Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Color Mixing for Portraiture by Sanden

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    budigart

I would like to buy or rent this video (DVD): Color Mixing for Portraiture by John Howard Sande.

Do you know of a sale/rental source, or if you own a copy, would you rent or loan it to me for a few days?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Humbaba

Hi,

I do not own this video, but you can find the information you are looking for in his book called “Portraits from Life in 29 Steps “. There are used copies at amazon.com

The book describes a series of premix colors to paint portraits, the idea is to mix the colors combinations before you start painting, with the option of storing them in tubes.

budigart

I found my copy of this art instruction video. For what it’s worth, this is the best one that deals with pre-mixing colors for portraiture. I have studied and found several artists who use a pre-mix method, and Sanden’s is good in that it uses only 10 tones as his base, from which he gives instructions for mixing 78 colors from this base of 10 colors.

Another thing I like about the video is that you can watch him mix the colors, and watch him put them to use. It simplifies the painting process considerably.

Pinguino

You can purchase Sanden’s portrait colors pre-mixed in tubes. For example, see here[/URL].

budigart

Yes, I know his colors can be purchased in a set. Thanks. I bought a set some years ago and did not like their consistency. They felt “gritty,” like there was sand in them.

Besides, over time I have found my own way to mix my own Sanden colors for less money and fewer paints colors. If anyone wants my recipe for his colors, I’d be happy to send.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.