Home Forums Explore Media Airbrush Iwata HP-C problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sygnin

I have an old Iwata HP-C that someone gave me years ago (it was already old when I received it).

I just tried using it and even when the trigger was not depressed, there would be some air leaking out through the nozzle area, regardless of whether there was a needle in or not.

Then I stupidly over tightende the nozzle and broke the thread :(

My question is – is it worth it to get a new nozzle? Or does it sound like the airbrush has multiple problems and I’d be better off getting a new one?

Hidiho

I would have looked at the air valve assemble first (where the Air hose connects) to see if this was functioning properly, chances are that the seal may have perished or old paint has managed to get through to the valve and kept the air valve open.

The Needle/Nozzle controls the amount of paint coming though the Airbrush and by tightening the nozzle won’t make any difference if the air is coming out of the front of the Airbrush…

sygnin

I would have looked at the air valve assemble first (where the Air hose connects) to see if this was functioning properly, chances are that the seal may have perished or old paint has managed to get through to the valve and kept the air valve open.

The Needle/Nozzle controls the amount of paint coming though the Airbrush and by tightening the nozzle won’t make any difference if the air is coming out of the front of the Airbrush…

Thanks. A person at an art store helped me open the air valve portion and it looked clean. I’ve got a new nozzle on order, hope it will still fit (and that I didn’t mess up the thread).

I did notice that my version of the HP-C (more like the 50th anniversary edition) has what looks like a tiny O ring and screw in the middle. It’s deep in the body in front of the trigger. I have no idea how to remove it to check on it, but perhaps that may be cracked thus allowing air? The O ring in the air assembly and the front part (behind the nozzle) looks fine.

Hidiho

If you are describing parts 20 & 16 this is the Needle packing seal (screw) that the needle passes through and is adjustable with a jewelers screwdriver, this stops paint flowing into the rear of the airbrush body where the trigger assembly is.

What does happen is that paint can get through this packing seal and can sit around the trigger piston (part 22) causing this to “stick” open, not sure if the HP-C is a one piece trigger unit (trigger will have the piston attached and be free to swing) or two pieces as described below like the HP-CP, but Super Lube generally will fix this problem of the sticking piston. Worse case scenario that the lube doesn’t fix the problem then the piston may need to be removed and the piston and the recessed area it sits in will need to be cleaned of any paint residue build up.

The Air comes through the hose into the Air valve, once you depress the trigger it opens the Air valve and the air then travels through a channel built into the body and then comes out from a small hole just below the nozzle.

As the rubber seal on the air valve seems to be fine then it would be the piston “sticking” that is causing the air valve to stay open and just one drop of super lube should be enough to free it up.

I bought a second hand airbrush once that was used for spay tanning but was never cleaned properly, the tanning solution caused the piston to seize and was that bad that I had to use 2000 grit wet and dry on the piston and air valve to get rid of the corrosion build up on the piston and air valve. it now works perfectly..

You should be able to get a nozzle for the HP-C from Iwata but just make sure that it is only the HP-C Nozzle as the HP-CP nozzle is slightly different.

sygnin

Hi Hidiho

Thank you! Hm, perhaps I’ll need to hunt down a jewellers scredriver then to see if I ca unscrew those bits. The nozzle I ordered is for HP-C, though I guess HP-C Plus since they don’t sell HP-C anymore (I think?).

The HP-C I have is like the 50th anniversary one; I think this schematic describes it: http://www.dixieart.com/IW_image/IW_HP_C_ANNIV_SCH.jpg

sygnin

Hi Hidiho

Thank you! Hm, perhaps I’ll need to hunt down a jewellers scredriver then to see if I ca unscrew those bits. The nozzle I ordered is for HP-C, though I guess HP-C Plus since they don’t sell HP-C anymore (I think?).

The HP-C I have is like the 50th anniversary one; I think this schematic describes it:

If you are describing parts 20 & 16 this is the Needle packing seal (screw) that the needle passes through and is adjustable with a jewelers screwdriver, this stops paint flowing into the rear of the airbrush body where the trigger assembly is.

What does happen is that paint can get through this packing seal and can sit around the trigger piston (part 22) causing this to “stick” open, not sure if the HP-C is a one piece trigger unit (trigger will have the piston attached and be free to swing) or two pieces as described below like the HP-CP, but Super Lube generally will fix this problem of the sticking piston. Worse case scenario that the lube doesn’t fix the problem then the piston may need to be removed and the piston and the recessed area it sits in will need to be cleaned of any paint residue build up.

The Air comes through the hose into the Air valve, once you depress the trigger it opens the Air valve and the air then travels through a channel built into the body and then comes out from a small hole just below the nozzle.

As the rubber seal on the air valve seems to be fine then it would be the piston “sticking” that is causing the air valve to stay open and just one drop of super lube should be enough to free it up.

I bought a second hand airbrush once that was used for spay tanning but was never cleaned properly, the tanning solution caused the piston to seize and was that bad that I had to use 2000 grit wet and dry on the piston and air valve to get rid of the corrosion build up on the piston and air valve. it now works perfectly..

You should be able to get a nozzle for the HP-C from Iwata but just make sure that it is only the HP-C Nozzle as the HP-CP nozzle is slightly different.

Hidiho

The HP-C and HP-C 50th Anniversary use the i0803 Nozzle, the HP-CP uses the i0808 Nozzle.

Iwata still sells the HP-C Nozzle so the likelihood that you ordered the HP-C Nozzle should be right.

sygnin

The HP-C and HP-C 50th Anniversary use the i0803 Nozzle, the HP-CP uses the i0808 Nozzle.

Iwata still sells the HP-C Nozzle so the likelihood that you ordered the HP-C Nozzle should be right.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.