Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Help! Copper Patina Question

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by deke.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    talisman

I’ve been working on a copper relief artwork and I went to do the liver of sulfur patina on it.
        It doesn’t seem to be working.
        I made up a fresh batch.
        The concentrate is quite old maybe ten years old or so, does this stuff get weak or expire?
        Last time I used it was about five years ago, I don’t do the copper very often.
        Any advice would be appreciated.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
        C and C always welcome.
        My DeviantArt Gallery

I use liver of sulfur a lot. I don’t know how long it lasts but do know it’s very unstable in light, keep it in a dark place when you store it.

What problem are you having? The copper must first be cleaned thoroughly or the liver of sulfur will not adhere. Also, you need to make sure you are mixing the correct amount of water with it; the brand I use is liquid, made by St Louis Crafters Co. Mine calls for something like a tablespoon of liver of sulfur per cup of water.

I’m guessing the issue you’re having is due to the age.

By the way, I like your work. I hope to see the relief you are working on.

Best regards,
        David

www.davidsmithart.com

talisman

Thank you so much for responding!
            It’s just not getting dark-black enough.
            I did do the portions right mine is the same brand but I have been storing in on a shelf in the art room for a while, not a lighted area but not dark that’s for sure. Thanks for that heads up! I’ll take better care next time.
            I ordered some new liver of sulfur, from amazon it’s in gel form not sure about that but, experiment is at the heart of art so here goes.
            I’ll post over here after the 21st of this month as this is my Fantasy and Sci-Fi Challenge work this month.
            Hydra on copper foil.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
            C and C always welcome.
            My DeviantArt Gallery

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.