WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Re: Least favorite color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin_0
just FYI, there is 2 version of cobalt turquoise... one that is made from PB28 (cobalt blue) and the other is made from PG50 (cobalt green).

so before getting a cobalt turquoise, you need to decide if you want a blue leaning turquoise or a green leaning turquoise.

Ahha! Thanks!

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfinger
That might be because the mayan colours have only been allocated CI numbers fairly recently. The tube you have could have been manufactured before the number was assigned to that particular mayan blue.
I'm currently in the process of playing with (evaluating, whatever you want to call it) 6 different mayan colours - 2 blues, yellow, violet, red and a green in acrylic. The green has not been assigned a colour index number yet but it is still a mayan colour, made by the same processes. Hopefully the manufacturer of the tube you have now publish the CI number in their info. This is also a pet annoyance of mine - don't get me started on "Cadmium Free"!!!

Let us know what you think of that - I debated buying that set, and might still do so one day soon. The swatches I've seen of the colors always look interesting.

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Phthalo pigments and Dioxazine Purple have their place, but not on my palette at the moment. I just find them too aggressive.

Not a huge fan of Daniel Smith's Potter's Pink, Mayan Blue Genuine, Lapis Lazuli Genuine, or Winsor Newton's Davy's Gray and Terre Vert. They just seem...sticky. Also Daniel Smith's Cobalt Green Pale and Smalt Genuine behave a bit gummy, as well. DS Lunar Black was also somewhat of a disappointment, as it's soooo gritty I have to really be careful with it. Maybe with more experience with it I'll change my mind...

And although I find Aureolin (PY40) and Opera (PR122+BV10) to be lovely colors, I wish manufacturers would be more forthright in telling artists how terribly those pigments can fade over time. Ooof.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Lady
Let us know what you think of that - I debated buying that set, and might still do so one day soon. The swatches I've seen of the colors always look interesting.

Will do. So far (and I haven't got very far due to constant interruptions), I like them. Very natural looking colours, easily controlled and tint out nicely with some lovely undertones.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender Grey

And although I find Aureolin (PY40) and Opera (PR122+BV10) to be lovely colors, I wish manufacturers would be more forthright in telling artists how terribly those pigments can fade over time. Ooof.

well, I dont think there is any problem using Opera... it just turn back into Quin Magenta overtime... it's not like it'll completely lose it's color like Alizarin Crimson which most people still using oddly enough..
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM

Cobalt Green. It's the color of dead pond scum.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Vorpal -- Cobalt green = Pond scum? Now that you mention it, it kinda does....!

Calvin -- Yes, it's true about Opera fading and just leaving the Quin Magenta. So what I wanna know is, why don't they just market Quin Magenta by itself? It's so odd to me, that manufacturers would knowingly add a dye that will fade as quickly as a neon post-it note.

As for the whole Alizarin Crimson thing: I don't get that, either. But maybe that's because I've never painted with the original (PR83). Does it handle much differently from "Permanent Alizarin Crimson" formulations?
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Not just any pond scum...dead pond scum!
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Lady
I think I need a tube of cobalt turquoise! What brand did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin_0
just FYI, there is 2 version of cobalt turquoise... one that is made from PB28 (cobalt blue) and the other is made from PG50 (cobalt green).

In my (admittedly rather blotchy) (recently shared, above) painting, I THINK that the Cobalt Green Turquoise Teal Blue Or Whatnot in particular that I used was probably (1) "Cobalt Teal" PG50 (presumably blue shade, not yellow shade, but not labeled as such) by QoR. However, it MIGHT have been either of (2) "Cobalt Turquoise" PB36 by Grumbacher artist's aquarelles or (3) "Cobalt Turquoise Deep" PB36 by da Vinci permanent artists'. Just by looking at the hue I'm becoming pretty sure it's (1).

And since we're on the subject of these cool cobalt paints ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal
(least favorite color is ...) Cobalt Green. It's the color of dead pond scum.

Which Pigment are you referring to here? I can (almost) agree with you if you mean PG50 yellow shade, a tube of which I own by (4) Holbein artist's.

Among all of my cool cobalt paints (1, 2, 3, and 4) above, I'd say the PIGMENT and hue in (1) is most appealing to me, but I don't like the excess zeal with which QoR's paints overtake the whole page, so that's not my favorite of the four PAINTS, due to my own (and not the manufacturer's) unreliability (I do find the manufacture of QoR paints to be quite reliable).

Why am I unreliable about QoR? The Aquazol (rather than Gum Arabic) medium which QoR uses is beginning to turn me off. It's out of the norm relative to most other brands of watercolor, IMO. Aquazol is of course a perfectly valid and useful concoction in all its intended particulars and works quite reliably in all of QoR's paints (that I've ever tried), so I certainly wouldn't say that it's inappropriate. It's just different. It is (deliberately, I assume) engineered to disperse to a great extent, more so than what I experience with most other manufacturer's paints which are generally based on traditional Gum Arabic. Especially with heavier pigments (as the cobalt in question), Aquazol's rapid early dispersal, behavior derived of the medium's characteristics rather than of the pigment's characteristics, can readily confuse me. That's because, I suppose, I tend to assume the pigment will be in charge, and I'm usually aware that heavier pigments would tend to disperse slowly. Therefore, unless I would have happened to have recalled that I had been using a QoR paint at the moment during which it might have first hit the page, then it could have surprised me with how zealously it might have moved. (Subjunctive, anyone?) And as you see, above, even in this specific instance, I don't recall whether I was using a QoR paint! Consequently, for my purposes, QoR could have been unpredictable to me, due to my own absent memory, and therefore I should not have relied on it. Q.E.D..

In defense of Aquazol, I'd suggest that it's possible that this particular pigment-overtaking medium might make all of the manufacturer's paints more, rather than less, predictable, since all of them may disperse to the extent of Aquazol's singular power rather than to the varied extents of each of the varied pigments' powers. Thus, there might be the major advantage of brand-wide dispersal predictability, in QoR's choice of a rather overpoweringly dispersing medium. Is that what they were deliberately seeking? No idea ...

Last edited by cliftonprince : 09-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.