WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Re: How to teach art to kids under 8

You really need both. I teach my students that instructed practice and loose free flowing creativity are equally valued and so important. I spend the first part of the class with brief time of specific instruction for skill building. I try to keep this down to 10 -15 minutes. I tell them we are going to work really hard during that time and then we will move into "artistic license" time. Where they apply what they learned in the skill set to their creativity.

A young child can actually do some amazing work with some solid skills under their belt and often take to concepts more readily than adults.

Having said that the students I get are those who are already very interested in art. They love seeing their work look mature. If you had a class of children who are in a class room and it it "art time" you have a whole different situation.

Recently I entered samples of my student's work in a local youth fair. Most of the other art was from school classrooms. One of my students proudly commented how our art looks really different. My student's art looked more skilled.

If I demo in front of them it will be with more of a thumb nail mentality and I will talk out loud saying hmmm I like that, but don't like that, or now I know to do that different. In other words I show them that starting with a rough practice is what good artists do and every piece is a chance to learn what works and doesn't work for them. I have had student critique a piece I am working on and they are spot on. Yes, I am talking young students.

We also learn about presentation choosing real cut mats so their art is ready to take home to be frame and hung in their gallery. Parents are encouraged to have a gallery space somewhere in the main living area.

I think you have to evaluate the situation you are working in. Also, parents are not paying me to let the children free flow create. They are already doing that at home. I always encourage the students that both is vital but in class we are working on skill building.

Last edited by Daisygirl : 10-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 AM
India

Hails from India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisygirl
You really need both. I teach my students that instructed practice and loose free flowing creativity are equally valued and so important. I spend the first part of the class with brief time of specific instruction for skill building. I try to keep this down to 10 -15 minutes. I tell them we are going to work really hard during that time and then we will move into "artistic license" time. Where they apply what they learned in the skill set to their creativity.

A young child can actually do some amazing work with some solid skills under their belt and often take to concepts more readily than adults.

Having said that the students I get are those who are already very interested in art. They love seeing their work look mature. If you had a class of children who are in a class room and it it "art time" you have a whole different situation.

Recently I entered samples of my student's work in a local youth fair. Most of the other art was from school classrooms. One of my students proudly commented how our art looks really different. My student's art looked more skilled.

If I demo in front of them it will be with more of a thumb nail mentality and I will talk out loud saying hmmm I like that, but don't like that, or now I know to do that different. In other words I show them that starting with a rough practice is what good artists do and every piece is a chance to learn what works and doesn't work for them. I have had student critique a piece I am working on and they are spot on. Yes, I am talking young students.

We also learn about presentation choosing real cut mats so their art is ready to take home to be frame and hung in their gallery. Parents are encouraged to have a gallery space somewhere in the main living area.

I think you have to evaluate the situation you are working in. Also, parents are not paying me to let the children free flow create. They are already doing that at home. I always encourage the students that both is vital but in class we are working on skill building.

Would love to see their artworks on littlesketchers too! Do stop by!
Wish more kids could access such ways of learning art. It's always inspiring to see how kids draw and paint. I enjoy watching my son and his friends doodle and draw. There is a special air around them when they are in this state!!

C
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from United Kingdom

My 8 year old did this.

I framed it.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM

This is really a nice painting. If you would tell us more about this students work. How they are being taught etc.

Thanks for sharing.
Sue
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Of course! Sorry.

ok, I bought my son one of those Bob Ross painting kits. It's wet on wet. My son painted along at a very slow pace. When I say slow pace he spent about 2 hours doing it, which is Bo b Ross terms is slow. It was his second painting on canvas. Bob is a great teacher. Be sure to get a laptop and a messy shed they can work in. You'll need something Bob refers to as liquid white. Just teach them to watch the dvd and go real slow and press pause a lot fo the time. It is a copycat way of getting them to learn however it is great way to get their confidence going. Furthermore I actually foiund my sons lack of detail more appealing than what Bob Ross does. So we framed and hung it. Since then he did another one which he hasn't had time to finish off yet. This was done in about 2 hours. I tend to leave him on his own. What I dont do is paint for him. It's all his own work.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Brighton, MI

Hails from United States

I really like using this website for inspiration and teaching ideas for elementary/middle school age children: http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 AM
Copenhagen

Hails from Denmark

Children are happy to learn the right techniques. Therefore, a part of my education is to give children a wonderful sense of having learned something important. Another part of my teaching is to I sit down to play as a child with them. This means that we experiment together. They find they are in many ways much better than me and I then put their skills into perspective by developing it further with the kids. In this way they experience that what comes easy flowing from them is valuable and also how to work further on this which only an adult with years of experience know.

on my website I try to collect and show simple but very useful tools and techniques:
http://sensuallogic.com/painters-tools/index.html

Last edited by Christian Skeel : 06-23-2014 at 03:46 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2014, 12:07 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

My wife and I homeschool our (now) 8 year old son. Since we put together our own curriculum each year, last year for art we were pulling from Memoria Press' art materials and using the How Great Thou Art book (though my son didn't think the book was interesting enough. This year we are going to be using "Creating A Masterpiece" by artist / teacher Sharon Hofer. We found out about her at the Great Homeschool Convention this past spring in Cincinnati, OH. She's VERY nice to talk to, and I found her to be sincere. She was almost at tears talking about how she just loves seeing children (and adults) light up when they have learned how to draw and paint something that they can be proud of creating. I just love her approach to teaching art. So gentle, and explains things clearly and calmly. In her convention booth she had two easels set up and random children would walk up, she'd restart the movie teaching how to create a painting in pastels. These children would grab broken pieces of pastel, and following along with her (and using their own artistic license) they'd complete these beautiful paintings of birds and butterflies. Not refrigerator art at all! I was specifically looking for instruction in oil painting, and while she does not offer that at the moment she did say that she will offering it in the next year. Her website is at:

http://www.creatingamasterpiece.com/index.php

My Instagram -> kristynagel72
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Great old thread! My advice is to go to a Waldorf elementary school open house to see how art is being taught there. Here's an article.