Home Forums Explore Media Digital Art Adjusting to the Wacom Intuos PRoM after Apple Pencil

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elainepsq

As many of you know, I’ve been painting digitally for many years, mainly Artrage with a smallerWacoms. I’m currently using the Intros Pro M. I know many people have trouble adjusting to drawing on the tablet and viewing it on the monitor, rather than live on the tablet, but I’ve never had that problem. I realized this is my first Bluetooth tablet, and I do prefer using it connected with USB. I read online that you can check your connection speed by holding down the option (MAC) while going to the bluetooth menu. I’m running at 53dBm, which I believe is pretty good. But I still think the stylus is more responsive with USB.
        So now, I get an iPad Air and the Apple Pencil 1st gen. and I really don’t like my Wacom anymore. I think I’m spoiled by the apple pencil!
        However, I still like painting on my desktop. I’ve got procreate, Adobe Sketch, sketchBook, but Artrage is the only app that really feels like wet paint to me. However, the brushes are so small on the iPad. I’ve asked in the forums, and yes, 100% is all the brushes are capable of unlike the desktop version where they go to 500%.
        So now I’m wondering about Astropad, so I can use the iPad and Apple pen with my desktop. Is anyone using Astropad, and has anyone had this experience going from Wacom to iPad and Apple Pencil?

I’m afraid I can’t help you there because I’m still fine with using my Wacom. I know these decisions can be hard to make.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
        Every painting is a new adventure.

floblue

Happy to hear that you got an iPad and a pencil, I’ve never used a Wacom so I’m not familiar with it. Affinity designer is another nice program for the iPad if you want to use vectors. Cheaper than illustrator. A one time purchase rather than a subscription. I’m sure you’ve already explored this but you can import and make your own brushes for Procreate. A lot of people sell brushes on line. I haven’t bought any yet but I know they are out there.

Elainepsq

I’m not a big on vector drawing, and I already get illustrator for my computer with my Creative Cloud. I prefer programs that are more like using natural materials.
                As far as the wacom, I started back in the 90’s when that was all there was. I’ve been looking at Astropad, which makes your iPad work as a tablet for the computer. I never felt like I needed a “direct to screen” drawing system, but it’s nice.
                One big discovery I did make, is that the Wacom is not as responsive on Bluetooth as it is with USB. I tested my bluetooth connection and the speed is fine, but I see a big difference when I’m not connected with USB.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.