Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business How do I shrink-wrap prints of my paintings to sell?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    whimsyartlady

:cat: I had prints made of some of my original acrylic paintings so I could sell them at art shows in a “browse bin.” The print sizes are 8″x10″ to 11″x14″.
        I’ve never did this before. I was thinking of just carefully gluing the prints with a glue stick onto foamboard, and then “shrink-wrapping” them tight.
        Could someone tell me if this is the correct method of preparing prints to sell?

Leslie S.

Hi!
            I am the owner of a small gallery and custom framing shop, so this is an area with which I am very familiar. First, do not attach the artwork with any adhesive. If you do shrinkwrap, the wrap itself and friction will hold the art in place. Almost certainly whoever buys the piece will want to mat and/or frame it differently and if you glue it to the support this makes it difficult to remove from the backing.

Shrinkwrapping is not very difficult, but you can also purchase clear bags in those sizes which are inexpensive and lots easier to deal with…they have an adhesive strip on one end so they can be sealed. You just slip the artwork, a backer (we use rag mat scraps for the smaller sizes), and a printed bio/info into the bag and seal it. Voila! You’re good to go.

If you are sure you would rather shrinkwrap, you can buy a roll of the wrap and a heat gun. Lay out a work surface that is as clean as you can get it…the static electricity of the wrap will attact every speck of dust in the county. Pull out enough wrap to cover the front, the back and about a 6″ overlap all around. If you do not have enough overlap it will leave a gap as the film shrinks.

Lay the artwork and then the backing face down on the center of the wrap. Fold the wrap over in the middle , press out as much air as possible, then fold over the ends (almost like giftwrapping a very thin package). Apply the heat on the back first, then tighten up the front with a bit more heat. You can also use an iron set on the lowest setting, but you have to use a barrier between the iron and the wrap because the iron gets so hot it can melt the wrap (and you’ll have a huge mess) (don’t ask me how I know this!). Also, I don’t think the heat is all that great for the acrylic paint.

All this may be clear as mud..good luck.

Leslie

kiabgoa

I agree that the bags are a whole lot easier than shrink wrapping. I bought a moderately priced shrink wrap system (heat gun, heat resistant pad, heat sealer bar, and roll of film), because I thought that was the way to go, but soon after found the bags and they are just great. Now if I could just find someone to buy that shrink wrap system…. :o

Here is a link to the place I get the bags I use. I particularly like the Protective Closure Bags because they have the adhesive strip on the back of bag instead of the flap so it doesn’t stick to your artwork when you (or your customer) takes it out of the bag. :)

whimsyartlady

Leslie, thanks ever so much for your expertise advise in this matter!! You’re right too aout gluing the print to the foamboard limiting the buyer as to framing it, etc. I never thought about that. Thanks again!

whimsyartlady

Kiaboa, Thanks so much for your input too regarding using clear bags instead of shrink wrap! You make a good point! But I just wonder if the clear bags are not a tight fit, if my print and unglued foamboard are going to shift around and look very unappealing in the bags?!

Devinjo

I use ClearBags, too. I also purchase their acid free backing board in the same size as my prints and it makes for a really professional presentation. I just slip the backing board in behind the print. The bags fit perfectly. I also stamp by studio info and website address on the back of the backing board.

Deborah

My Website,
                            Facebook

[FONT=Georgia][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]"Those who say it cannot be done...should not interrupt the person doing it[/COLOR]" [/SIZE]

Leslie S.

Dear Whimsyartlady,
                                The bags are made with the “standard” art sizes in mind, plus a small allowance all around. Typically, this is just enough room for a double mat, the artwork, and a backing of matboard. It fits fairly snuggly. If you are not matting the art, just use acid-free foamboard instead of mat backing, or else just slip extra pieces of mat into the package til it is as snug as you wish. These bags are supposed to be archival, and so will not yellow or damage your artwork. We have been using them for our stuff for a couple of years now. I keep several sizes on hand (up to 16 x 20), and if they don’t fit exactly I just fold the excess to the back side and tape.

I have found them to be real time and energy savers.

V.Bleile

I use framers corners (by Lineco) to hold my reproductions in place on the foamboard. They are archival and come in various sizes. I think the size I buy are 1-3/8″.

If you do choose to go the shrink wrap route, not all films are the same. My system came with a roll of PVC shrink wrap film which proved to be a pain in the tush to deal with and it didn’t seem to hold up well over time. I have found the polyolefin film to be much more user friendly & durable.

coffeecup12

Great information! I was thinking about shrink wrap vs. bags too. I’ll go for the bags!

whimsyartlady

:clap: Thank you all, for your wonderful response. This forum is unbelieveable! I have a show coming up in a couple of weeks and I am convinced now that ClearBags would be easier and more professional looking for making my prints to sell! Thanks all of you so very much for your valued input!:)

Liz

In what sort of store would one be able to buy these bags? An art supply store?

My Art
                                                --------------------

coyote

In what sort of store would one be able to buy these bags? An art supply store?

Buy them online from http://www.clearbags.com or http://www.clearenvelope.com

They ship fast.

Todd 'coyote' Cooper ---
                                                    I love the smell of turpentine in the morning. It smells like...art.
                                                    My Gallery

Liz

But can you buy them in stores?

My Art
                                                        --------------------

kiabgoa

But can you buy them in stores?

I’ve seen small packs of similar bags at my local Dick Blick store, but they only have a few sizes and are substantially more expensive, even when you factor in shipping. And it can’t hurt to check at other art supply shops…even if they don’t have them now, if they get enough requests, they may start to carry some.

frankmb

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone will check it. Would just the backing board be fine or should I spring for the much more expensive foam board? Also, are there any other sites that don’t have the ridiculous shipping rates that ClearBags does?

Thanks,
                                                                Frank Martin-Buck
                                                                FindingArtOnline.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘How do I shrink-wrap prints of my paintings to sell?’ is closed to new replies.