WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

It's me again, and I was wrong about the visit being this week. I called my my daughter and asked her when she thought they would be here this Wednesday. She called me back and told me it's that for May 14th. I guess I was so lonely for her that my brain shut down.

Anyway, I just came down with a series of odd and outrageously hot heat waves, that have me think I'm dying from it, and now Himself won't let me drive for fear of my losing control. I think I'll call my doc and tell him about it, in case it's a heart problem. Wish me well, please!

#197   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Nancy, I am wishing you well. Also, I asked recently about a specific book on watercolor, that I saw in the store a few weeks ago, over in the watercolor learning subforum, immediately got deluged with a number of, what I am sure, are quality books. Then I remembered that you used to do a lot of work in watercolor, do you have any tips for understanding the handling of the medium? A very common aspect people seem to mention is the idea of not controlling watercolor, which honestly makes no sense to me as I have managed to control it in exactly the way I desire in all the work I have done thus far. That said, I want to understand more technical aspects such as why it granulates, how to tell how wet the paper is, if there are any signs of brush wetness (do the bristles feel heavier when using a bigger brush when damp, my brushes are small and do not carry a lot of water). . . So on and so on, stuff I would figure would be in a book somewhere but most the time the stuff in the books are more about composition or specific brush handling and less about the subtleties of the medium itself. To compound difficulties, I have a lot of experience in several other media, so I really do not need to constantly be rereading information on brushes, color theory, or composition when studying a new media. I find it strange that most of the books I read on the subject tend to discuss everything but the watercolor (where as a book on acrylic or oil will go into great depth on the specific unique qualities of the paint itself).

Marcia, sent you a PM to ship you a stylus, found one of them today in a box, have another somewhere. Shoot me a message back and I will get it out to you.

Annie, I have read that book, picked mine up for a few dollars at a library book sale. I took it as a sign that I needed to do more portraiture, ended up giving the book to a friend as a Christmas gift later that year (after devouring the content, very good book I agree, though the color theory bit was perhaps a little dated).

So, while unpacking boxes I came across my old sketchbooks. . . My gods a decade ago I was positively terrible. And a decade previous I must have been an absolute disaster. . . No wonder my high school art teacher suggested I put my energy into something like computer sciences. Ah well, perseverance over talent. Most of my real improvement came over the last 4 years, where I taught myself instead of trying to learn from some teacher (pretty sure I learn in a way that most teachers do not know how to teach). Just “doing it”, does not actually work very well for me, I need to understand the why something works. Not taking about theory here, more the actual manipulation of physics. There are resources for this kind of learning online now days, a great time to be a student of the arts (which I mean. . . I always will be, too much to learn to ever stop being a student).

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Nancy, sorry for the disappointment about your daughter's visit. I hope your hot flashes aren't serious, and your doctor listens to you!

Delo, thanks again for the offer, however, there is no PM in my inbox. Would you double check?

I have been a sketcher all my life, but when I started art classes in Jr High, the homework assignments were stifling ('draw a table and chair using perspective'). My completed assignments were lackluster to say the least, usually scribbled out quickly the morning they were due. One week, I was so wrapped up in drawing teeny bopper pop stars, that I never got around to doing the actual assignment. I sheepishly explained that I didn't get around to the assignment and handed in my portraits instead. The teacher accepted them, but I don't think he was entirely convinced I did them, considering how crummy the assigned work was that I had been handing in. He told me to draw what I wanted from then on, as long as I handed in at least one a week. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I learned all of my drawing skills up 'til college from Walter Foster. And staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning drawing nearly every night. Why yes, I did fall asleep during algebra nearly every day. constantly drawing was probably the best learning I could have gotten. And being able to draw what I wanted to.

I think my mom bought me Drawing from the right side of the brain my senior year. The access to both books and everything else online nowadays is truly phenomenal. I sometimes wonder how I did find stuff pre-internet, without any academic connections.
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, think of it as something to look forward to in May...and yes, get the hot spells figured out...shouldn't be happening...

