WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Italy

Question Colour Match Help Needed

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping someone can help me.
I have already drawn out the elephant (please see the photo I have included in the link below) on a half sheet of paper (so pretty big) and now want to start painting but am having so much trouble matching the pink/peach colour on parts of the body.
Does anyone have any idea how I can mix this colour? It doesn't have to be exactly the same but to at least get it fairly similar. I have tried lots of different reds and pinks and watered them down but they just aren't right. Rose Dore from W&N made me pause but again it isn't quite right. As there is quite a lot of this colour on the elephant I feel I should get it fairly similar.
To be honest I have a bit of a problem seeing reds and pinks correctly so I'm not surprised I'm having this issue.

If anyone could help I would very much appreciate it as I'm itching to get painting but this colour is really leaving me scratching my head and has put a halt to me getting started painting

Thanks a lot!

https://www.pexels.com/photo/sand-du...lephant-60506/

Last edited by Twiggalina : 07-15-2019 at 03:11 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Colour Match Help Needed

Try more of an orangey, warm tan mix , to me it looks more of soft orange than pinks or reds.. maybe a burnt sienna -
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...&bih=628&dpr=1
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JMW~
Try more of an orangey, warm tan mix , to me it looks more of soft orange than pinks or reds.. maybe a burnt sienna -
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...&bih=628&dpr=1

Thanks JMW for your suggestion.
I never would have thought of trying Burnt Sienna.
I kept trying pinks and reds and it wasn't until my husband told me that it wasn't pink or red did I think to post on here to see what other people thought. He suggested peach so I tried transparent orange, which I now realise is far too strong, with different yellows to try to make a match but that didn't work at all (got some horrible mixes in the process though)
I will have a look at the different brands of Burnt Sienna that I have to see if I have one that fits.
Thanks again!

If anyone else has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Last edited by Twiggalina : 07-15-2019 at 04:35 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Have a lot of DS and would consider Transparent Red Oxide and a touch of buff titanium. T red oxide is similar to burnt sienna as well.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:43 PM
Lord of the Arts

It's much more of an orange to me than a pink.

Most important though is to get the values right. Get the values and the color temperature relationships right and it will go a long way towards making the colors look right.

I see some subtle blues and purples in the grey across the forehead and ears. Nice compliment to the oranges.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

Nice mottling in the elephant's skin! I would be tempted to do a wet-in-wet effect for those areas (f.e. the front "bridge of the nose" or "top of the trunk"; also, ends of the flaps of the ears) to cause the grey to be dispersed by the arriving pink, or vice-versa. But which pink? That's what I think you're asking. Umm ... who cares!? In fact, I could imagine a great job (not necessarily DO it! but imagine it? heck yes!) by not going for two colors at all, but instead having the pinkish areas simply be the white of the paper, and the grayish areas be a flocculating and/or granulating pigment like (f.e.) Ultramarine. In general, don't go photo-realistic, is my suggestion.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 AM

I dont see any pink in that picture.. but from what i see..

burnt sienna (PR101 version) + ultramarine would be perfect for the whole elephants.

for the area with brighter earth-orange, you just need to add some red and maybe yellow to bump up the orange value.

the grey area would be a simple mix with burnt sienna + ultramarine and the darker value, just use more ultramarine..

and the granulation from ultramarine would also help creating the dusty look of the elephant.

Last edited by calvin_0 : 07-16-2019 at 12:03 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 AM

Yep, I'll probably try burnt sienna and ultramarine blue or cobalt for the gray areas, but I'd start with a very thin yellow ocher wash for the whole body. I would also use some sepia wash for the legs and deep shadows, althought 3 parts of bs and 1 of ultra bl should nail that dark gray brown.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Italy

Thank you everyone for helping with this!

I'm going to go with a light wash of Schmincke's Burnt Sienna and then drop in some greys to get that mottled look.
I'm still deciding on the greys to use. i might mix my own or go with a couple from DS. I have a new tube of Hematite Genuine that I haven't used yet so would like to get that in there somewhere. I'm really interested to see what the granulation is like in this paint.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggalina
Thank you everyone for helping with this!

I'm going to go with a light wash of Schmincke's Burnt Sienna and then drop in some greys to get that mottled look.
I'm still deciding on the greys to use. i might mix my own or go with a couple from DS. I have a new tube of Hematite Genuine that I haven't used yet so would like to get that in there somewhere. I'm really interested to see what the granulation is like in this paint.

well, a lot of people are going to recommend to mix your own grey, but if you want to use Hematite Genuine, feel free to do so.. but i recommend to mix in a little ultramarine on the darker value instead of using Hematite Genuine at full strength.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 11:04 AM

You could try drawing some small blob elephants on scrap paper and trying the color mixes first, you never know how pigments work together.

