Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Composition and perspective question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    NanJoSimp

I have a project in mind….but I really cant draw (although I can paint decently)….so I have to search for images.
        Project: 3 houses — neighborhood street view….I think that the center house wouldn’t show the sides (front view only) but the house on either side, the sides will show—would that be correct? Any suggestions on how to draw this and have the houses with the correct perspective?

Thanks!
        Nancy

You would see the sides nearest your Centreline on the outside houses.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Anonymous

Hi :)
            How to draw this in correct perspective? That is too abstract a question.

Either show us a thumbnail sketch so that we can indicate where to correct.
            Or learn the principles of perspective, you don’t need much theory for a house.
            See for example class 2 in the D&S classroom.

:wave:

NanJoSimp

You would see the sides nearest your Centreline on the outside houses.

Doug

Thank you…that is very helpful

zhm

You should research one point perspective, if I am envisioning your composition correctly; and yes, in one point you would not see the sides of a box directly in front of you but would see the front and a side of the adjacent boxes. If you need more info just holler.

NanJoSimp

You should research one point perspective, if I am envisioning your composition correctly; and yes, in one point you would not see the sides of a box directly in front of you but would see the front and a side of the adjacent boxes. If you need more info just holler.

Thank you….I did watch a couple of videos and even practiced it….getting better
                        I’ll post the “finished” painting in a post below. Not totally pleased with it, so I’ve put it away for now

NanJoSimp

This is the completed (or not) painting that I had asked the composition question for….I’ve put it away for now as just not pleased with it … C&C welcome

zhm

If the house fronts are parallel to the street and not on a semi circle like the way you have them painted, then line them up as shown.

virgil carter

Just a suggestion: a landscape which uses only a 1-point perspective results in a very artificial view.

A 2-point perspective would be much more realistic.

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil Carter
                                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

NanJoSimp

Yes, they should look parallel to the street
                                        thanks

If the house fronts are parallel to the street and not on a semi circle like the way you have them painted, then line them up as shown.

NanJoSimp

Virgil: Thanks..yes, I studied 2 point perspective as well….just not enough to accomplish what was in my mind :)

virgil carter

A two point perspective of a subject similar to yours:

I know this is a different composition, but my point is that a two-point perspective is more realistic when the view is of several important objects.

One-point perspectives are perhaps best when the view is intended to be very directional and focused on one major element of the painting:

Hope this is helpful. Paint on!

Sling paint,
                                                Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                Virgil Carter
                                                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

NanJoSimp

Virgil: Yes, thank you, that is helpful

KolinskyRed

Great painting, Nancy. Just a few tweaks in the design might help, and yes, one-point perspective will work great for this.

Secret of great perspective? Many, but here’s one: One-point Perspective applies to one “volume” or “shape”. This means an artist/designer can apply a one-point perspective vanishing point as many times as s/he would wish in the same drawing. For example, three Buildings? We could, if it helps, use three vanishing points, one per building, each one a one-point perspective.

That could work here – three points across the same horizon line, one for each house all in one point perspective.

But I’ve stuck to a single vanishing point at the centre (shown here) for the three houses. Then I raised the vanishing point/horizon line up (vp not shown in sketch) just a titch as I drew the roof top lines/gutters for the houses on left and on the right. Then I raised the vanishing point/ horizon line up (vp not shown in sketch) just a titch more to rough in the paths. Do the lines precisely meet for the paths, no but I think it works.

Being respectful of your design, here’s a rough thumbnail sketch to illustrate how this might work:

Minor detail. I think I sketched the centre box a little narrow compared to your design.

Hope this helps in using one-point perspective. Cheers!

NanJoSimp

WOW! that is so helpful. I am humbled that you went to so much trouble to help me — I am encouraged to improve it or to start a new….Very very much appreciate your help.

Great painting, Nancy. Just a few tweaks in the design might help, and yes, one-point perspective will work great for this.

Secret of great perspective? Many, but here’s one: One-point Perspective applies to one “volume” or “shape”. This means an artist/designer can apply a one-point perspective (one vanishing point) as many times as s/he would wish. For example, three Buildings? We could, if it helps, use three vanishing points, one per building, each one a one -point perspective.

That could work here, but I’ve stuck to a single vanishing point. Being respective of your design, here’s a thumbnail sketch to illustrate:

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Feb-2019/1088132-three_houses_001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Feb-2019/1088132-three_houses_002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/25-Feb-2019/1088132-three_houses_003.jpg[/IMG]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.