Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching The Classroom Basic 101: Class 7 – EXAMTEST

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    JayD

Basic 101: Class 7
        EXAM: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

Congratulations class! You have made it this far and you could not have made me prouder. Not only have I gotten to meet some great people but I have met some extraordinary and special artist. ALL of you deserve a round of applause. I have learned a lot from you as well. I see from your work enthusiasm and inspiration for my own work for years to come.

This week we are going to take everything that we have learned and put it all together.. This is going to be deceptive short. Here is this weeks assignment:

Below you will see a single still life that was personally picked out by WC Guide Stoy Jones. You may post your work here and on Stoy’s weekly drawing thread. Here is what you need to do:

1. VERY carefully establish the basic geometric shapes.

2. VERY carefully establish the centerlines

3. VERY carefully create any ellipses and make sure that you have them balanced – remember that this one point (the ellipse) will make or break your drawing.

4. Make your first drawing – don’t worry about detail and post it to the class

5. You must do the folds!

NEXT

Part I: Do the drawing directly from the still life photo

Part II: Add something personal about yourself to the still life – it can be a cherished object or a symbolic object. Be prepared to explain your choice.

Good luck. I am very proud of all of the work that you all have done thus far.

Happy drawing!!!

Note from the Editor: This thread continues with the recent posts. The older posts can be found in this closed thread:
        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234762

catmandolin.deviantart.com

Anonymous

Diane –
            No worries about the outline, it is still very clearly seen at this stage. This class is in the first place about form, and you managed that very well :clap:. But the shading is very high key, a bit as an overexposed photo. I don’t think it is the scan, because there are nice black areas. The mid tones are missing. There are several versions of the reference photo, but even the lightest one has a lot more gray values than your rendering.

Of course, it could be artistic license. But as an sports instructor of mine used to say: did you choose to do it that way, or was it just happening?
            As you work on the class on shading, why not use this as additional practice?

wedhatted

Your sports instructor was very wise :)
                It really didn’t look that light to me on the paper when I scanned it, but yup, when i went back and looked at it again, it sure is washed out.

How is this?

Anonymous

Diane –
                    Much better :thumbsup:. The background is a lot more convincing. As “folds” are the subject of a much higher class, we will leave that for now. But look how the two vertical bands on the pot should be a lot darker than the “real” highlights (on the apple and the upper left of the pot).
                    And talking about shading, observe how the apple is much more suggesting a roundness than the coffeepot.Your strokes on the apple follow the contour, whereas they go straight up and down on the pot. OK, the contours of the sides of the pot are straight, but that is a poor excuse :evil:.
                    But no doubt, you passed this examination :clap::thumbsup:

Pasqueflower

4. Make your first drawing—don’t worry about detail and post it to the class

5. You must do the folds!

Hi, Arnoud! Thanks so much for your kind words about my last drawing, I truly appreciate your encouragement. This is my first submission for Class 7 — I’m reading JayD’s instructions as meaning a line drawing or rough-out sketch of some sort in order to establish the forms.

Is this OK for a start?

This was a tough set-up to try to depict, so before I hurl myself at it again, I’m going to wait for your comments!

Pam :)

"Neglect not the gift that is in thee" - 1 Timothy 4:14
                        Anonymous

Pam –
                            This is a very good start.
                            Forms and proportions are generally correct. There are some problems with :evil: ellipses.
                            — The bottom corner is too sharp. It is hidden in the shadow, but one should draw the complete ellipse in a study, also the part that cannot be seen. That will guard against this error. I have manipulated the reference a bit. You see that the corner is nicely rounded off. There is even a extra bead, caused by the tinsmith’s seam.

— The ellipses of the lid are at about the same distance from the (implied) EL as the top of the pot, so they have the same perspective and their curvature should be comparable. They are too flat for the moment.
                            With these little corrections, you’ll have a very solid foundation to continue :thumbsup:.

Pasqueflower

Hi, Arnoud —

Life has been interfering with Art this week: too many items on the Gotta Do list :p

But here’s what I have so far.

I need further work on the top & bottom ellipses of the coffeepot, and the lid’s too light of course, it’s not finished yet. I’ve selected my personal item but don’t think it’ll require rearranging anything, so at this point I’m planning to add it last.

Anonymous

Pam –
                                    This is coming along nicely :thumbsup:.
                                    A tip: don’t be afraid of improving on the reference photo :). That one fold in the bg that continues the line of the spout is bad composition :evil:. It is like those snapshots where twigs are growing out of peoples’ ears :lol:. It is easy to shift that fold a bit. Several examples can be found in the WDT that run parallel with the start of this class.
                                    It is very good to avoid hard outlines, but long stretches where the bg and the subject coalesce make it difficult to “read”. An often used method is making the bg darker on the light side (and brighter at the subject’s shadow side, which is already the case here).
                                    Keep it up :)

uneekfish

Well, I finally got a chance to spend some time on this! I forgot that you were suppose to add something, so I put in a pencil at the end.

Thanks for looking…

Anonymous

uneekfish –
                                            Nice drawing :clap:.
                                            Of course it is never perfect :o. The handle is a bit deformed, it is much straighter in the reference, and I think that is more logical as a design too. The ellipses are almost correct, the bottom right is too pointy (yes, still :evil:). On the subject of ellipses, do you realize you changed the Eye Level? It is halfway the teapot in the reference, and far above it in your drawing. If in doubt, take a glass or mug and move it up and down before your eyes. Observe how the form of the top rim changes.
                                            Your shading is becoming very good; I like very much how you rendered the different textures :clap:.
                                            Move on to a next class :thumbsup:

Pasqueflower

Hi, Arnoud!

Sorry to be so slow with this: a great deal of interference lately!

I’ve tried to incorporate all the corrections you suggested. In working on the personal object, my St. Michael the Archangel medallion, I found that it may have been unwise — well, maybe just inexperienced :o — of me to try to use a lightweight object like a necklace in a still life with two such chunky objects as the apple and the coffeepot. C’est la vie! But it’s incredible what I’ve learned about composition by wrestling with this picture!

As ever, I will be looking forward to your C & C —

Anonymous

Pam –

wrestling with this picture!

It was well worth the effort :clap::clap:. This is a very nice job.
                                                    I like particularly how you rendered the reflections. And the drawing of the apple is outstanding.

Pasqueflower

Thank you so much, Arnoud.

I’m going to go into #8 for Light and Shade — it looks like a great class!

oviyam

Dear Arnoud,

Good Day to You.
                                                            Posting my Class 7 assignment for your kind review. please check this.

Regards
                                                            Jarish

Anonymous

Jarish –
                                                                Nice job :clap:.
                                                                It does not really matter for this kind of subject, but as a reminder for subjects where accurate proportions are important (figure, portrait, etc.) putting reference and drawing side by side is of great help to see your “artistic license”:

An even stronger software tip is described in this article[/URL].
                                                                Taken on its own, this is a very fine drawing, beautifully rendered :clap:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 350 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.