Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum First WSO experience using Weber w-oils..I have questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Millerhill

My wife is a great painter and usually paints acrylics. She wanted to get back into oils after a long hiatus and I suggested she try WSO’s. She got a bunch of Weber paints and not long after starting, she decided it wasn’t for her. I’ve been painting off and on for a couple of Vermont Winters. Started with gouache, then tried casein, then acrylic “gouache” and now had the hots to try WSO’s. Man….what a world of difference from acrylics and for me, not in a good way. BTW, I’m painting on gessoboard which has a very slick surface.

My first issue is with thinning the paint. It’s very stiff coming out of the tube and because I paint rather small paintings, I need the paint to be the consistency of cream not Greek yogurt! Yes I read a billion threads about thinning WSO’s but they’re all over the place and far from conclusive. It says right on the paint tube “Thin with water”, but I see too many folks say using water is a no-no.

Many say water is fine as a thinner.
        Many say to use Walnut oil or Alkyd Walnut oil.
        Many say use other mediums like linseed oil
        Many say use a drying medium.
        Many say use Liquin and forget about the water all together.

I purchased the w-oil linseed oil and the drying medium, so have the ability to use them to loosen up the paint.

I just went to clean up my brush after doing an underpainting and it wouldn’t clean up in water after I added some of the drying medium to the paint. I had to use turps to get it clean which kinda defeats the whole purpose of WSO’s right?

I want to give this a real go and finish a painting, but not sure I can put up with this paint.

Can I get some hints about work flow using what I have? I don’t want to buy anything else until I get this figured out.

Thanks!

Steve

Skip the turps for cleaning brushes!

Wipe the paint out with Spectrum walnut oil (grocery store and NOT for painting, just cleaning) and then wash with water and dish soap/bar soap. My method for 20+ years and my old brushes look like my new ones. I never leave my brushes to soak in any liquids.

Wishing you the best in painting :thumbsup:

Angel :angel:
        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Don Ketchek

I’m not familiar with the Weber WMOs and really haven’t seen many comments about them. I would recommend the Cobra brand or Holbein – their consistency (at least to me) is not as stiff as some other brands. Each brand is somewhat different.

I would seriously stop reading comments (this thread aside) on the internet. Their is no place with more misinformation and contradictory comments than the internet! You just have to try it out for yourself to learn what works and what doesn’t. I have always thinned with water with the Cobras with no issues. The one brand that I know had problems thinning with water was W&N Artisan. They eventually developed a thinner to use with their WMOs. Thinning with water is NOT the same as thinning with water when using acrylics or watercolor. You can’t thin the paint to a wash consistency. I rinse my brushes while painting with water. To thin the paint, I just dip my brush into the water jar and then go to my paint pile. Most folks will use a medium with oil to thin the paint, especially after the initial layer, and as you mention, most brands will sell their own mediums. You can also use 100% oil (linseed, walnut or safflower are sold by many WMO brands as well) to thin the paint, but it must be used sparingly. Using 100% oil is the easiest way to avoid solvents.

To clean your brushes after painting, you definitely don’t need any solvent – just soap and water. Over the years, I have found that Masters Brush cleaner as the best soap to use. Sometimes brushes seem dirty when they are not as some pigments will stain the brush. That stain will remain, but the brush will still be clean.

Good luck!

Don

Millerhill

Hi Angel. Thanks so much for your response!

So clean up with store bought walnut oil. That’s good to know.

But what do you do for color changes while you’re painting? Would it make sense to get a bottle of M Graham walnut oil and use that as thinner, color change medium and clean up as well?

Steve

Millerhill

Hi Don,

Guess we’ll see if Jerry’s will take back the Weber oils and go from there. We live in the boonies in VT so no art stores within a 1.5 hr drive.

I have a small test set of Holbein duo paint. Maybe I’ll give that a go and see what’s up, but first I’ll have try the webers with just water and go from there.

Edit: I just tried the duo and it mixes beautifully with water, but still won’t clean out totally with water to do a color change SO how do you manage color changes while painting?

Best,
                    Steve

Don Ketchek

Hi Don,

Guess we’ll see if Jerry’s will take back the Weber oils and go from there. We live in the boonies in VT so no art stores within a 1.5 hr drive.

I have a small test set of Holbein duo paint. Maybe I’ll give that a go and see what’s up, but first I’ll have try the webers with just water and go from there.

Edit: I just tried the duo and it mixes beautifully with water, but still won’t clean out totally with water to do a color change SO how do you manage color changes while painting?

Best,
                        Steve

I guess each oil painter has there own level of comfort when cleaning out brushes while painting. I just swish my brush in a can of water. Is it totally clean? I guess I am not sure – nor do I care particularly. When I paint in oils, I often just wipe the brush on a paper towel to clean. So is there some paint on the brush – yes. Again, to some oil painters this isn’t an issue. if a brush becomes too dirty, then a new brush is used. Often, oil painters will use one brush for lights, one for darks, and when those get dirty, get more brushes. 6 or more brushes would be the norm for me whenever I paint in oils.

Don

Gigalot

For underlayers you can try acrylic. Dilute this acrylic with water. Use oil paint diluted with linseed oil medium to paint over. :)

Millerhill

Using acrylics and gouache up until now, I was unaware of the work flow of a “typical” oil painter. Sounds like the key to my issues is to use a higher quality of paint like the Duo or Cobra paints and get some more brushes to use with lights and darks and don’t sweat the fact that they aren’t perfectly clean and shiny new when I switch colors.

On a side note Jerry’s was kind enough to send me a shipping label to pay for the shipping back to them and although I purchased the paints back in September, it appears that they are going to give me a store credit for them. We’ll see how that works out.

Thanks all for your input. My wife says “Would you just pick up a brush and paint! You spend too much time thinking about it!” I think she may have a point ;)

Michael Lion

The rules of water mixable oil painting are:

1. Use a jar of water to clean the brushes while you are painting
                                    2. Clean brushes afterwards with dish detergent or soap and water.
                                    3. Never add just a little bit of water to oil paints. Only use the water-mixable linseed oil that the manufacturer of the paints sells to thin paints. (But it’s OK to use a lot of water to do a wash or to paint an underlayer of thin color.)
                                    4. Water-mixable fast-drying mediums suck, so don’t bother.
                                    5. After you immerse a hog bristle brush into water, that brush sucks until all of the water dries. So either keep a bunch of hog bristles on hand because you can’t clean them while you’re painting, or learn to like synthetic brushes.

That’s it.

Also, the only brands I can comment on are that Holben Duo are great and the W&N Artisan suck in comparison. That’s all I know about brands. The Weber paints could be fine, or not, I don’t know. (Although based on the color swatch photos at the Blick website, they look like student-quality paints, which would explain why the price is so cheap.)

As far as walnut oil goes: NO NO NO NO!!!!! That’s a regular oil that will make your water-mixable oil paints no longer water-mixable. It’s just plain stupid. Who is dishing out such stupid and wrong advice?

Millerhill

Thanks for that. I sent the Weber paints back to Jerry’s. I’m now using a small set of starter Duo’s that seem to be working well, and clean up nicely for quick color changes as well as final cleaning with dish detergent. I have some of the duo medium on the way and will stay clear of the drying medium. I have the first layer of duo on a painting now that I underpainted with a lighter wash so we’ll see how that goes. Probably be another couple of weeks before it’s complete. Thanks for your response! Steve

Don Ketchek

The rules of water mixable oil painting are:

1. Use a jar of water to clean the brushes while you are painting
                                            2. Clean brushes afterwards with dish detergent or soap and water.
                                            3. Never add just a little bit of water to oil paints. Only use the water-mixable linseed oil that the manufacturer of the paints sells to thin paints. (But it’s OK to use a lot of water to do a wash or to paint an underlayer of thin color.)
                                            4. Water-mixable fast-drying mediums suck, so don’t bother.
                                            5. After you immerse a hog bristle brush into water, that brush sucks until all of the water dries. So either keep a bunch of hog bristles on hand because you can’t clean them while you’re painting, or learn to like synthetic brushes.

That’s it.

Also, the only brands I can comment on are that Holben Duo are great and the W&N Artisan suck in comparison. That’s all I know about brands. The Weber paints could be fine, or not, I don’t know. (Although based on the color swatch photos at the Blick website, they look like student-quality paints, which would explain why the price is so cheap.)

As far as walnut oil goes: NO NO NO NO!!!!! That’s a regular oil that will make your water-mixable oil paints no longer water-mixable. It’s just plain stupid. Who is dishing out such stupid and wrong advice?

You can use a non WMO medium (such as non-WMO Walnut oil, Linseed oil, etc.) and even traditional oils mixed in with your WMOs. While I am not sure about all brands, many brands say you can mix traditional oil materials with WMOs as long as your amount of traditional is less than about 25-30% compared to the amount of WMOs.

The reason that folks are dishing out “such stupid and wrong advice” is that they have used walnut oil or other non-WMO materials with great success and with no problems. I am currently using Gamblin’s Solvent free gel with my WMOs with no problems whatsoever. Yes, it does make it harder to clean the brushes, but they still clean up with Master’s Brush cleaner and water. If you are using a non-WMO material, keep the amount small. Folks who use these non-WMO mediums or paints are not also mixing with water.

As for “Rule” no. 3 – Just wondering why you would have trouble adding a little bit of water, but have no problem with a lot of water? A small amount of additive (whatever you are adding to your paint) is always recommended rather than a lot. The only time it is OK to add enough solvent (water, in this case) is in an initial wash. An initial wash becomes absorbed into the ground and is not really an independent paint layer. Otherwise, it is never advisable (although, yes, folks do it) to thin your paint to a wash-like consistency with a solvent as you risk under-binding the paint.

Don

Michael Lion

You can use a non WMO medium (such as non-WMO Walnut oil, Linseed oil, etc.) and even traditional oils mixed in with your WMOs. While I am not sure about all brands, many brands say you can mix traditional oil materials with WMOs as long as your amount of traditional is less than about 25-30% compared to the amount of WMOs.

The reason that folks are dishing out “such stupid and wrong advice” is that they have used walnut oil or other non-WMO materials with great success and with no problems. I am currently using Gamblin’s Solvent free gel with my WMOs with no problems whatsoever. Yes, it does make it harder to clean the brushes, but they still clean up with Master’s Brush cleaner and water. If you are using a non-WMO material, keep the amount small. Folks who use these non-WMO mediums or paints are not also mixing with water.

As for “Rule” no. 3 – Just wondering why you would have trouble adding a little bit of water, but have no problem with a lot of water? A small amount of additive (whatever you are adding to your paint) is always recommended rather than a lot. The only time it is OK to add enough solvent (water, in this case) is in an initial wash. An initial wash becomes absorbed into the ground and is not really an independent paint layer. Otherwise, it is never advisable (although, yes, folks do it) to thin your paint to a wash-like consistency with a solvent as you risk under-binding the paint.

Don

There’s no reason to use regular oil when there’s water mixable oil that will come right off your brush with water, that’s the whole purpose of using water mixable oils in the first place.

W&N sells a water-mixable safflower if you want a lighter oil than linseed, although the Holbein Duo linseed is pretty light and thin for linseed, it works really well. Holbeins come out of the tube pretty thick, so you usually need to add a little bit of oil to make it spreadable.

A little bit of water doesn’t mix in well with the paint, tends to make it sticky rather then buttery, and makes the paint lighter (because emulsions are milky) until it evaporates. If you try to use water the way you’d use “turps” with regular oils, it just won’t work well and you will blame the paints, when in fact the real source of blame is not following the rules for water-mixable oil paint.

Anonymous

Don is correct, I have also used regular walnut oil too, and linseed, without any water solubility issues, only using an excessive amount will reduce solubility.
                                                    The reason I used walnut is because it worked so darn good.

francjs

I have played around shortly with WMOs, Cobra brand, so I have very little experience. But for what it’s worth, I also did not like them much. I found them too stiff, not as easy to thin as acrylics, and harder to spread over the canvas. Also, the paints tended to become tacky on the palette and on the canvas.

Overall, I simply find acrylics more fluid and much more pleasant to use.

Regarding Walnut oil, Will Kemp uses it in a video where he compares oils to WMOs (http://willkempartschool.com/water-mixable-oils-vs-traditional-oils-for-solvent-free-oil-painting/).

The info that comes with the paints says you can mix with normal oils, or oil medium, up to a certain percentage without losing their water mixability. According to Will Kemp, because you need little oil (if using walnut) to thin the paints, you remain under that threshold. Seems to make sense.

Don Ketchek

I have played around shortly with WMOs, Cobra brand, so I have very little experience. But for what it’s worth, I also did not like them much. I found them too stiff, not as easy to thin as acrylics, and harder to spread over the canvas. Also, the paints tended to become tacky on the palette and on the canvas.

Overall, I simply find acrylics more fluid and much more pleasant to use.

Yes, Oil paints are thicker, stickier and considerably different than acrylics. WMO oils are still oil paints and have really no similarities to acrylics – aside from the ability to use water with them. Cobras, in my opinion, are actually one of the thinner brands. Most are even thicker from the tube, although the differences are minor in comparison the the variation in different types of acrylics.

Don

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.