WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
near Gembrook, Vic

Hails from Australia
Every Dog Has Its Day

As a bit of an intro, I'm an ex-pat American in Australia. We live on a beautiful little farmlet in Victoria with two kids, four dogs (soon to increase), a cat, two house-bunnies and various farm critters. I am completely dog obsessed - training and behaviourism (particularly wrt fear/aggression issues) is my bread and butter and my breed is the Australian Shepherd. For anyone wondering, Aussies come in red and black tri (red/black dog with tan and white) as well as red and blue merle, where the coat is mottled with either grey or cinnamon-sugar colouring. They cna have brown eyes, blue eyes or marble eyes and a number of them are born with natural bob tails. In many areas of the world the dogs born long tailed at birth are docked but in Aus this is illegal so we have a plethora of tail lengths from nubby little bobs to quarter length, half length and full length. So many of the dogs I sketch may be missing tails, have different colour eyes, patchy colour coats etc. We train in herding, obedience, flyball and dabble in agility and freestyle. I'm a member of our breed club and enough of a sucker to end up on various committees. Not shockingly, most of my sketches are dogs, the ones I live with or that I know from various shows, trials or training clubs. I sketch them in my little art diary, some pencil, some watercolour pencil, some pen. So that's me in a nutshell. Some of these are older, some done today. I want to try to challenge myself to do more quickie sketches and such to avoid 'artists block' so to speak, hence the start to this thread! The book itself is a Quill A5 1010 gsm cartridge art diary.

"Sierra" My oldest girl, nearing 10 years but still so crazy no one ever believes me and insist surely I must mean 10 months. LOL Pencils.

"Verity" My heart dog, now at the Rainbow Bridge. Her one eye is softer than the other as she had bilateral iridial colombomas and the light bothered her. Watercolour pencils.

"Hope" Verity's little sister, sketched wading through the grass in one of our paddocks after a good play took out enough wild-n-crazy for her to move at a pace that wasn't flat out!

"Tilley" Verity and Hope's mum, as she was when I went to one of our shows and she was pestering me for belly rubs! The biggest sookie lala around!
"Spok" aka Sugargum Ruff Diamond HT He was an old chap when I sketched him here and a cryptic merle, which means that while he was genetically merle, he appeared black tri at first glance - his merle colouring chiefly being on his front lower leg and cheeks/forehead. Pen.
"Judges Choice" A lovely blue merle dog who caught my eye while I was resting ringside. Pen.

This lad was a pet puppy who'd come to visit his "first mum" (breeder) as an adult and cheer on his siblings at our specialty show. He had such an interesting face and madly keen expression I wanted to sketch him. Watercolour pencils.

That's about it for now! More later!