WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Sketchbook/Art Journal forum?
Yes, I would be an active participant. 37 29.60%
Yes, I would be an occasional participant. 60 48.00%
I would be a lurker. 12 9.60%
I would not be interested. 16 12.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Sketchbook/Art Journal Forum Participation Poll

I've been thinking lately about how many art journal/sketchbook artists we have here on WC in painting and drawing media who might be interested in a forum where all their journal work can be posted, as well as threads on how to make sketchbooks and art journals for various media, and discussions/reviews of various sketchbooks for watercolor, ink, gouache, acrylic or pencil on the market, materials, etc.

This poll is to determine how many WCers would use such a forum. I think if enough artists are interested, WC staff can then consider whether or not to go ahead with its creation.

Right now, sketches from photos cannot be posted to Artwork from Life, ink sketches cannot be posted in Watercolor, colored pencil sketches cannot be posted in pen and ink, watercolor sketches cannot be posted in Drawing and Sketching. So, perhaps a place is needed where these multi-media artists can post their sketchbook work in a single place, and even have their own threads for their sketchbooks with media that varies page to page.

Feel free to post any comments to this thread as well.

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-16-2010 at 02:16 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United Nations
Re: Sketchbook/Art Journal Forum Participation Poll

Jamie - Having a seperate thread for Sketch book/ Journal art, will help me take up sketching seriously. Since there are a lot of master sketch book artists here, it would be a wonderful learning zone and great fun viewing other's sketchbooks.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I think Journals are not the same as Sketchbooks. Sketching is the precursor to many of my paintings. I wouldn't have the patience and dedication to keep up a journal.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydgirl
Jamie - Having a seperate thread for Sketch book/ Journal art, will help me take up sketching seriously. Since there are a lot of master sketch book artists here, it would be a wonderful learning zone and great fun viewing other's sketchbooks.

Hydie, I also love looking through other artists' sketchbooks and art journals, but it's hard to find them here on WC, as they are scattered and buried in so many forums.

Jamie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 12:44 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
I think Journals are not the same as Sketchbooks. Sketching is the precursor to many of my paintings. I wouldn't have the patience and dedication to keep up a journal.

Doug

Doug, I agree that they are not the same; however, the line can be so fine. I don't know how it could be defined. I've seen your beautiful watercolor and ink "travel sketches". Would that be a sketchbook, or an art journal? How would you define that distinction?

Jamie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Immortalized
California

I would definitely be there, especially if it were to replace the Artwork from Life forum...I'd follow the Scavenger Hunts wherever they go. That isn't "another forum" to visit, that's just going to a "different" forum.

Most of my work in the past 1.5 years have been in and on sketchbooks and journals. I wouldn't separate them, just some people write more than others. Even for paints, I find sketchbooks more portable and less "precious" so that I don't have to make every painting/drawing so perfect and I can try different things more often.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
Naples, FL/Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I've been interested in working on art journals for a long time and would love the inspiration of a forum for it. Co-incidentally I'd pulled a few out to begin one seriously only the day before I first heard of this idea. I'm also working in a sketch book ever since I found "Sketchbook Challenge" and am really enjoying it. So, I think it's a great idea!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Please ADD this Sketch & Journal forum. Make it All-Media. So that participants can start a thread per volume on things like my Moleskine watercolor journal thread or Scattykat's Garden Journal thread and of course maybe a thread for loose sketches per person -- fewer threads to fish through but lots of multi-image threads.

It'd be a great thing to see people's progress through their sketch threads.

But please do NOT get rid of the Artwork from Life forum. I love that for what it is. I post in it only when I do something from life but I really love having that singled out for what it is.

For one thing like most artists I don't draw as well from life as from photo references. I've worked hard to get better at life drawing. I feel as if when I go through the Artwork from Life forum, I'm seeing works comparable to mine -- not as many absolutely spot on perfect drawings from photos. It's easier to compare my progress with others when everyone else is doing it the hard way too! Life drawing and painting is its own very specific skill, a wonderful one to master.

But it's hard to understand what can be done with it from looking at a mix of photo reference drawings and life drawings together, since there are so many effective tricks for accuracy in using photo references that just don't work in life drawing, or work but not with as much precision. Live subjects move! Even static objects drawn from life, the artist moves and the view changes. Being able to average that out and learn to get a good life rendering is important.

They're different forums and I would be an active participant in BOTH! So please do not drop Artwork from Life and please do add this new one for journals! I might start some other themed journals for the journals thread if I knew there was a place to post them sequentially as what they are, like a Cats Journal or Nature Journal or something like that.

