Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Humburger

I have always loved photos of this castle. This particular reference was very dark and earthy toned. I am assuming it was a sunset. I tried to be quick and loose with it. I pulled up the reference on the computer across the room from my easel and when I was done and looked at the reference up close, I was very surprised at the detail that I had not even seen, let alone put into the painting. But, I am going to leave it like that. I sort of like it and sort of hate it. LOL!

12×16 white panel, oils with a small filbert bristle, medium filbert nylon, and palette knife.

Ginny
        www.virginiacmccoy.com
        C & C Welcome

Arnie

Love the warm earthy colours, the contrast of the sky against the castle, and the brushwork in the water adding movement. Enough detail to make it work for me.
            Arnie

Reddyman

Ginny

This has such a nice warmth to it and as Jim mentionned it is the famed Eilean Donan Castle in Scotland. Such a beautiful castle with all its wonderful character. You have done a great job of it with nice depth and the water has that loose feel but also nice movement.
                Well done.
                John

“I sort of like it and sort of hate it.”

I know that feeling well.

This turned out well. I like the palette knife work in the water, seems like a good tool for that use. Sticking with basic shapes rather than details makes the castle look solid, a good thing for a castle I would say. Nice sky as well. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Humburger

Thank you, Arnie. I was attracted by the strangeness of the water against thesky. I loved the earthy tones, too, of the reference.

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

Humburger

Thank you, John and Gary. I have a hard time with using enough paint. I can’t decide if I am afraid to waste paint or not, but the stinginess makes it difficult to lay color. Any advice?

Ginny
                        www.virginiacmccoy.com
                        C & C Welcome

Aussiesrus

The castle looks good & I love those pallet knife strokes used to render the fg water. These strokes appear not stingy but textured, spontaneous & confidently rendered indeed. I like that method. Well done Ginney !

Michael.

michaelcartwrightart.com.au
                            https://bluethumb.com.au/michael-cartwright
                            I'M NOT AS THINK AS YOU DRUNK I AM

Nice work, especially with the foreground water. Feels like I could touch it and get a wet hand.

Dcam
                                Dorrart

I like the strong modeling of form in the castle. The color gives the feeling that the building was assembled from materials pulled from the local ground.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Bardo

Ginny,
                                        Brooding. Mysterious. Intriguing. Very nice painting!
                                        Freeman

Humburger

Thanks, all. I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, I dropped this painting face down while wet. The second one this week. I hope I stop that, soon!

Ginny
                                            www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                            C & C Welcome

kentiessen

Your handling of the sky is terrific against the simplicity of the warms of the structure! Ps- don’t touch it. Let it dry, then brush it off and retouch.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                                Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Humburger

Thanks, Ken. I actually picked it up and started messing with it. I didn’t do too much extra damage. I will take your advice. 😊

Ginny
                                                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                                    C & C Welcome

Bizzibee

Lovely, juicy brushwork, and I like those deep, earthy tones.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.