WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 10:26 PM

Hails from United States
cat portrait

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: cat portrait
Year Created:
Medium: Digital
Surface: Computer
Dimension: 4500x5000
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm not very good at backgrounds, what kind of background would you suggest for this? I don't want this to look stiff like my portraits have been in the past--maybe adding like a curtain or leaves or something would help give it more life?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any anatomical mistakes worth pointing out? Plain background or detailed? Feel free to comment any other thoughts and ideas
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 01:27 AM

Re: cat portrait

Was happy to see the torso as I scrolled down. Only anatomical thing would be the curved line under left (for the viewer) ear. It suggests a forehead narrower than the eye sockets. But then, cat anatomy escapes me, I have a greyhound.
I think a bizarre, maybe elaborate, background of some sort would be fun...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 11:39 AM
Arizona

Hails from United States

Haha! This makes me laugh.
This portrait looks quite formal and 'posed,' like the cat has paid a lot of money to have it done. Usually for a formal sitting, the background will show things that elucidate the personality of the subject. What would this cat want to say about itself and its life?
Also, consider moving the cat just a nudge to the right? I would also like to see its 'hands,' so that the head doesn't wind up looking pasted on.

The anatomy looks spot-on to me.

I would love to see what you do with this!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:00 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackieRat
Haha! This makes me laugh.
This portrait looks quite formal and 'posed,' like the cat has paid a lot of money to have it done. Usually for a formal sitting, the background will show things that elucidate the personality of the subject. What would this cat want to say about itself and its life?
Also, consider moving the cat just a nudge to the right? I would also like to see its 'hands,' so that the head doesn't wind up looking pasted on.

The anatomy looks spot-on to me.

I would love to see what you do with this!
Thank you! Its been a tradition for me to do a portrait of one of our cats every year. I actually don't know much about this cat compared to the other ones since he's a stray and hasn't warmed up to me yet. He's pretty vocal but other than that he seems laid back. So I guess water and some vegetation reflects that somewhat.
In the updated version, I did move him up so you can see more of his arms, I don't really know what pose to put him in if I included his hands. There definitely are a lot of those cat portraits where they do simply just paste the head on there and I definitely should try and make it clear this is not that. I'll see if I can scooch him aside more towards the corner too.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevan
Was happy to see the torso as I scrolled down. Only anatomical thing would be the curved line under left (for the viewer) ear. It suggests a forehead narrower than the eye sockets. But then, cat anatomy escapes me, I have a greyhound.
I think a bizarre, maybe elaborate, background of some sort would be fun...
Thank you! I'm definitely set on some kind of detailed background for sure.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2019, 02:05 PM

Hails from United States

Here's the updated version of the sketch!
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2019, 05:19 PM

Hails from United States

Hey everyone! Here's what I've gotten done today. Is everything still looking good? I've never painted fur before without using a fancy brush for it, so that arm was a challenge. How did it come out? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:11 AM

The arm looks good. I had to zoom in a bit. I like how its coming along with form as well, eyes are really nice. Keep going!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 12:25 PM

Hails from United States

Hello everyone! I'm back from the dead. C&C greatly appreciated. You can disregard the face since I haven't really been working on it yet.
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Glad to see more of this. The white fur looks great, I like how you brought the color of the vest into it a little.