Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture “ a 40 min study~ painting kids from life “

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    carolkay

Iv not been doing much lately – so I’m looking back at some of my works! I do like these quick studies to do . You don’t hv time to fiddle.. it’s great lessons for looking- seeing- getting it down .. when I studied with Jeff Watts – he had us doing 30 min head studies! This is a 40 min study — painting kids from life ! I hope I get back to getting some more work accomplished soon !oil !
        This little guy sat pretty good .. but the 5-6. Yr olds were moving a lot .. try getting that down … lol it was hilarious at times ! But good practice!
        His collar was hiding his neck most of the time!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
        kentiessen

Excellent work Carol! You’ve painted him very well, and in such a short, short time. I once had an 11 year old sit in for a portrait night- you’ve heard the expression “ants in the pants”? He had them big time-

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

I once had an 11 year old sit in for a portrait night- you’ve heard the expression “ants in the pants”? He had them big time-

This is why I like doing portraits from photos. :lol:

Fantastic study carol, you’ve really captured him.

On another thread, you said “I’ve had many approach’s to doing commissions .. and I always turn them down!”

I’ve got to ask…. Why?
            You’re a great artist, your portraits and still life works are, frankly, amazing.
            You could easily charge hundreds of dollars for quality stuff like this study that’s taken you just 40 minutes. Even if you only charged $50 for a 1 hour sitting, that’s still a pay rate of $50 per hour. Imagine how many of those you could do in a week.

I think I might have mentioned this to you before, but there’s an artists competition on TV in the UK called ‘Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year’ in which the winner gets to paint a £10,000 commission. It’s entered by an even mix of amateur and professional artists and during the heats the artists get 4 hours to paint a celebrity sitter, and y’know what? Most of their results after 4 hours aren’t as good as your results after just 40 minutes.

Great work Carol!

contumacious

Excellent! I almost always prefer this type of portrait to a more refined one.

carolkay

Excellent work Carol! You’ve painted him very well, and in such a short, short time. I once had an 11 year old sit in for a portrait night- you’ve heard the expression “ants in the pants”? He had them big time-

Thanks Ken… yes .. lol .. it’s a trip to paint kids.. we were given 20 min .. with 5 yr olds and told .. get the darks and lights down .. one kid we painted wiggled way down in his chair and was turning all over.. the man painting next to me and I laughed so much we barely was able to get him!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                    carolkay

This is why I like doing portraits from photos. :lol:

[I]Fantastic[/I] study carol, you’ve [I]really[/I] captured him.

On another thread, you said “I’ve had many approach’s to doing commissions .. and I always turn them down!”

I’ve got to ask…. Why?
                        You’re a [I]great[/I] artist, your portraits and still life works are, frankly, amazing.
                        You could [I]easily[/I] charge hundreds of dollars for quality stuff like this study that’s taken you [I]just[/I] 40 minutes. Even if you only charged $50 for a 1 hour sitting, that’s [I]still[/I] a pay rate of $50 per hour. Imagine how many of those you could do in a week.

I think I might have mentioned this to you before, but there’s an artists competition on TV in the UK called ‘Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year’ in which the winner gets to paint a £10,000 commission. It’s entered by an even mix of amateur and professional artists and during the heats the artists get 4 hours to paint a celebrity sitter, and y’know what? Most of their results after 4 hours aren’t as good as [I]your[/I] results after just 40 minutes.

David – thank you for such positive encouragement . I know I suck at getting paid for my art! One year while staying at Chama RV – park – i set up a tent. And asked my hubby to sit for 1 hr…

He said he wld if he could read !
                        This turned into .. 15 1 hr portraits I did at that RV park before we left .. lol
                        I guess it goes back to my training — look – get it down .
                        I seem to do better at this than the long drawn out process .. in that I seem to get lost !!!

carolkay

Great work Carol!

Thanks so much Moises!

carolkay

Excellent! I almost always prefer this type of portrait to a more refined one.

Thank you … you know I do also !

Winnieike2

This is so well done! I love the brushstrokes, the colors… everything. I’d love to try oil paint but I don’t know that I’d ever be this good with a brush. You do such wonderful portraits!

Loretta7

I love seeing your work Carol. Your little boy is very good.

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

carolkay

This is so well done! I love the brushstrokes, the colors… everything. I’d love to try oil paint but I don’t know that I’d ever be this good with a brush. You do such wonderful portraits!

Thank you Winnie- you should try oils- it’s very forgiving . And you can paint right over it !

carolkay

I love seeing your work Carol. Your little boy is very good.

Thank you Loretta – I love seeing yr work also

misterC

Quickly capturing the likeness and character like that is quiet a talent. Fantastic work!

123harry

That’s a great portrait of the kid. Very fresh. As you say, it is often the case that the work done in the shorter time is the best. More spontaneous and alive. Once again this reminds me of Augustus John who was also terrific at the quick capture.
                                                        I think I’ve seen the portrait of your husband before. Another good ‘un.

C&C always welcome.
                                                        Instagram harry.hamill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.