Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Inktense lovers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Dcam

I’ve discovered a new way to use these bright colorful tools.
        (I think its new).

Get a couple of sheets of fine black (wetsand) paper.
        Lay your paper down like a palette. using either the inktense stick blocks or pencils, scribble some marks (as if shading an area). get a wet brush and activate the color, then paint with it.
        You can make a whole palette of colors this way and mix and match. TOO much fun.

Derek

chaffee

Indeed Derek! I’ve used this method too except I just used a piece of watercolor paper for my palette.
            Try it with a water pen as well,…works like a charm!

Tim

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare

Dcam

Hi Tim: yes I used watercolor paper, but it absorbs a lot of the paint, so on to the wetsand paper.
                Cheers, Derek

Pingpongfan

Sounds interesting. I have never tried that, but i am certainly going to. I only use Inktense in small sections because when I have tried larger areas I seem to get lines. With your method, I presume, that problem would be solved.
                    Vena

KaySilver

Yep, I use a ‘scribble palette’ with Inktense too (I use cheap watercolour paper scraps). I find it the best way to use them.

frida

My favourite “pallet” for soluble pencils is a piece of corrugated cardboard covered with Mylar, the plastic translucent film that takes coloured pencil. It is called by other names, Vellum maybe? Duralar?

I secure it on the back side with masking tape, and make patches of colour on the plastic, from which I can remove the pigment with a wet brush. It can be cleaned up with wet paper towel, or even carefully washed. The remaining residue left by the dyes doesn’t affect the next colour applied on the same spot…

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

KaySilver

My favourite “pallet” for soluble pencils is a piece of corrugated cardboard covered with Mylar, the plastic translucent film that takes coloured pencil. It is called by other names, Vellum maybe? Duralar?

I secure it on the back side with masking tape, and make patches of colour on the plastic, from which I can remove the pigment with a wet brush. It can be cleaned up with wet paper towel, or even carefully washed. The remaining residue left by the dyes doesn’t affect the next colour applied on the same spot…

I’m very interested in this, Raquel, but I can’t visualise it. Are you using the corrugation of the cardboard in any way? The Mylar I have is sheets of flexible plastic (similar to acetate) for cutting stencils – is that the same stuff?

I’d like an alternative to using watercolour paper because watercolour paper does soak up and therefore waste a lot of the pigment/ink once wetted. I wouldn’t buy something new (like the black paper mentioned by OP) just for this purpose, but if I can improvise with what I already have, I’d like to try.

Pingpongfan

Claudia, I think the black fine (600 grit) wet/dry sandpaper Derek is talking about is available in about 8×10 sheets from a hardware store and is quite inexpensive. I used to use it for decorative art to give a final sand to a wooden piece to make a really smooth satiny surface. Derek can correct me if I am wrong. I think the acetate you have is thicker that the vellum, but it should work as Raquel describes.
                                    Vena

Dcam

Good ideas Vena:

I emailed Daler Rowney and mentioned an idea I’ve had. How about a kind of paint box with squares of INKTENSE like a watercolor set? Complete with a mixing tray. I’ve been waiting for three days for an answer. We’ll see.
                                        Derek

KaySilver

Claudia, I think the black fine (600 grit) wet/dry sandpaper Derek is talking about is available in about 8×10 sheets from a hardware store and is quite inexpensive. I used to use it for decorative art to give a final sand to a wooden piece to make a really smooth satiny surface. Derek can correct me if I am wrong. I think the acetate you have is thicker that the vellum, but it should work as Raquel describes.
                                            Vena

Ah OK, I know what you mean. We just call it Wet&Dry sandpaper here.

Thanks Vena!

Sutra

Good ideas Vena:

I emailed Daler Rowney and mentioned an idea I’ve had. How about a kind of paint box with squares of INKTENSE like a watercolor set? Complete with a mixing tray. I’ve been waiting for three days for an answer. We’ll see.
                                                Derek

I like this idea but Intense pencils and blocks are made by Derwent.

Dcam

Sutra: WOW, what a mistake. It is terrible getting old.
                                                    I’ll try Derwent. No wonder they didn’t get back to me.

Derek

frida

Claudia – I just looked at my pallet and I’ve used a strong piece of simple cardboard. I guess I was thinking about corrugated because it keeps flat.

My Mylar is like a frosted acetate, and takes CP pigment well, actually on both sides.

I wouldn’t use sandpaper. The grit on it can dislodge, and you don’t want that on your work.

Derek – My husband Derek advises anyone who wants to hear him “don’t get old”. Unfortunately I don’t see that is working for us! ;)

I have checked your website, and you have an incredible amount of terrific work!!!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

KaySilver

Thanks Raquel, that’s great. I have Mylar (definitely sounds like the same stuff) and I have stiff cardboard, so I will try it! I had no idea Mylar takes CP. I’ve only ever used it for cutting stencils.

Dcam

frida: thanks for visiting my site. I really need to update it with about 10 new paintings I’ve done.
                                                                Hi Claudia: The best is duralar matte finish (frosted mylar). It has a slight tooth. I do pen and ink on it colored pencil, and acrylic.
                                                                The problem I think, with cardboard is; absorbency it will suck up some of the nice wet color on the palette. You want a waterproof surface but with tooth.
                                                                we have TOO much fun don’t we?

Here is an artist I love: Mary Borgman Charcoal on Matte duralar (Frosted)
                                                                These are large works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.