lot of other materials than metal, and you can blend them, layer them, all kinds of things. You can get traditional looks or you can go wild with them. They are used to make faux finishes in architectural uses (like fake copper roofs on some buildings in Vegas), so many things. I took a workshop with them when I first heard of them. I just looked at their website and they have LOADS of other products now! You can spray them on just in spots if you don't want to patina the entire fish. Just an idea that popped into my head to share. Check them out!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

Copper wire. I experimented with different chemicals to get different patinas. That website looks very interesting! I will have to order something from them and try it out. Thanks for the tip!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

You're welcome! Those patinas really are amazing. Have fun!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Hi Hynesite. I just have to tell you how much I enjoy your work! I love the "upcycled" nature of your beautiful and amazing fish (the lion is wonderful too!). I adore steampunk-style art, especially in sculpture, so it's been a real treat to see all of these creations of yours. Beautiful, inspiring artwork!

Also, this thread is packed full of incredibly valuable information for those of us trying to get out in the art market. Thanks for sharing so much, everyone!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

We're always happy to share information. If you have questions, start a thread and we'll do our best to help you!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:27 PM

Thank you so much Jenna! You just made my day!
The gallery informed me that a gentleman is coming in to buy one of my fish on Saturday! Woot!

Here's my very latest---just finished today. (Scarab)

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Kudos on the sale!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2018, 02:36 AM

Quick update...I've sold four sculptures at the gallery in my first month! Also had my first commission thanks to facebook. He saw my work and connected to have a triggerfish sculpted. If you guys are not on fb, I highly recommend. I avoided it like the plague until a few weeks ago when my gallery said I HAD to have one. I post every three to four days and keep it as a business and not personal. Show works, works in progress, ect.

Here's a little fire fly I made using a bulb from a Revere film projector circa 1940.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2018, 08:38 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Wow!!! I knew your work would sell well! Good for you! The firefly is cute. I love your imagination. Keep up the good work!