Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Outside the Lines Chat Thread ~ September 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    frida

I didn’t even realize I posted in the August Chat on September 3rd!

I said then that I had seen two definite natural signs of an imminent Fall season: Goldenrods becoming yellow and my perennial Ledwort blooming, which pretty soon will be showing red leaves:

Fall is a wonderful riot of colour… I hope it inspires you to use your coloured pencils. :wave:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

ManedWolf

Koh-i-noor Hardtmuth catalog 2018-2019 in PDF form – 312 pages, about 50 megabytes:

https://www.koh-i-noor.cz/media/files/content/catalogue-2018-2019.pdf

Thermal summer is still not gone here as the mean daily temperature floats above 10°C / 50°F. We may even get over 25° temperatures tomorrow.

Heikki

MaryFlora

What a pretty plant, Raquel! We are also seeing signs of Fall, some colors now in the hardwood trees, and some birds (orioles, redwing blackbirds) gone for the season.

Heikki, I had to look up Hyvinkaa and learn a little bit. It sounds and looks like a fun and interesting city. We would enjoy the trains and museum!

Mary Flora

ManedWolf

Yep, the Finnish Railway Museum owns some quite unique rolling stock.

What I like is that the shopping mall Willa (‘wool’ with an old-fashioned w,
                    refers to the former wool industry) is right in the middle of the city.
                    It’s one of largest “shopping paradises” in Finland, extending some 300 yards southwards!

Heikki

ManedWolf

History of Faber-Castell Polychromos includes some illustrations I haven’t seen before.

Heikki

ocmd123

Thanks for starting OTL, Raquel!! August’s didn’t get started til the seventh, either! We’re all so busy with life! Between work, cleaning out my mother’s house, and refinishing some of her old furniture, I haven’t had time for any artwork. I need several more hours in the day. Or I need to figure out how to function on no sleep. I used to be able to do that. But no more. Aging. :cat:

That flower is gorgeous. It still feels like summer here, but I am starting to see some isolated red and yellow leaves around. I do love fall. Just not what comes next. :rolleyes:

ELAINE~ Moderator-Colored Pencil Forum ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to the forum? Visit the Welcome Thread ~ [FONT=Times New Roman]New to CP? Check out the CP Libray Index for information about about pencils, paper, sharpeners.[FONT=Times New Roman]
                            Instagram

Save

MaryFlora

I understand Elaine…aging and what comes after Fall….brrr! :lol: Summer seemed to go so fast this year too!

Thank you for the links, Heikki! So interesting and fun to learn more about the trains and Finland. The shopping mall looks like a great place to explore as well!

I absolutely love wool, it is my favorite fiber. :heart: I live in the country on a farm in Minnesota, wool is my best friend from about October through March/ April!

Enjoy Fall!

Mary

frida

Again no notifications…

You are welcome Elaine! :heart: As long as we “gather” here all is well.

The Botanical Artists of Canada (BAC) of which I am a member, has a great PDF newsletter for its members, and I have just been honoured with the inclusion, in the Autumn issue, of an article I wrote about Composition.

Now I will try locating you in Finland, Heikki. :wave:

http://www.botanocalartistsofcanada.org

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

The Botanical Artists of Canada (BAC) of which I am a member, has a great PDF newsletter for its members, and I have just been honoured with the inclusion, in the Autumn issue, of an article I wrote about Composition.

Congratulations! Is there a link to read the article?

Elle Amde

Never fear; always persevere.

ManedWolf Thx for posting History of Faber-Castell Polychromos! I love their sense of humor, an old standard that has no boundaries?

Elle Amde

MaryFlora, are you a quilter? I only ask because fiber types are important if/when quilting?

Elle Amde

Thanks for starting OTL, Raquel!! August’s didn’t get started til the seventh, either!

Yes, thx Raquel! October 7th is a Monday. I’ll look forward to your next flower picture!

Elle Amde

frida

Elle… Regarding your Composition question, the document is only for BAC members.

There was a time when I wished to start a Composition thread here where we could all see what others posted and constructive critiques would be given, but the years and family problems slowed me down considerably.

Most books on CP that I have cover Composition briefly, which is the best way instead of a whole book on the subject, that has so much advice and examples that dares anybody’s understanding and memory!

I have one, though, that I recommend, but it centers on botanical art: Composition – the Design Guide for Botanical Artists, by Rita Parkinson. I believe I got it from Amazon.ca

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Regarding your Composition question, the document is only for BAC members.

:( Oh well, again congratulations on your article!

There was a time when I wished to start a Composition thread here where we could all see what others posted and constructive critiques would be given, but the years and family problems slowed me down considerably.

I’ve found searching the Composition & Design Forum very helpful. Yes, it would be nice to have a C&D thread dedicated only to CP, though the concepts are still the same for all mediums.

Most books on CP that I have cover Composition briefly, which is the best way instead of a whole book on the subject, that has so much advice and examples that dares anybody’s understanding and memory!

I’m guessing that depends on interest level?

I have one, though, that I recommend, but it centers on botanical art: [I]Composition – the Design Guide for Botanical Artists[/I], by Rita Parkinson. I believe I got it from Amazon.ca

Thank you! Good to know for future reading and flower drawings!

Elle Amde

KaySilver

Hi everyone! :) Hope you are all enjoying the weekend. We have had warm weather here (south coast of England) the last week or more, so we still have plenty of butterflies in the garden. The spiders are at work too though, building some impressive webs. I love insect life as well as bird life.

Indoors, I’ve been doing a little room make-over in the tiny sitting room where I spend a lot of time. I’ve made it all cosy, vintage/cottage-style. Quite pink, very cute and Miss Marple-ish. I’ve re-used a lot of old curtain fabrics to make chair covers and tablecloths, and printed and framed some lovely botanical paintings by Pierre Redoute (bought as self-printables from Etsy). I’m very pleased with what I’ve done on a shoestring budget. :)

Now I want to get back to my artwork. I’ve got lots of sketches and nature journal pages which are unfinished, so I’ll start with those.

Nice to hear what you are all up to too. Congrats on your article on composition being included in the newsletter Raquel, that’s great!

I love old trains Heikki – in fact, I love pretty much anything like that from bygone eras, that was made with quality craftsmanship. I’ve been watching TV reruns of ‘Downton Abbey’ and there are some lovely steam trains and motorcars in that. I love all the beautiful dresses too, all hand-stitched.

Right, I’d best get my watercolour pencils out then, if I’m going to get all these pictures finished! :lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.