Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Just got a Holbein 500 Palette, how do I modify it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    terranersa

I lost my previous watercolor palette, one of those small generic tin ones that usually come with pans. The holbein is built better and costs just as much.

In general do people just put paint in the row where the thumb is? Or do they use both sides?

It doesn’t close in a way I would expect it to. There is nothing to keep it closed and the hinge doesn’t have any resistance either. How do I modify it so that it has just enough friction to stay closed like a tin palette? I don’t want to rely on a rubberband, its inelegant…

Also I want to use m graham paints in it, would they just flow right out?

M.L. Schaefer

Question: You’ll be using this for plein air and the studio? But you bought it mainly for plein air?

First honey-based paints such as M. Graham may be the wrong paint to use for plein air, but super great for studio work.

Why have all those wells and not use them. Keep a few empty wells (your just-in-case wells). You will definitely find a use for them eventually! But fill the rest of your wells.

Others can offer information about closing the palette. Me, I’m an inelegant type of gal, so rubber bands wouldn’t bother me. But, on a happy note, find something like a rubber band that is on the pretty side (it will also give you room, when you close your palette, to put some towel/saran wrap between the palette sides if your palette is still wet from use.

I’ve never used a Holbein 500, but looking at, I’m thinking that the one “open side” may not be the greatest for plein air.

Great question!

Margarete

When he, the Spirit of truth is come...he will be your Guide... Holy Bible (Old and New Testament)
            Under the Concrete are Flowers Yet to be Born...from a Chilean Poem

terranersa

This is mostly for plein air. From my previous experiences with other brands, they dry too thoroughly in palettes for most pigments. I had a couple m graham in the pans and they were much easier to work with as you hardly have to reconstitute them at all.

indraneel

I have my 250 in a thin wooden box which carries the rest of my supplies (brushes, pencil, clips etc) for plein air. No leaks yet. Photo here https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1295704

tamiea

I have holbein palette. But I use it usually just at home.

hblenkle

How about a velcro strap?

How about a velcro strap?

Inconvenient because it can be easily lost.

@terranersa
                            Just put a little magnet between the two lids and this will hold them in place. When you use your palette the magnet will stick to the one or the other lid. You can get small round like buttons magnets from a board game ( a magnetic chess board or something similar. Remove the magnet from one of its pieces).:)

Cyntada

That’s brilliant Marialena!

I live in a fairly dry climate (US West Coast) and have had some intolerably sticky M Grahams, but none that actually ran in the palette. If you live where it’s more humid, your mileage may vary. :wave:

CK =)
                                I take great comfort in knowing that my genuine typos will probably be blamed on some device's autocorrect. :angel:
                                DIY art supplies, sketches, and more: cyntada.com / @cyntada

Irrelevant.. Was thaaaat difficult for Holbein to add a little catcher, button, magnet, ring to hold this palette’s lids in place when closed? It is a watercolour palette after all, colors can run all over!!

Bur I like it.. I think the 1000 ( the large one) would be a nice palette for my studio. :thumbsup:

Neeman

I lost my previous watercolor palette, one of those small generic tin ones that usually come with pans. The holbein is built better and costs just as much.

In general do people just put paint in the row where the thumb is? Or do they use both sides?

It doesn’t close in a way I would expect it to. There is nothing to keep it closed and the hinge doesn’t have any resistance either. How do I modify it so that it has just enough friction to stay closed like a tin palette? I don’t want to rely on a rubberband, its inelegant…

Also I want to use m graham paints in it, would they just flow right out?

Sorry but I do not understand your question

Does these pictures help

Holbein 250

Holbein 350

@ Neeman. Do these palettes stain after heavy use ( in the long run)?

ETA. I’m seriously thinking to buy the big one, to have my colours in there and get rid of any porcelain plates I currently use. I found cat hair even on them.. I vacuum the whole house everyday and I still find cat hair everywhere.. HOW MANY HAIR DOES MY CAT HAVE ANYWAY?!! :eek: :( ( I’ll vacuum the cat too if she keeps on this way :lol:)

KeeverMacLeod

Plastic palettes stain. That’s simply the nature of the beast.

Plastic palettes stain. That’s simply the nature of the beast.

These are metallic and it is supposed that they have a ceramic coating. Does this ceramic layer stain after a while or not?
                                        Personally don’t care that much about their design and other features .. I just want a palette to put everything in it, do my colour mixes too and replace anything else I currently use.
                                        But if it is to pay 60 euros mainly for the ceramic coating, ( what else??) I want to be sure that this is indeed ceramic and doesn’t stain.

KeeverMacLeod

It shouldn’t stain, but Phthalos have a funny way of defying conventional knowledge and staining everything they come across.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.