I vote for burnt sienna + ultramarine as well.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Well...here's a different way to consider the situation:

Painting is best when a personal and unique creation is made. So...don't worry about the colors you see in the photo. Create your own colors, your own personal interpretation and your own unique result.

Good luck!

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

What virgil said, you can't actually match real colors, its just nonsense to attempt it, even if you are a realist. Your goal is to do convincing color, and that requires context, illusion really, its a sleight of hand, and tricking a person into seeing what you are seeing.

You can match a photograph, or something which is printed, but those are not the actual colors either, they are just approximations. They are very convincing, but they are not the actual color, they can't be. I tried doing sunsets, now that I really know those colors, I look at photos of actual sunsets by some amazing photographers and know how off they are, the color does not glow like a sunset does, but they still feel right if you look at them during the day. If you saw them during a sunset you'd see how they don't even come close to the real thing.

If your main focus is using photos as references, at some point you have to go outside and learn the actual colors, otherwise you are just copying a copy which often has its own errors of color. Which is just fine, but even copying the colors of photo is nearly impossible.

It is context that matters, not the specific color, if you want something to look orange, and you only have brown, how do you do that. Well in commercial printing, the full colors stuff, like in glossy magazines and color brochures, I am sure you have seen oranges, and they looked real to you.

Here is a secret, and I have worked in commercial printing for 20 years, and did high color correction, and had cingular wireless as our customer too ( remember their orange logo ) which is very relevant. There is NO ORANGE, the closest you get is a color which is duller than the burnt sienna we use, definitely orangey, but its still brown. If you mix 100% yellow and 100% magenta, you get a nice red, but never a nice orange which is 100% yellow and 50% magenta, it is simply physically impossible, it either becomes red, or it becomes yellow. Same with blue, its really a cyan or a purple, the real blue of the sky is likewise out of gamut ( I have had to color correct every RGB photo of a sky for pleasing colors, the original color is always way too purple inside CYMK )

And we did their logo as a spot color ( actual orange ink, much like pyrrole orange ), and as process color, and they looked completely different, and the end users didn't notice. I had to explain why this was to all their print buyers over and over, but they had a brown version used in CMYK, and a really orange one done using spot colors.

Why do things look orange in CMYK, I am sure you remember seeing orange things, even actual oranges, its context. You put duller colors around it, and you use the color opposite it on the color wheel ( blue ). Same with the lighting, if the cast of the lights is yellow, that actually means the blue items are a bit green ( yellow plus blue is green ), but our minds remove this color cast since that yellow is all over.

We don't see with our eyes, we see with our minds - just cover up one eye or the other, see how things move back and forth, yet with both eyes we see things between what each eye does, our minds are changing what we see. When people say the third eye, this is the eye we use to deal with the world, and as artists we must learn how to communicate with it, to convince it that our pictures have the correct color, and dimension.

My suggestion, focus on value, if you get value right, no one is going to notice the color being off, in fact our brains will automagically just fix the issue in our heads, we won't even notice. Remember the act of recording an image on paper, which looks real and has dimension, that is an illusion, the viewer wants to believe it, to make sense of it. Let the painting finish in their minds, not on your paper where it will just be overworked and boring if you finish it for them.

Your job isn't to make a photo, your camera is for that, it is to capture the feeling. In doing plein air, we learn a painting will never compare to the subject you are painting. To think you can do that is assuming you might be able compete with God (or Nature), you are copying the greatest artist of all, your work no matter how genius will pale. Even the most minor thing, like catching the exact color, is nearly impossible unless your pigment is already matching.

It is not until you forget what the subject looks like exactly, when you stop comparing, do you see if your painting captured its essence, only then do you know if its any good.

This is stuff that is hard to learn, but if you get the values right, the rest will fall into place. Focus on that first. Try to think about pleasing color, appropriate color, and color relationships.

Suggest taking all your colors, and charting them. Make a grid, and all the colors along the top, and the same colors as rows, where they line up, mix them 50/50, then do a full, and a tint. Not only is this a good way to start seeing how the colors mix, this will become a reference for you. Next time you need a color, look for it here as your starting point.

Last edited by briantmeyer : 07-16-2019 at 04:14 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 AM
Italy

Thanks everybody for your replies!!