Home Forums The Think Tank Creativity The Book Club rothko books?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tidal

there are a few books out there on him but can any1 cut the trawl and advise on which one anymore than the others concentrates more on the technical side of things ie what type of paint he used rather than how depressed he was …cheers :) very interested in him

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

ppeace

Oil paint? Go somewhere where you can view one or more of his paintings. I went to the Chicago Art Institute, myself. You are supposed to stand 18 inches in front of the painting, so that it takes up almost your whole field of vision.

I find if I wear sandals and step out of them, barefoot on the floor, the experience is even greater. Guards don’t like it.

Other times, I would sit on a bench in front of one and sketch abstractly. I think I sketched 20 pages or more once.

Because there’s so little in Rothko’s, I find them endlessly inspirational.

DaveCrow

It is definitely worth experiencing Rothko’s color field paintings in person. They have a lot of qualities that just don’t come through in reproduction.

That said I would also be interested in information on the technical side. Paints and pigments used, application techniques, etc.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Use Her Name

I find if I wear sandals and step out of them, barefoot on the floor, the experience is even greater. Guards don’t like it.

I like this. I am in to an art (sculpture) that is meant to be touched. Museums do not allow touching. I am autistic. I do the art because it has the most meaning to an autistic person. Just “looking at it” makes no difference. I think of the ancient caves where art (animal art) was painted and carved on the walls. A person did not just “look” they added, subtracted, worshipped or prayed or whatever you would call “calling the Gods.”

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

tidal

Hi UseHerName …Excellent can’t wait to see your blog notify me when you have it up and running:) would love to see your sculpture:) My son is autistc to so are two of my good friends in fact the world needs to see the person before the autism as hey here we are and I am discussing autism more than your art …it is instilled in us to be ignorant myself included, with my son my thoughts are in general that I am not worthy to be in a conversation with him! My brain is different to his mine I feel generaly lacking compared to his.In regards to anyone else interested in Rothko he generaly was secretive about his mediums but I think from testing they found oils acrylics house paints and he used rabbit skin glue on his canvas..other than that the guy wielded some wizardry when it came to color :)

Sculpture is what you bump into when you back up to see a painting..Barnett Newman

Use her name: I’m so sorry I’m late to this discussion, but I really like touchable art and wanted to contribute. 😁I want to make art that people can pick up and find a use for it. (I should’ve went into sculpting but that’s really hard for me.) I second your idea and I find it fascinating how art objects in museums/galleries are held as sacred and held behind barriers and sophistication when people wore some items or belonged to children to just play with for fun or are just sacred tools to be used but have lost their worth to their aesthetic instead of use. I think about it a lot. ☺️

I enjoy watercolors and studying watercolors and getting tons of pigments and seeing their variations.

I’ve yet to find one, but why not just physically go see one or better yet, read up on color field art and do a variety yourself from what you see from his? It might be different, but it’ll definitely still be colorfield.

However, if you do find one, I would love to know.

I enjoy watercolors and studying watercolors and getting tons of pigments and seeing their variations.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.