Interesting stories, Delo and Marcia...I always was singled out for my art, through grade school and middle school..and participated in many exhibits and school functions with it....but in high school had teacher from hell...he hated everything I did, said all I could do was scribble...I quit art after the first semester and set out for a science degree prep...had a job nights and weekends and eventually went on to get my nutrition degree...but always really had wanted the art...and did go back to it on my own...without regret....
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:57 AM
A WC! Legend

My high school art teacher flat out told me there was nothing she could teach me, and just let me do what I wanted. At the time I thought such independence was great, in retrospect, a bit of guidance and structure would have been a good thing. Particularly if someone had told me post high school that there were art related careers out there, instead of telling me to major in teaching, so I would have "something to fall back on if painting didn't work out" (ie, I felt that no one believed in me). I am not a people person, the idea of being a teacher was abhorrent to me, so I took commercial art at a community college and drifted for a decade. Learned some oil painting, then made the mistake of getting married, and lost another 10 years uselessly to trying to keep someone else happy.

As much as I wished I had been able to be an artist my entire life, I figure the other experiences I had, for better or worse, helped shape me, so there's that. We all have interesting stories that led us here.
  #201   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 01:29 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes...teachers are supposed to teach...but at least you weren't driven out...and the drafting was likely not that bad for your skills either...I took a few drafting courses too at one time...and had a hodge podge of a variety of jobs and unfortunate marriage as well...my parents also discouraged me from an art career...even though I paid for my own education...but like you say Marcia, the life experiences all in one way or another end up coming out in what we create now...I know they do for me and believe strongly the do for us all...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Even though my Commercial Art training was in the early 80s when we still literally cut and pasted layouts, and send copy out to the typesetter, some of the benefits were that we still got to draw in charcoal and graphite, and paint in inks, watercolors, and gouache. I would imagine it is all cgi now. A lot of the nomenclature transferred over to digita, which made learning photoshop a little easier for me.

We took a field trip one day to the layout department at the city newspaper, because they were just starting to use computers to put together grocery and department store ad layouts and classifieds. Articles were still being done by hand though, with either linotype or photoypesetting methods.

Our instructor had retired from the art department, where her specialty was pen and ink fashion ads for local department stores. I loved her work, and I loved the look of those ads. I am sure Nancy did similar things.
  #203   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia, it sounds as if you'v had a great creative life in many fashions...that is a great ...

getting ready for a few meetings this afternoon.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo, thinking of your comment about your work improving over time...and it should evolve...mine has evolved not sure for the better in some cases, but there has been some morphing...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #205   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:51 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Becca and Marcia, good advice, I did contact the buyer and am waiting (hoping) for a reply.

Nancy, you must really love your daughter and I hope the wait isn't such a long one. I agree that you should ask your doctor about the hot flashes.

Delo, it's kind of you to offer that stylus to Marcia! Best wishes with your watercolor. You probably already know of it, but if not, you'll love the handprint.org site, which has a wealth of useful info.

Becca and Marcia, my beginnings in art were similar. In kindergarden, I painted a horse that the rest of the class - and the teacher - ooh'd and ahh'd over, and I was hooked forever! Funny you should mention fashion design, Marcia, as I have to confess spending much of my high school geometry class doing fashion design sketches! I won the BofA award in design at high school graduation. As I mentioned, my university art department was just not a good fit for me - it was an era of mostly silly political art and minimalism. So I changed majors, but retained my love of design and eventually headed toward architecture, where I enjoyed designing a lot. However, there was little time for anything else but, and I was unable to pursue fine art. I also spent time doing other things. But much of what I did - drafting and design-wise, was of benefit for painting (and I did eventually realize the use for geometry which can be beneficial in painting too!) I can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
As much as I wished I had been able to be an artist my entire life, I figure the other experiences I had, for better or worse, helped shape me, so there's that. We all have interesting stories that led us here.
Well said, Marcia. That's my experience too and if I had experienced a life without twists and turns, things would simply be too boring to do art.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne