Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Research for project

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    svrart

Hi,

Long time no see. This site has slowed down a lot!

Anyhoo, recently I am working on a tech project. Looking to collect some information to set the direction.

It will be a website that lets users find neighbors, events and businesses near them. Think, cross between Yelp and Nextdoor.

Application one we are considering is for events such as art walks that are spread out over a few city blocks or larger. When an art patron is near an aritst’s space, he/she could use the website and immediately be shown the links of all participating artists nearby. There, the patron can look at additional work, philosophy behind the artwork, accolades….

Application two is where artists register their studios with the website and when a visitor chooses ‘Artists’ as a filter, all artists near their area pop up.

Would any of these two applications be of interest for artists / art organizers / art patrons?

Please provide feedback :-)

Sridhar - Inventor of Polyart - artwork using polymers svrart.com

Use Her Name

Other than most artists don’t want pop-in visitors? Maybe? I think that is why galleries exist, so artists do not need to run their places like shops. I also would think that this would be dangerous if your studio was also your home. You would not want your home to be invaded by “patrons.” And someone might be stalking you as well. Someone might also be a robber or art thief. Sorry, but I do not think it is a great idea. I do think that one of the things that is prominent about on-line life is that no one knows where your “house” is, or your actual physical presence. Maybe you should re-think this? Maybe you are just describing it badly?

Many artists are also highly private people when they work. You see them at gallery openings and so on because that is part of the scene. They do not hang out there if the show is not going on or if their presence is not required by management. Interruptions by the general public would be highly unwelcomed and would actually harm the art-making process.

I really am not trying to put your idea down, but many artists have “home offices” and studios that are basically garages, or attached buildings. On the other side of the door is their house, their family, their children, their pets. I actually think that the majority of artists do not have a separate studio downtown or whatever way you are imagining it. The house/studio combination allows the artist to work when he likes, and to be near his artwork if he comes up with an idea. The whole idea of “Artist Lofts” is that of living in close proximity to your artwork. The artist generally may have small parties or gatherings at his or her place and then show off the recent work to selected patrons, but the idea of random “patrons” going to your place of business/home really would make this project a no-go. (A personal opinion– but that is what you asked for).

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Harold Roth

Yep, I agree with Use that most artists do not have open studios, or have them only at very particular times, like once a month on a First Friday. Maybe that second application would work for people who do have open studios on First Friday or whatever they call it in a particular city.

I think application one is more likely to get artists applying, because they will be at the art fair to sell. But I am not so sure how many people who buy art at an art fair/festival actually have a particular artist in mind. I think it’s more like an impulse buy and that’s why generally art sold at these things tends to be smaller and less expensive. Are people who buy that kind of art going to use an app to find artists? Only thing I can think of is to put jpgs of the artists’ work into the app so people could shop by image.

svrart

Hi Katy,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am very aware of the privacy issue. Its up to the artist to decide what to put and not put on the links. No bikini shots with phone number and street address :-)

The location can also be approximate. The privacy can be set to open, none or registered users only.

As artists, I am thinking mainly the focus is on resume and images. As an artist myself, I am quite comfortable putting a photo of myself and images of my artwork along with a telephone number and ‘leave me a message’ kind of form.

I do appreciate your input though as it lets us focus correctly.

Regards.

svrart

Hi Harold,

Thanks for your input. One of the advantages of the app approach is convenience. Say, the artist is not there or the walk has just closed or the patron just doesnt like to talk.

The main idea IS to put the art images and resume on the links.

Your reply has given me a few ideas :-). Thanks.

RihanaR

Good luck with your research. Personally I’m also working on an interesting project on American identity (luckily found samples online https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/american-identity/ ). American identity is based on our founding ideals — universal principles of equality and liberty.  So I’m trying to develop a topic on this principle

Edward Clowes

thank you for this topic

UltraStyle

Both applications don’t seem to bad.

I make websites. Contact me for more info http://thewebdesignhut.com

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.