Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Woody

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    JMM

Hi Everyone!
        I want to show you my latest clay. The clay is what I see in an olive tree in my neighborhood park. The tree is about 35 years old and one day while walking my dog I noticed a figure in the trunk of the tree. It reminded me of an old man with a big beard and so I decided to sculpt what I see. The gnarled bark is not complete on the tree so I had to add the right portion of the beard and brow to complete the face. Here it is:

the size is 24″ H x 13″ W

JMM

What a creative eye! I see him too in the tree. You captured the man in your sculpture without making the extra added details too contrived. What a fun piece!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

JMM

Hey sculpturedolls!
            Thank you so much for your comment! I’m still trying to convince my wife that Woody lives in the tree. When we’re walking the dog, I’ll wave and yell out, “Hey Woody!”, but she just shakes her head and still has a hard time seeing anything but a dumb olive tree!

JMM

ArtsyLynda

Tell her it’s Treebeard from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Maybe that will impress her more, especially when you tell her he can get up and walk, and that he and his peers participated in a huge battle in the books – and won! Love the sculpture and the tree! Thanks for sharing!

JMM

Hey ArtsyLynda!
                    Thanks for the comment and what to tell my wife. She said it helped a lot! Having done this sculpture, I can’t help but look and stare at the other olive trees in the park! People probably think I’m nuts……….but it’s like looking at clouds…………

JMM

ArtsyLynda

I see things in the clouds all the time. My husband just chuckles. He very rarely sees shapes in the clouds, but then again, he’s an engineer and sees things very differently than I do. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s their loss.

As for your sculpture, you should absolutely do more! There’s a market for garden art. Just think how cool he’d look peeking out from a veil of ivy or wave petunias! Cool! Now I want to make one but don’t have any olive trees to inspire me! LOL

JMM

Hey ArtsyLynda,

Thank you so much for the reply! I never would have thought of a yard sculpture, in fact I have never thought of selling any of my art! What would certainly work in the garden would be a pigmented indestructible plaster like the one I do all my castings in. I will certainly explore that possibility and then marketing it!

JMM

ArtsyLynda

Just be sure to leave a space for a planter or plant and drill a hole in the bottom of the plant area so it will drain. Or do you cast solid pieces? If they’re solid, allow room for a pot with a dish under it like hanging baskets have, making sure the cavity is deep enough that the pot doesn’t show. That should work.

What kind of plaster do you use? Do you sculpt the plaster or cast in it? Endlessly curious me …

Set up a couple of pieces with beautiful trailing plants. Then invite friends and neighbors to come to a “garden party.” Serve light refreshments and talk to people about your sculptures, which show the tree spirits in a rare moment when they peeked out at our world. You can make up whatever story suits you.

Don’t use “Ents” in any advertising. I’m sure it’s copyrighted and/or trademarked.

If you sell them from your back yard, you don’t have to pay 50% (or more) commission. Use Square to take credit cards, it’s easiest. Or haul one or two to a garden center and sell them wholesale. I’d buy one if the price was right for me (hubby is retired, so we don’t buy expensive art anymore. *sigh*)

Great idea to market this! You have a wonderful story to go along with it which makes people smile.

I know I’ve mentioned Facebook before on a recent post, but it really is a great place to buy and sell. I have way more success than even Craigslist, which is pretty great too.

So…. go to your local community Facebook pages, like “Dallas Needs” (insert your town name) and show what you have for sale. You will have the locals coming right to your backyard to grab that affordable garden art gift that is a little on the eccentric side!

[FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

JMM

Hey ArtsyLynda and Sculpturedolls!

Wow! I never thought this piece could possibly amount to something! I never would have given a thought to a garden piece.
                                    ArtsyLinda……..I cast all my pieces in Forton-MG. The material is impervious to the elements and would be ideal for a planter type basin attached to Woody. Since it’s a modified plaster material, I can pigment it with dry pigment powders and have the entire piece cast as such or in different colors. I will need to think as to what decoration I may want on the basin if any and the shape of it but that will be the fun part of putting this together. Casting it separately and attaching it would be easy since this material adheres to itself and can be reinforced with 1″ chopped glass.
                                    Sculpturedolls………………..I have never marketed any of my pieces so your suggestion would be a great place and way to start!

Thank you so much for the advice from both of you. I will seriously pursue the directions your advices have given me.
                                    ArtsyLynda………If you pay for shipping, you can have one of these gratis. First see how this turns out. I have other irons in the fire and am very busy with those. I will keep both of you posted.

Again, many thanks for all your enthusiasms! I am blown away by your responses!

JMM

ArtsyLynda

Gratis? Wow, thanks! :clap: :clap: :clap: I’m in Ohio, where are you located? I hope it isn’t horribly far away, but I don’t think olive trees grow in Ohio …

It’ll be a fun piece to share with everyone. Hey, I want one too and I’ll pay for shipping!! I have a big back yard and like to entertain and this work of art has a big story behind it. :clap: :wave: We have lots of olive orchards all over my town. :)

Thanks for sharing your process and materials too.

JMM

Hey ArtsyLynda and Sculpturedolls,
                                            I live in Chandler, Az. When I get the piece with a planter basin attached I can send both of you a copy. First see how the combined piece turns out and then if agreeable to all, I will find out how much to ship the piece and will contact you both via email through this website. I plan on working on it this week. I will be making a silicon mold for the piece after completion of the planter basin in clay. I will be able to pigment the piece by adding dry pigments to the Forton-MG and with the pigment that could be your choice of color.

JMM

Thank you!:clap: What fun to be able to have watched this piece from the beginning and then see the completed version with a planter basin too. I will love to have this in my yard! Hope all goes well with your mold of it!:wave:

ArtsyLynda

Our choice of color? COOL! I could be tacky and say turquoise, but wood-colored would probably be better. Guess I’ll have to see a picture of it to know for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.