Home Forums Explore Subjects Miniature Art What is your set-up like?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nova pictorem

Am just starting out, and was wondering how some of you manage to have/secure/turn your work in front of you.

In particular, Sue Burton’s book ‘Painting Miniatures’ she describes the way that Henry Saxon had his painting mounted upon a turntable w a ruler the you could adjust across the surface, to support the hand, enable straighter lines, etc.

Would you all mind posting pictures of the set-ups you all have devised to save time, muscular strain, etc?

I’m a woodworker (in the past), so would be able to duplicate majority of equipment if details would be available, or just a picture

Thanks in advance, David

I use my drafting table. I’ve had it for over thirty years and it’s what I’m used to. I could use a hand support, I’ve been using one of those long rice filled thingies that you heat up in the microwave for sore necks and such.

I’ve never though of using a turntable but I do have an old lazy Susan that I could take apart now that you have me thinking.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
        Find me on Instagram
        Find me on Facebook

PaintBoss

I don’t use anything for straight lines, except a clear ruler. No supports. Nothing turntable (interesting thought). I have an adjustable drafting table, but it is huge. I use a smaller desk for miniatures, smaller works. But I rarely work flat except if I am doing a big wash. Working flat will affect your perspective otherwise. Instead I use a smaller homemade drawing board that is basic and sturdy. My father in law made it in highschool for drafting class. I discovered it in his basement and cleaned it up. The angle is lovely for working at. It means I can do work in a smaller space. I love it.
            The latest helpful device I decided I needed, and was recommended by others, is magnifying lenses in a head band….the kind jewellers would use. Or crafters. We will see if that can save the eye strain working so tiny.
            I tape my work to my board lately, or if I need to turn it, I tape it to a sturdy good piece of cardboard. Overlap enough tape to hold the paper and not peel up (don’t skimp- plan for this in paper size), and carefully choose a painter’s tape you like. Some are worse than others. Sometimes I use a hairdryer. Sometimes, not. I work on 2 miniatures at a time. Especially if I am not using a hairdryer and wanting it to dry naturally. It means I can keep working and not lose the flow. It also means I won’t overwork an area I need to leave alone to dry. Hairdryers can be helpful, but some tape will leave all the sticky residue behind if you use a hairdryer. Or it will rip when pulled off. Also some frisket will stain and rip if left on too long or if heat from hairdryer is used. Some brands are bad for that. Anyways, if you tape to a good piece of cardboard cut to be a bit bigger, but not too much larger than your work(for ease of movement and reach), you just turn it as you go.:) If you use a drawing board and need to use a big wash, and your work is taped to the board, just put something under the low side of the board to temporarily raise it. Like a book.

~Christine
            🇨🇦

I lay out a page for set of ACEO paintings and work along a sheet starting with pencil sketches the working often one colour at a time. I work on the board or even on my knee.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

floblue

Doug, I like your set up. I use a clipboard or foam board and then tape my papers to it. I hand them up to dry using a clip and a push pin. I put the pins on the shelf above the desk. The pins and clips work well on the foam board pics.

Nothing special I use, mostly rolled up masking tape behind each of the 4 edges, taped to a scrap of foamcore on a drafting table. Depending on how small I’ll either sit or stand to paint.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

marksmomagain

Nothing special for me, either, other than sticking to a small tabletop easel if it is an oil painting…anything else goes to the drawing table. I don’t normally turn my drawings or paintings.

M.Brandin

All you need is a creative mess

https://www.instagram.com/brandin.miniatures/ (English)

https://brandin.fr (French)

Nova pictorem

Excellent ……miniature Currently, am delaying starting due to…..fear of screwing up.

PaintBoss

Love your honesty Nova.😁 Been there!
                                Start anyway. Only by getting into it can you have a chance of working it out. Otherwise it is mental gymnastics. (And disappointment looking at a blank canvas).:cat:

~Christine
                                🇨🇦

Dorrart

My work area looks almost exactly like M.Brandon’s. My painting flat on a white table cover brushes, palettes, paper towels, cover with colors.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

I use a big piece of paper under my painting to test colors on too.

Nova, don’t be afraid! I love seeing what people do when they start, you will be amazed at how quickly you progress once you jump in and do it. I find new artists so inspirational. It’s so cool to see someone take those first steps.

You could try one of the pictures in the monthly challenge, that’s always a good stepping off point.

Find me on Instagram
                                    Find me on Facebook

By the way I forgot to tell you, I used the lazy Susan (wooden turntable) for carving a mini linocut. It worked so well! Thanks for that idea!

Find me on Instagram
                                    Find me on Facebook

M.Brandin

Just be aware of dust when you work on smooth support-miniature is supposed to be seen with a magifying glass- bread crumbs and hair are not part of the program.

https://www.instagram.com/brandin.miniatures/ (English)

https://brandin.fr (French)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.