Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Two Yellow Pears and Apple

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    skipkeyser

Graphite sketch followed by fountain pen and sepia ink, Tombow and Sharpie Extra Fine pens, and Uni-ball Vision Micro pen with colored pencil highlights on 6-1/4″ x 9″ (~ 16 x 23 cm) 70# (114 gsm) Fante high-rag content tinted paper:

Skip Keyser
        skipkeyserart.blogspot.com

LENGERT

This is gorgeous, Skip. I like everything about it: the shapes, the colours, the toned paper and that it is abstracted.
            You’ve just answered a question I was going to ask about coloured felt pens as well.

sanlynn

laika

What an interesting style! I like it.
                Did you use much colored pencil?

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                - Otto Rank

skipkeyser

“Did [ I ] use much colored pencil?” Good question and my initial response would have been ‘no’ until I prepared the markup below to help answer this. Now I’d have to answer ‘yes’.

A word about the ‘process’: with the exception of the reflected shadows and 5 ‘white over yellow ochre’ areas, all colored areas started out as graphite sketch > sepia ink outline > colored pen & ink. However, the result was rather flat.

Additionally, although dark pen & ink ‘highlights’ could be successfully added, lighter [pen & ink] colors – such as the light blue highlights on dark areas of the leaves – would be difficult to see without better preplanning. “Better preplanning” would, of course, eliminate the surprise at how the work turned out. (It also would mean I would need a better understanding of what I was doing.) I know somewhere there are artists who know exactly how their finished work will look before they start, but with me the end product is always a surprise.

So, that’s the reason the (1) 5 ‘white over yellow ochre’ areas were left blank and (2) colored pencil was used to give some depth to the work.

And colored pencil shading/highlights are much quicker to add.

Skip Keyser

Very interesting to see your process. The end result is absolutely stunning!

It’s an amazing piece and really quite abstract … I like the way a piece develops and takes its own path!
                    I suppose it’s strictly a mixed-media piece and maybe you could x-post there but I think we’ll leave this thread here!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

skipkeyser

Thanks to all for the comments. In re “Mixed Media” – I agree. This (the mixed media nature of the work) became readily apparent while preparing the markup identifying the colored-pencil highlighted areas.

Skip Keyser

ronsu18

thank you for showing this process and for sharing the beauty. my favourites are the highlights on all the leaves and the supernaturally behaving & moving shapes on the left.

C&C welcome

cwilliamson

I like this. I wish where the fruit meets the ground that the colors actually met but I like your shadowing throughout. Very nice energy.

Clark

rosta

Nice work skip.

Ron

C & C always welcome

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.