Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing New Color Wheel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Daroc

Hi.

Anybody have been using this? If so does it workout better for not making mud? If you haven’t heard of it yet google it.

WFMartin

Hi.

Anybody have been using this? If so does it workout better for not making mud? If you haven’t heard of it yet google it.

Well, it is actually known as, “The Real Color Wheel”, as presented by Don Jusko. When I was teaching a class in oil painting at a local recreation center, I used to provide each of my students with the address of this color wheel, so they could print out their own, if they wished. I consider it to be one of the only, scientific, color wheels that exists.

Because it actually includes the colors, Cyan, and Magenta, which most other color wheels don’t, and it aligns those colors opposite their true complementary colors, that makes it one of the most ACCURATE color wheels from a scientific, and mixing standpoint, although the “Blue” that lies opposite primary Yellow misses the mark, by a bit.

Cyan , and Magenta are two of the primary colors, and since most color wheels don’t even have those two colors represented on it, that makes those color wheels nearly useless, as actual tools, whereas Don Jusko’s Real Color Wheel can actually be used to predict resulting colors from mixtures of the other colors represented on it.

Primary colors are unique, and they exhibit characteristics that other colors don’t. With primary colors on the color wheel, it becomes useful as a true tool, rather than merely being a pretty array of colors that one can hang on their wall, to create the impression that one is an “artist”.:lol:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Pinguino

As is well-known those those who know things well, physical paint pigments are not mathematically ideal colors. The way they mix is only approximated by any kind of color wheel. Some are better than others.

Patrick1

If avoiding mud is the goal, doing the initial stages/underpainting using highly pigmented transparent colors over white, rather than using opaque ones (or adding white), might be a big part of the solution. But (a lot of people will disagree) mud is not about color, it’s sloppy brushwork.

Don’s Real Color Wheel is a tool designed for a purpose. A lot of hues are intentionally shifted as they darken (especially the way he darkens yellows to browns). It’s up to you to determine if this is a useful attribute or not.

Daroc

If avoiding mud is the goal, doing the initial stages/underpainting using highly pigmented transparent colors over white, rather than using opaque ones (or adding white), might be a big part of the solution. But (a lot of people will disagree) mud is not about color, it’s sloppy brushwork.

Don’s Real Color Wheel is a tool designed for a purpose. A lot of hues are intentionally shifted as they darken (especially the way he darkens yellows to browns). It’s up to you to determine if this is a useful attribute or not.

Hi,

I like this response, it applies more to the reason I posted the question.

Thank you

bongo

Don Jusko is quite a character and a real American hero imo. He did fly-overs of Cuba during the cold war and identified secret Rusian missile bases that brought us to the edge of WWIII.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                            STUDIOBONGO

Patrick1

Don used to post here in Color Theory many years ago…I wish he would again.

WFMartin

Long story, short: Mixing pairs of primary colors creates secondary colors. (Primary colors of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, create Red, Green, and Blue, when mixed with each other.) . NO MUD.

Mixing a secondary color with each of its adjacent primary, creates tertiary colors. (Green, a secondary, when mixed with Yellow, a primary, creates “Yellow-Green”. Mixing Red (a secondary, with Yellow, a primary, creates Orange). Again, NO MUD.

Mixing pairs of secondaries together, creates “mud”, which is really a profoundly grayed version of the color you may have been hoping to achieve. For example, the combination of Blue, and Red will result in a very dirty, grayed, ….yes, “muddy” version of the color you were hoping to achieve–Purple. MUD. Wanna’ get “Purple”? Then, mix one secondary with its nearest primary…..namely Blue with Magenta. Result: Clean “Purple”, NO MUD.

Difficult to mix appropriately clean colors without understanding the behavior, and unique characteristics of primary colors. Don Jusko understands this, and he built his color wheel with that in mind. As I mentioned, his “Real Color Wheel” is the only one I’ve found that actually included the primary colors, Cyan, and Magenta. (Mighty difficult to determine what colors can be created by those colors if they don’t even exist on the commercially prepared color wheel.):) :)

Patrick1

As I mentioned, his “Real Color Wheel” is the only one I’ve found that actually included the primary colors, Cyan, and Magenta.

There are a few. I personally like thinking within a color framework that includes cyan and magenta, but many artists get by fine as though those two colors/color concepts don’t exist.

Delofasht

Patrick, that is the color wheel I generally direct people to buy commercially. It is inexpensive and was readily available at several online retailers, I would assume it is still easily purchased.

Once owned, using the colors one has and matching then to the wheel makes it much easier to navigate color space. Taking colors adjacent on the wheel and mixing them will produce any color in between those. This makes producing “clean” purples as WFMartin notes, quite easy.

Mud is: the result of lower intensity color of a mix than one sought from mixing two bright colors together; (or) the effect of a color being juxtaposed against another where it was intended to be harmonious but fails to be so. The former is usually a result of mixing colors too far apart in color space and thus travelling through the space in a way that is less directly to the desired color. The latter concept is easily avoided by more simple measure of reducing the intensity of all colors so that the harmony is from everything essentially being mud to start with.

- Delo Delofasht
                                            WFMartin

Patrick, that is the color wheel I generally direct people to buy commercially. It is inexpensive and was readily available at several online retailers, I would assume it is still easily purchased.

Once owned, using the colors one has and matching then to the wheel makes it much easier to navigate color space. Taking colors adjacent on the wheel and mixing them will produce any color in between those. This makes producing “clean” purples as WFMartin notes, quite easy.

Mud is: the result of lower intensity color of a mix than one sought from mixing two bright colors together; (or) the effect of a color being juxtaposed against another where it was intended to be harmonious but fails to be so. The former is usually a result of mixing colors too far apart in color space and thus travelling through the space in a way that is less directly to the desired color. The latter concept is easily avoided by more simple measure of reducing the intensity of all colors so that the harmony is from everything essentially being mud to start with.

Truer words were never spoken! :thumbsup:

Also, that is a very good color wheel, and until now, I have not known of its existence. Thank you, Patrick, for posting that! That wheel should be quite useful for beginners, or anyone else who is interested.

Ted B.

James Gurney advocates a similar YURMBY Color Wheel on his website, combining the RGB with CMYk. (light/digital and paint)

Nice to see someone making this version of physical color-wheels for students, designers and artists. The conventional Red-Yellow-Blue artist’s wheels used for decades are misleading.

Radical Fundemunsellist

As is well-known those those who know things well, physical paint pigments are not mathematically ideal colors. The way they mix is only approximated by any kind of color wheel. Some are better than others.

That is the critical point.. we do not mix colors… we mix pigments (colors are concepts of interpretation of light..) Pigments mixing are not the very same thing.

I always see the color wheel more as a instruction tool than something to use as a tool when working… because your experience with a given set of pigments tends to create a more consistent work than if you for example keep changing pigments or sampling random points on the wheel with different pigments each time to get a result predicted by a color wheel.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Ted B.

Color wheels are just conceptual constructs for thinking about color.

Human perception, visual color, digital color (RGB) and ink/paint pigments are infinitely more complex. It’s the “infinite” that we keep stumbling-over.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Anonymous

notice the wheel in post 9 has yellow as a key color and blue as the complement (supposedly a mixing complement, not a visual complement), yet shows no green in the mixes. If you label a color blue, then it should really actually be a blue color, it should be labeled as a violet or at the very least, a very violet blue color.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.