Home Forums Explore Subjects Figure, The Pencil sketches

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Constance

A figure from Croquis cafe – no. 302, untimed off course. I really like this pose, and wanted to try sketching with pencil instead of charcoal….inspired by an amazing figure artist’s works…I feel i need to draw and observe more of hands and feet…

And, a self portrait (profile) in pencil….

Instagram: unsuspectingstrangers

oh wow!!! Visited your site Constance, your work is amazing :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
        More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

Really well done, Constance- I am a fan!

bethany
        moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
        website www.bethanyart.com
        My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

ArtistOz

Good work as usual Constance. That figure pose is unusual and challenging the flexibility of the human body makes it the pre-eminent subject for artists. Learn everything you can about edges it will make a big difference to your figure drawing.

Bill,
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/artistoz/
            Instagram, billwperry

Constance

Thanks David :) I’m still learning…still a loooooong way from where I’d like to be.

Thank you so much Bethany! No, I am YOUR fan!

Thanks so much for the encouragement Bill :) Edges in paintings…I understand, but may I know more of edges in line drawings? Is it ‘softening’ of edges? Im not confident with lines…

ArtistOz

It is easier to explain in pictures I hope you don’t mind me posting a couple?

In my art group we were discussing lines but you can’t talk about lines without discussing edges and it was easier to do a demo with glass than talking about line and edges. I’ll post it below.

The support we draw or paint on is a flat plane and if you have a single weight line drawing it reminds us of that flat plane if you want to turn that plane into a window you have to put in some visual cues. Its all trickery that works we see the flat plane as a window into a 3D world, edges play a role in that illusion along with perspective, overlapping shapes and size variations.

Edges are where two things or planes meet.
                    Edges can be:
                    Soft
                    Hard
                    Fuzzy
                    Lost
                    and with Line
                    thick
                    thin
                    It depends on the light.

Here you can see how single weight outline kills any sense of depth. By varying the line and thinking about edges the figure moves from a flat shape into 3D form.

You can see the powerful effect of changing the edges in the glass and bottle below. Have a good look at the glass below and analyse the ingredients, abstract light and dark lines/shapes that individually mean nothing but together create a convincing illusion. Hope that clarifies edges in drawing for you.

Bill,
                    Instagram, billwperry

I’m not sure I understand what you are saying Bill. Are you saying we should create the outline edge first or do you just mean the weight of the line? I’ve read about that but once you start work on the modelling of the figure surely that will come through. I love the freedom in the first drawing, it screams movement.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art - Leonardo da Vinci
                    More than happy to receive C&C on anything I post
                    Instagram
                    https://www.instagram.com/the_henson_gallery/

ArtistOz

Ignore the single line outlines they are only there to demonstrate how they destroy form and the illusion of depth. The bottle is there to show how powerful understanding edges can be, figures, because of their complexity are harder to understand. I found showing people how to draw glass bottles etc easier to show what edges do because they think its something quite difficult and are surprised how easy it really is once they understand the how.

If Constance was to redraw the Croquis Cafe figure again being aware of the edges this time she will notice the improvement that knowing about edges can bring to a drawing.

Bill,
                        Instagram, billwperry

Constance

I appreciate the explanations Bill, thank you so much! As I’m a visual learner, the image examples/comparisons really helped. I understand….I think i will try the same pose again with what you’ve shared in mind…

123harry

I like both sketches. The way you are going after the form in the first (especially in the feet) and the portrait is beautifully sensitive.

C&C always welcome.
                                Instagram harry.hamill

OK

Great explanation of the use of edges in drawing from Bill this is the sort of reply that can make the Figure Forum worth while again rather than the usual platitudes we have been getting for so long.

Don’t suppose you would consider doing a short series of this sort of thing Bill?

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                    — Allen Ginsberg
                                    Are you ready for a Journey?
                                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

earlselwyn

Yes! Bill should do a series! Come on Bill!

instagram.com/earlselwyn/

Constance

Thank you so much Harry :)

Dave and Earl, i agree with both of you :thumbsup:

IndianaKate

Bill’s work is excellent, and I too would like a series.

Constance, you have multiple kinds of lines in your portrait. The proportions in the figure are good and it’s expressive. It’s a great sketch. I always hesitate to mess with a great sketch, but sometimes the result is powerful. Sometimes I copy a great sketch like yours and mess with different ways to take the next step. That way I don’t loose the great sketch I love.

Kate

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.