I think it's a great idea, go for it. Just don't replace one of my favorite forums with it, okay?

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 03-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Julie, I'm glad you'll be on board!

Judi, I also think it could be a center for sketchbook/journal inspiration!

Robert, I TOTALLY agree with every single thing you said. We won't be doing away with Artwork from Life; it is there for exactly the reasons you have stated. However, it will soon swap places with Plein Air, so if it seems to disappear in a few days, just look for it as a subforum of Plein Air.

Jamie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Enthusiast
Beaverton, Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi, all!
One of my favorite things to do (when I have time) is to surf peoples journals and sketchbooks on the net. Some are pretty good.
I would like to humbly submit this thought, though. If a sketch is posted and there is a little backround on it,then maybe it's not as detailed as a journal, but sort of journal like. And if you are following along with a group it kind of gets to be like that. ( I think this is what Jamie was trying to say?)
I have seen some posts and threads like that. Sort of like a social thing as well.
Last, I also agree with Robert. Especially the All-Media part.
"May I impress upon every reader that illustration is life as you perceive and interpret it. That is you heritage as and artist and it is the quality which will be sought for in your work. Try never to lose it or subordinate it to the personality of another."
-Andrew Loomis-
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemanjacob
Hi, all!
One of my favorite things to do (when I have time) is to surf peoples journals and sketchbooks on the net. Some are pretty good.
I would like to humbly submit this thought, though. If a sketch is posted and there is a little backround on it,then maybe it's not as detailed as a journal, but sort of journal like. And if you are following along with a group it kind of gets to be like that. ( I think this is what Jamie was trying to say?)
I have seen some posts and threads like that. Sort of like a social thing as well.
Last, I also agree with Robert. Especially the All-Media part.

It would definitely be an all-media forum, so it could include the collage-type journaling as well as any painting/drawing mediums.

I cruise the internet looking for art journals too! I have all of Danny Gregory's books, and a published book of a Maine journal, and Claudia Nice's journal books. From Danny Gregory's latest compilation book, I was able to locate others online, but it would be so good to be able to scroll through them right here!

Please pass this link along to any WN members/forums or anywhere on the internet where you think it would be of interest. I'd like to see 100 participant votes within a couple of weeks in order to be able to take it to the staff and justify the need for a separate forum.

Jamie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Definitely! What got me back into some form of art with CP was my sketching in journals. Growing up I was insprired greatly by the English book "Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady". I'm English and just loved the way she kept a Diary (journal) with all that was going on around her in the natural world (google the book). Her diary became famous once it was discovered. It was one of the biggest motivators to me to just sketch wildflowers etc, especially when I moved to this country with its different fauna and flora. There is something very satisfying about keeping a diary / journal with sketches or small drawings that I know many people love. Making an online version I think would be great!
I consider drawings or paintings or detailed art work to be a little more detailed or "finished" than sketches. Sketches to me are something done to "capture" a moment in a quick, loose way. (this is just MY interpretation!). Journaling or keeping a nature diary is sketches or more finished drawings accompanied by text talking about what you are drawing and filling in those senses that can not always be drawn such as the temperature, the smells around you, the emotion of the moment, as well as the personal feelings at the time that motivated the person to capture that moment on paper in the first place. I think it would be a great idea and I would enjoy visiting and contributing to such a forum. I think it would also motivate a lot of people. Just my 2 cents (or pence)!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Jamie, as you know, sketching for me is my homework. I started sketching in the Scavenger Hunts so that I would sketch regularly and from life. It is now "almost" a habit and even fun sometimes. Ha. The Hunts have been a wonderful encouragement to me. I think a sketchbook forum would be great. I would be encouraged to forge ahead and work on themes perhaps turning my sketchbook into a journal of sorts. I would hope it would be open to all media and any sketches from life or not.

I will keep Hunting whatever happens. Thanks for your help and encouragement always and developing this forum.
Winston Churchill
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Despite the very strong interest I expressed for this idea as discussed on the Scavenger Hunt, I had to vote "not interested" above. It appears that your emphasis is on the vehicle that carries some people's sketching. Although I admire people who create either sketchBOOKS or journals, I am not one of them. I love to sketch, but I have zero interest in doing so in either a sketchBOOK or journal. If only sketchers would be allowed on the forum... makes me sad that there still would be no home for us...
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

I just skimmed other people's comments and noticed that Artwork from Life forum will be a subforum of Plein Air in a few days. So much for my participation in the Scavenger Hunts. I prefer to sketch for the Hunt in the privacy of my home. I've enjoyed the Hunts though and will always be grateful for all I learned from them.